Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Can I Store My Bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How Can I Store My Bike?

Old 08-14-18, 08:43 AM
CJohnson101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Can I Store My Bike?

Hi, my name is Charlie and I am going in to College. I need some kind of storage device for my bike (Full suspension mtb, wheel size 27.5 × 2.3) that will not ruin the walls (for example no nails or screws), and preferably store it vertically to save space... Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 08-14-18, 08:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
On Campus Dorm room? get a transport bag , and disassemble it enough,
to go in it?
Old 08-14-18, 09:00 AM
brandonk

Bikes: 84 John Howard, 85 Raleigh Kodiak, 84 Ross Mt whitney, 74 Masi, 82 Allez

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
You can get a wall storage rack that does not fasten to the wall but is jammed between the floor and ceiling instead, if you have a drywall ceiling use a board on top to spread the load.
Old 08-14-18, 09:09 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey man, don't worry about nailing and screwing in your dorm room. It's VERY easy to fill the holes in your dorm room, plus there are some great vertical storage options that require minimal mounting...

Reliancer 4 Color Foldable Vertical Bike Rack

Old 08-14-18, 09:14 AM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Bikes: Brown Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Allez Double Steel, and Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy furniture that makes it looks good, get cheap van off craigslist for under $1000 for storing it, put in a bike bag, or whatever is suggested here.
Old 08-14-18, 10:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
if it is the right frame size ... you can store it at my house.
Old 08-14-18, 10:28 AM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those wall mounts look nifty - way better looking than the hooks from a hardware store!
Old 08-14-18, 10:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Charlie,
Congratulations on leaving on your school adventure. At college, you will be challenged to research and solve problems individually and in groups, as well as being tested against standards to prove your mastery of the subjects.

It's good that you've taken on this "bike storage" problem. Have you tried the phone application "Google"? If you launch this application, and type in the words "free standing bicycle storage" it'll give you some options to follow. Click on the "Shopping" tab.

Scroll down a few entries, and you'll find a nice free standing unit from Overstock.com for $66.49. That's the unit that I would recommend.

Good luck with the rest of your college career. PG
Old 08-14-18, 10:33 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Minoura DS-1200 is a super cool solution, but runs about a hundred bucks.

I would look at some sort of tripod-base workstand, like the ever-favorite $30 Bikemate stand found at Aldi. Plenty of options also around or under $50 on Amazon.
Old 08-14-18, 10:52 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I suggest a vertical wall mount with a single cheap hook. Holes are really easy to fill, or just pay the $20 hole repair charge the dorm charges. A rubber coated hook (big enough for the front wheel to easily fit into) from a hardware store is like $2. Mount the hook as high as you can reasonably lift the bike's front wheel up to while holding the seat tube and handlebars (I did mine at about 8 feet), but make sure the hook goes directly into the center of a wooden 2x4 stud (and not into a weak sheetmetal stud, which may allow the hook to rip out). Using an electronic stud finder to find the dead center of the stud, and then drilling a pilot hole is recommended so the stud doesn't split and lose strength, causing the hook to rip out.
Old 08-14-18, 11:24 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...nd-apartments/

Wirecutter recommends Delta Cycle Michelangelo Gravity Stand
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ACAM38
Old 08-14-18, 11:28 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrewFan
Those wall mounts look nifty - way better looking than the hooks from a hardware store!
I've had some wall mounts that didn't have the little tire guards and my walls got pretty jacked up from all the smudges. Wasn't hard to clean off, but it looked pretty gnarly. So If you DO decide to go for a wall mount, think about getting one with those tire guards, helps to keep things clean!
Old 08-14-18, 11:33 AM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBraden
I've had some wall mounts that didn't have the little tire guards and my walls got pretty jacked up from all the smudges. Wasn't hard to clean off, but it looked pretty gnarly. So If you DO decide to go for a wall mount, think about getting one with those tire guards, helps to keep things clean!

