Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Can't unclip -- cyclist almost drowns

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 03:32 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cyclist rescued after falling into Rideau Canal, sinking with bike - Ottawa - CBC News
Old 05-19-15, 03:36 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here we go. This is going to be a Looonngg thread!
Old 05-19-15, 05:11 PM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
From my read, he wasn't riding clip less, but with toe clips. So let's ban both clips and clip less - just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-19-15, 05:28 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a 50/50 to it.

OTOH he should have been on solid ground and not near water. Since it seems to say that he lacked experience using clips and he could have drowned.

The flipside is, he actually suffered bodily injuries, that were far less. Compared to what could have happened if, he had hit solid ground.
Old 05-19-15, 05:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
IMO the story here isn't about bicycles, but low parapets. I don't know how often things happen here, but this path isn't forgiving of rider, or even runner, error. It's easy to trip, or lose control of a bike, maybe while trying to avoid a dog on a leash, and go into the drink. If this were a road, you could be sure there'd be guardrails. Likewise with balconies, porches, or similar architectural details.

According to the report, there was an incident this winter where someone suffered a head injury going over into a dry canal.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-19-15, 06:08 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The objective bits is that the guy was 63. He was in toe clips and that he was in the water going down and was rescued by another biker and jogger. Police are looking into it. From these small bit of info. - hard to says what was going on. I hope he's OK?
Old 05-19-15, 06:25 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems clearly unclear if he was using 'toe-clips' or 'clipless' since most people would describe 'clipless' as 'clips' and we all say we are 'clipped in' when using clipless pedals.

It seems weird that someone couldn't get out of toe-clips but maybe...

The thread should probably be called "Can't free feet -- cyclist almost drowns."

Last edited by asmac; 05-19-15 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 06:34 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
..It seems weird that someone couldn't get out of toe-clips but maybe...
It's very difficult to get out of toe clips if wearing cleats on the shoes...original cleats as intended for use with toe clips, not clipless cleats. You have to manually release the strap to get your foot out.
Old 05-19-15, 06:53 PM
RussB

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 5.2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling rule # 263..... When cycling near water always wear your Helmet air bag.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
helmet.JPG (30.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-19-15, 06:59 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What about the bike?
Old 05-19-15, 07:01 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
IMO the story here isn't about bicycles, but low parapets.
I can't imagine that would exist here without guardrails. They have large rails on sidewalks here at any point where water might collect during heavy rain. Even the smallest depressions.
Old 05-19-15, 07:08 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
It's very difficult to get out of toe clips if wearing cleats on the shoes...original cleats as intended for use with toe clips, not clipless cleats. You have to manually release the strap to get your foot out.
Under normal circumstances, it takes but a fraction of a second to release the tension on the strap and remove your foot from the toe clip, with or without cleats. It's not difficult. If someone is disoriented from a crash and then goes into the water, likely to induce panic, that's another story. No matter how the person is clipped in, this is not a good thing and it's great that there were people there to help him and that he will probably be ok.
Old 05-19-15, 07:08 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Not to be cruel, but "I've fallen and I can't .... unclip!". Maybe they'll make life vests mandatory when within 20 ft of water, including backyard pools. Actually, I get nervous when I ride my bike past the pool, especially when I'm on my electric bike.
Old 05-20-15, 05:39 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
Under normal circumstances, it takes but a fraction of a second to release the tension on the strap and remove your foot from the toe clip, with or without cleats. It's not difficult. If someone is disoriented from a crash and then goes into the water, likely to induce panic, that's another story. No matter how the person is clipped in, this is not a good thing and it's great that there were people there to help him and that he will probably be ok.
Perhaps a second or two, under normal circumstances, but if you're falling in the drink you have to reach down, find the strap with your hand and release it, then do the same for the other foot... That's not as easy as twisting your foot out of a clipless pedal...which I believe is one reason clipless pedals were invented and caught on; the ease, not the falling in the drink part.

Of course there are always those who will eschew modern conveniences.

