Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Charity Events
Reload this Page >

Pan Mass Challenge 2019

Notices
Charity Events Whether you're looking for riders, sponsors, or volunteers, this is the place to tell the world that cyclists can make a difference.

Pan Mass Challenge 2019

Old 05-09-19, 04:17 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Pan Mass Challenge 2019

Just curious if anyone from this site is riding the PMC this year. I'm doing the Sturbridge-Provincetown route again.
Old 05-09-19, 05:16 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
I'd love to do that ride, but too much dough.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 05-14-19, 04:05 PM
dmanthree

Yeah..

Originally Posted by top506
I'd love to do that ride, but too much dough.

The route I'm riding has a $5K minimum. I've ridden it three times before, and trust me, this is the last time. Fundraising is just impossible. And then there's the riding part...
Old 06-01-19, 05:03 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I would love to do Pan Mass, but the fundraising minimum is too high. I'm struggling to raise $500 for a similar charity. I think it would be a little easier to get people to give for Pan Mass since I'm Boston based so all my friends/family are far too familiar with Dana Farber and their work. But my company doesn't help with these things and you really need corporate help or friends with really deep pockets (and generous hearts).

I know there are shorter routes with lower minimums and even virtual rider where you do what you want. But since everyone here is familiar with the Pan Mass, they are going to assume I'm riding Sturbridge to Provincetown and I'd feel like I was "cheating" if I accepted donations and did a shorter ride.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 06-02-19, 06:39 PM
dmanthree

Fundraising is high. Someone who works the event told me that about half the riders don't even bother, and just write a check. I believe it. But I'm not one of them.
Old 01-08-20, 08:32 AM
NomarsGirl

So despite my complaints about the high minimum, I am registered to ride. I'm planning a charity pub crawl to raise money. If you are in the Boston area, watch this space for information. As soon as I have the details set I'll post the link to if anyone wants tickets.

Tricia Dunlea's PMC
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 01-08-20, 08:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I knew someone who rode this for years. he started because a neighbor of his was stricken. he, himself, would later die from cancer. I used to donate on his behalf but never rode it. it's a noble cause & easy to at least donate something

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-08-20 at 09:08 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-08-20, 09:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Pan Mass Challenge [2020]
Originally Posted by top506
I'd love to do that ride, but too much dough
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I knew someone who rode this for years. he started because a neighbor of his was stricken. he, himself, would later die from cancer. I used to donate on his behalf but never rode it. it's a noble cause & easy to at least donate something
I have previously posted…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… to this thread, "Little rant: I hate charity events"
I’ve read that the reason such athletic events as Charity Rides, Swims and Runs are popular is because the value of the benefit received by the participant is near zero, and thus the entire donation is tax-deductible. For example if one attends a gala fundraising dinner, the cost of the dinner is not tax-deductible...

Here in Massachusetts the premier fund-raising Ride with an expected donation of around at least about $3500 is the Pan Massachusetts Challenge (Pan-Mass, PMC), about 150 miles in two days to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. They do take your credit card number before the Ride. It may well be the largest such event in total donations.

When anyone finds out I'm a cyclist, they usually ask "Do you do the Pan-Mass?"
...Soon afterwardsI caught up with a rider wearing a really cool Boston Red Sox cycling jersey, a souvenir of the 2002 Pan Mass Challenge.
So instead of merely soliciting donations, those organizations provide a tax-deductible experience for a “gallant” cause.
Old 01-08-20, 10:25 AM
NomarsGirl

Not sure how to quote Jim's complicated post, but I do need to correct it. The PMC does not provide a tax-deductible experience for a gallant cause. Only the donation is tax deductible and 100% of that goes to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute for their work. There is also an entry fee that does not count toward the fundraising minimum and is not tax deductible that helps defray the cost of the ride. Corporate sponsors help with the rest of the costs of putting on the event. Unlike most organized rides, 100% of the donations go directly to the cause - none to overhead.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 01-08-20, 10:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Not sure how to quote Jim's complicated post, but I do need to correct it. The PMC does not provide a tax-deductible experience for a gallant cause. Only the donation is tax deductible and 100% of that goes to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute for their work.