That's a good point - the little lady will appreciate the cleaner look for sure!
Old 08-14-18, 11:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you're going to be in a dorm, contact the campus housing office right now, before you arrive on campus, and ask what the options are. Be specific.
Old 08-14-18, 11:48 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
If you're going to be in a dorm, contact the campus housing office right now, before you arrive on campus, and ask what the options are. Be specific.
but use another persons name and room # in case you have to bandit the whole operation!
Old 08-15-18, 07:03 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago. Moved into an apartment and needed to store a couple bikes indoors (the others were ok on the balcony). I was pretty limited on cash, so with some basic tools I already had, I purchased 3 2x4's frome Home Depot and made a free standing 2 bike rack. So far it's worked out really well!

Old 08-15-18, 08:09 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
or if you want to hang it vertically, use the above rack and hang the bike by the handlebars, you may need to make the feet extend out further to prevent the rack from falling over.
Old 08-16-18, 03:45 AM
KeithMcPherson

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can search for Swagman 80955 - Bike Storage, Wall-Mount, that's the one I've got in the garage. However, it does require nailing... Yet, it's reliable, as I've had it for several years with no probs at all
Old 08-17-18, 06:45 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Waaaay back in the Dark Ages (1970s), while in the dorm at Ohio State, I took the wheels off and stored the frame under the (bunk) bed in my dorm room. Roomie did the same with his bike (two frames under one bunk bed), wheels were in the closet. Never had a problem.
Old 08-27-18, 07:47 AM
CJohnson101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
On Campus Dorm room? get a transport bag , and disassemble it enough,
to go in it?
Hmm, thanks for the idea but I'd rather not have to do all that when I'm headed out riding and returning again.
Old 08-27-18, 07:48 AM
CJohnson101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandonk
You can get a wall storage rack that does not fasten to the wall but is jammed between the floor and ceiling instead, if you have a drywall ceiling use a board on top to spread the load.
Ok, that's a good idea ill keep that in mind!
Old 08-27-18, 07:53 AM
CJohnson101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I suggest a vertical wall mount with a single cheap hook. Holes are really easy to fill, or just pay the $20 hole repair charge the dorm charges. A rubber coated hook (big enough for the front wheel to easily fit into) from a hardware store is like $2. Mount the hook as high as you can reasonably lift the bike's front wheel up to while holding the seat tube and handlebars (I did mine at about 8 feet), but make sure the hook goes directly into the center of a wooden 2x4 stud (and not into a weak sheetmetal stud, which may allow the hook to rip out). Using an electronic stud finder to find the dead center of the stud, and then drilling a pilot hole is recommended so the stud doesn't split and lose strength, causing the hook to rip out.
Wow, thanks for such an awesome response! Its a good idea, and very descriptive which I really appreciate! However, I'm not really allowed to store my bike in my room so I'm keeping it on the down-low. They may ask why I drilled into their walls because I dont believe they'd be too keen on me drilling holes to store my bike haha, thank you so much though!
Old 08-27-18, 07:55 AM
CJohnson101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBraden
Thank you so much for the tip! I'll keep that in mind!
Old 08-27-18, 07:57 AM
CJohnson101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago. Moved into an apartment and needed to store a couple bikes indoors (the others were ok on the balcony). I was pretty limited on cash, so with some basic tools I already had, I purchased 3 2x4's frome Home Depot and made a free standing 2 bike rack. So far it's worked out really well!
This is an amazing idea, thank you!
Old 08-27-18, 11:06 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJohnson101
Hi, my name is Charlie and I am going in to College. I need some kind of storage device for my bike (Full suspension mtb, wheel size 27.5 × 2.3) that will not ruin the walls (for example no nails or screws), and preferably store it vertically to save space... Any suggestions? Thanks!
I wouldn't be bringing my nice/good bike to school unless planning to go on trails and etc.*

I would say get a folding bike.*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.