Last edited by Looigi; 05-20-15 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 07:24 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Reminds me of the recent conversation I had with a motorist, who always unbuckles his seat belt on this one stretch of highway that parallels a deep, fast moving river. If it were not for the fact that I have driven this same stretch of road, wearing a seat belt, and without incident, his theory might have had some traction with me.
Though, the thought of drowning is not even on the radar for my not using clippless pedals.
Old 05-20-15, 07:49 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I rode the pathways on both sides of the Rideau Canal this weekend, there were tens of thousands of cyclists out - it was bot the first weekend of the year for 'Sunday Bike Days' as well as the Tulip fest, not to mention just a beautiful weekend weather wise. THis was an unfortunate incident but the low curbs in some places next to the canal (as opposed to the guard rails along most of it) are simply not a hazard the vast majority of the time. Even though the water is cold this time of year, he was probably better off falling in now that in Augus when the weeds have grown long and completely choked the canal, and thousands of boats are floating past and illegally pumping out their toilets.

The real scary part was the cyclists inability to get his feet out of the toe clips. I have said many times (often in discussions on this site) that clipless pedals are safer than toe clips because of the consistent release.
Old 05-20-15, 12:24 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
From these small bit of info. - hard to says what was going on.
Messiah complex, obviously. He was trying to ride on the water, but lacked sufficient faith.
Old 05-20-15, 12:54 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO the story here isn't about bicycles, but low parapets. I don't know how often things happen here, but this path isn't forgiving of rider, or even runner, error. It's easy to trip, or lose control of a bike, maybe while trying to avoid a dog on a leash, and go into the drink. If this were a road, you could be sure there'd be guardrails. Likewise with balconies, porches, or similar architectural details.

According to the report, there was an incident this winter where someone suffered a head injury going over into a dry canal.
i rather have no rail, then to get some cheesegrater "guardrail"
Old 05-20-15, 01:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
i rather have no rail, then to get some cheesegrater "guardrail"
I'm actually with you here, and don't think a guardrail is necessary --- if/when there's water in the canal. The actual risk of drowning is low. The water isn't that deep and it takes time to drown. Once the initial shock is over, a rider has plenty of time to either unclip or remove his shoes, or whatever --- if he doesn't panic.

OTOH- the article alluded to someone suffering a severe head injury from dropping a few feet onto rocks when the canal was dry. IMO - if adequate water depth isn't maintained the edge with rocks below is far worse, and would warrant a rail of some sort.

But no matter how you slice it, it remains each rider's responsibility to ride in control. Water is the least of the possible hazards, and we routinely ride past trees, boulders, benches and other hazards along roads and trails, and I, for one, don't want to live in a world of padded walls flanking every path and road.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-20-15, 01:14 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I ride clipless and this is my route; I like to live on the edge Just like U2's guitar player!

2015 FEB, NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 05-20-15, 01:20 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Obviously the guy needs a lighter bike with some big, fat tubes to keep him afloat.
Old 05-20-15, 02:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
looks like a good place for a railing
Old 05-20-15, 02:47 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Relevant:

*I think there are some German profanity in this
Old 05-20-15, 03:08 PM
desconhecido 

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I rode the pathways on both sides of the Rideau Canal this weekend, there were tens of thousands of cyclists out - it was bot the first weekend of the year for 'Sunday Bike Days' as well as the Tulip fest, not to mention just a beautiful weekend weather wise. THis was an unfortunate incident but the low curbs in some places next to the canal (as opposed to the guard rails along most of it) are simply not a hazard the vast majority of the time. Even though the water is cold this time of year, he was probably better off falling in now that in Augus when the weeds have grown long and completely choked the canal, and thousands of boats are floating past and illegally pumping out their toilets.

The real scary part was the cyclists inability to get his feet out of the toe clips. I have said many times (often in discussions on this site) that clipless pedals are safer than toe clips because of the consistent release.
There's no good reason to conclude the guy was using clips and straps as opposed to clipless. The video demonstrates the issue with clipless.
Old 05-20-15, 03:37 PM
desconhecido 

I'm actually with you here, and don't think a guardrail is necessary --- if/when there's water in the canal. The actual risk of drowning is low. The water isn't that deep and it takes time to drown. Once the initial shock is over, a rider has plenty of time to either unclip or remove his shoes, or whatever --- if he doesn't panic.
[...].
The problem is that when someone has a crash and then ends up under water, reason and logic vanish with the first swallow/breath of water. People who are in danger of drowning often panic violently and irrationally. Trying to logically and reasonably figure out why you can't get upright in three feet of water when you've already aspirated and are probably disoriented from the crash -- it's tough. That's why water boarding works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.