Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel helmets?

Old 06-25-19, 12:20 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So all this talk has made me hyper aware of using my helmet without a visor on MTB trails.
I am so totally in violation of this. I always thought the visors on helmets looked silly.

I guess we're working up a set of requirements here for a gravel helmet. The visor should retract or pivot out of the way in some fashion to allow the user to code-switch as they transition from singletrack to roads. Meanwhile, I think some sort of screen over helmet vents to keep rocks and stinging bugs out would be practically mandatory.
Maybe it could combine wavecell and MIPS together for ultimate injury prevention.
Old 06-26-19, 12:12 PM
chemistry76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Maybe I am missing something, but why would there be a need for anything beyond a regular helmet from the shop/store?

If the difference between a road and mtb helmet is a plastic visor, then wear the helmet whichever way you want and go ride gravel.

If a gravel helmet comes out, the shark officially will have been jumped.
They've come out with gravel specific shoes.... so yea, that shark is close.
Old 06-27-19, 07:59 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Road helmet? MTB helmet? I have one helmet at a time, and I wear it for all cycling.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 06-28-19, 10:51 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Are two helmets really necessary for XC mountain riding and road riding? I wear the same one for both.
Old 06-29-19, 05:58 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I hope they’d have gravel gloves and socks in matching colors.
Old 06-29-19, 09:27 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,014 Posts
I bought my last helmet at a LBS ( 50 miles away in Kerrville Texas ) and I never bother to see if it was a road or mountain bike helmet. It’s a Giro Savant. Fits well and is comfortable. So far so good.
Old 07-01-19, 08:40 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by chemistry76
They've come out with gravel specific shoes.... so yea, that shark is close.
I had to look this up... I'm assuming you're talking about the Shimano XC5 shoes. Looks pretty silly to me. I'm wearing clipless cycling shoes but trying to look like I'm not wearing clipless shoes and still have to worry about shoelaces getting caught in the chainring? Looks like more of a fashion statement to me.
Old 07-01-19, 11:19 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by event horizon
Things for you to consider:

-There are many laced cycling shoes that aren't marketed as being gravel shoes
-The lacing isn't a fashion statement, nor is the lacing used so folks can look like they're not wearing clipless shoes
-Laces provide a more comfortable and secure fit than velcro and cable systems
-Only someone with an utter lack of understanding about how these shoes function would imagine that folks that using these laced shoes would have to worry about shoe laces getting caught in the chain ring.
Sorry, didn't mean to touch a nerve there...
What do other lace up shoes have to do with this? My comment about trying to not look like clipless shoes is the general styling of this shoe when I searched for a review. Looks like fashionable sneakers or something. https://bikerumor.com/2017/11/17/rev...ling-footwear/
I didn't mention anything about comfort, but being able to reach down on the fly and adjust just one strap on a velcro shoe as I warm up or cool down is something I do fairly frequently. Not an option with laces.
Ok, they have a keeper for the laces. Which is pretty much an admission by the designer that if you don't secure your laces somehow that they will find their way into the chain and at very least get greasy. I'm really not sure how to take your last point since the only person wearing lace up shoes who doesn't have to think about it getting caught in the chain ring is someone not riding a bicycle.
Old 07-01-19, 11:33 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Not necessary, but good mtb helmets offer more coverage(back of the skull) than road helmets.
Makes sense for more rugged mountain biking but the kind of riding I do I guess the one helmet is sufficient.
Old 07-01-19, 11:37 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 912 Posts
I'm just going to leave this right here.

The future of all cycling hats.

https://www.smarthat.info
Likes For base2:
Old 07-01-19, 12:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Re lace-ups, for those with high arches, laces can be re-routed to avoid the high spot and thereby prevent some discomfort.

I've had to do this on some running shoes.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-01-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 12:48 PM
Caliper

Thanks for the apology, my ulnar nerve appreciates it.
Honestly wasn't trying to be funny there. Your response was pretty surprising.

The other laced shoes, for example, Giro's offerings, look similar. Your assumption that "they're trying to not look like clipless shoe" is what made me chuckle and prompted my response.
An image search for Giro's just look like road shoes with laces. These look like sneakers. My honest first thought was that it looked like something for a fixie rider.