There is also an entry fee that does not count toward the fundraising minimum and is not tax deductible that helps defray the cost of the ride. Corporate sponsors help with the rest of the costs of putting on the event. Unlike most organized rides, 100% of the donations go directly to the cause - none to overhead.
I presume that the entry fee is nominal, compared to the donation?

I have done charity rides with less expensive minimal donations funded entirely by me, and I have donated to the PMC at the behest of a friend who rides.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-08-20 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 01:31 PM
NomarsGirl

Compared to the donation, yes. But not small. Certainly more than enough to cover my Jersey, a spot to sleep in the gym at mass maritime, meals and my share of the other expenses they incur. Im not even using the transportation back from the finish line.

Donors are not funding my cool bike ride. Every penny they give goes to the charity.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 01-08-20, 06:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Not sure how to quote Jim's complicated post, but I do need to correct it. The PMC does not provide a tax-deductible experience for a gallant cause. Only the donation is tax deductible and 100% of that goes to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute for their work.

There is also an entry fee that does not count toward the fundraising minimum and is not tax deductible that helps defray the cost of the ride.

Corporate sponsors help with the rest of the costs of putting on the event. Unlike most organized rides, 100% of the donations go directly to the cause - none to overhead.
Compared to the donation, yes. But not small. Certainly more than enough to cover my Jersey, a spot to sleep in the gym at mass maritime, meals and my share of the other expenses they incur. Im not even using the transportation back from the finish line.

Donors are not funding my cool bike ride. Every penny they give goes to the charity.
So indeed you can assure the donors that their donation is 100% tax deductible (and entirely) goes to the DFCI, but the resources of the ride are of monetary value not tax deductible, but your personal donation is.

I presume that if the Pan-Mass challenge were not a charitable ride, that registration fee (only) would be a reasonable deal because the Pan-Mass is a well-organized function. As I described, the real deal is for the PMC and its recipients,
I’ve read that the reason such athletic events as Charity Rides, Swims and Runs are popular is because the value of the benefit received by the participant [“donor” or "solicited donor"] is near zero [or assumed by the rider], and thus the entire donation is tax-deductible…
Still a gallant gesture IMO, and even more so because you have to expend some non-deductible cash, and then solicit donors.

I have ridden several times on the local "Rodman Ride for Kids." a one day event out of Foxboro, MA, and as I recall, only a donation was required, with no registration fee. They provided marked routes, breakfast and lunch, a police detail, and a goody bag. The site was at the Rodman Fitness Center, and showers were available. The beneficiaries were a collection of children's social services, and the Ride used many volunteers from those agencies.

There were several corporate cycling teams identified by their jerseys, as I'm sure are on the Pan-Mass. I have tried to encourage some social agencies I am familiar with to participate, particularly since I could direct my tax-deductible donation solely to them. My other personal satisfactions were that I knew Don Rodman personally as a honorable philanthropist (recently deceased) and the September date is convenient to get out on the Road in the Summer to train for the Century,

The routes are always pleasant. The minimal donation was $1000, easily achieved between myself and my professional organization. For me this has been a "gallant tax-deductible experience."

I haven't found a schedule for 2020, but 2019 was the 28th year.

Presumably corporate donations are completely deductible, and many I believe donate "in kind" for the intangible beneft of "goodwill."

I’m particularly skeptical of solicitation to support a lone rider requesting funds in support of (his) particular cause.

PS to NomarsGirl: FYA I edited my reply to you this morning (Thursday).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-09-20 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added details about the Rodman Ride for Kids
Old 01-30-20, 04:11 PM
lapola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The route I'm riding has a $5K minimum. I've ridden it three times before, and trust me, this->my ip birthday wishes tneb is the last time. Fundraising is just impossible. And then there's the riding part...

Last edited by lapola; 01-31-20 at 05:44 PM.