Not needed with laces as the the retention load is more evenly spread out across the instep. They're set and forget.
Evenly spread tension does not work for me in cycling. I intentionally have different tension on the straps. Set and forget doesn't work because that's not how my feet work. Good tension now might not be good later. This is especially true on cooler spring rides when you start out a bit chilly so need the shoe tighter to keep your foot from sliding about and chafing but once warmed up need to relax the tension to allow circulation to continue. FWIW, I often readjust tension on the laces of laced shoes and boots as well if I have them tighter than slip-on tension.
Old 07-01-19, 02:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10903 Post(s)
Liked 7,394 Times in 4,149 Posts
Things for you to consider:
-Laces provide a more comfortable and secure fit than velcro and cable systems
Perhaps thats accurate for some. And its perhaps also accurate that some find BOA to be more comfortable.
I have 0 interest in lacing my shoes. a velcro strap at the toebox never moves because its right where I like for tightness, and a BOA up higher gives me fast connection with micro-adjusting. I cant get that with laces, especially considering they loosen up over time.
When riding, I can loosen or tighten the shoes on the bike is 5 seconds, so if I get a rare hotspot or toe numb, I can adjust while still riding.

I am not going to declare BOA as a better tightening system, but I certainly like it more. The beauty is that there are multiple tightening systems so someone can find what they like.
Old 07-01-19, 07:18 PM
DoJoMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have a wide foot and high instep. I’ve been wearing Sidi Mega and Shimano wide shoes for years (7,000-9,000 miles per year). I was completely happy with their closures over the years, and more recently the boa-style closures. I could adjust mid-ride as needed. That said, this is the first year I have worn lace-ups... OMG they are a game changer and I am converted. As was said, they are set and forget. They are good for all day riding with no need to adjust. Maybe I look like a hipster, but who cares.
Old 07-01-19, 07:30 PM
flyjimmy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I love the banana helmet. It would go perfect with my coconut bikini top.
Old 07-01-19, 07:34 PM
flyjimmy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I always carry two helmets. A road bike one for paved surfaces and a mountain bike helmet for the dirt. Should I plan on 3 or will a new gravel specific helmet suffice for all non paved roads? Or just switch to bananas.
Old 07-02-19, 08:58 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Laced cycling shoes are dumb and stupid and totally a fashion statement. It'll be something when wood soles come back - marketing about sustainable Osage orange and how it's 3x the stiffness of carbon or something.
Ever had a BOA clog with mud or break? Ever had the crappy Velcro or the ratchet strap on Sidis go to pot prematurely?

Laces aren't a fashion statement. You get a better fit, albeit slightly more fussy to get right. And spares are available anywhere there's a shoe department....as opposed to BOA for example, which is a hassle to get right widget and the shipping costs 3x as much as the part.
Old 07-02-19, 03:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by flyjimmy
I always carry two helmets. A road bike one for paved surfaces and a mountain bike helmet for the dirt. Should I plan on 3 or will a new gravel specific helmet suffice for all non paved roads? Or just switch to bananas.
It isn't about the surface but the handlebars. Two helmets in your arsenal will suffice and only one need be in your quiver at any time.

A road bike helmet is appropriate for drop bars while a MTB helmet is appropriate for flat bars.

Buttefly type bars and recumbents are uncommon enough that any type of helmet is appropriate.

That's all.

-Tim-
Old 07-03-19, 08:49 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
It isn't about the surface but the handlebars. Two helmets in your arsenal will suffice and only one need be in your quiver at any time.

A road bike helmet is appropriate for drop bars while a MTB helmet is appropriate for flat bars.

Buttefly type bars and recumbents are uncommon enough that any type of helmet is appropriate.

That's all.

-Tim-
I don't get it.
Old 07-03-19, 09:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by CyclingFever
I don't get it.
Drop bar = road helmet

Flat bar = MTB helmet

-Tim-
Old 07-03-19, 09:20 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Drop bar = road helmet

Flat bar = MTB helmet

-Tim-
Why though?
Old 07-03-19, 09:32 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFever
Why though?
Flat bars typically position the rider more upright, where having a visor doesn't interfere with vision.
Old 07-03-19, 09:34 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Priorities! I choose the one that holds my bike up the best.

Old 07-03-19, 10:00 AM
DoJoMN

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Flat bars typically position the rider more upright, where having a visor doesn't interfere with vision.
Also, many MTB helmets come a bit farther down the back of the head, for protection. In the more upright position of a flat bar bike, this isn't an issue. However, with the lower position of a drop bar bike, with the head tilted a bit farther up, this can cause discomfort at the back of the head/top of the neck. Too add confusion to this, many XC flat bar riders ride a very low position, which is why many of them use a road helmet. Conversely, many gravel bikes have a more upright position, which means... get the one that fits your head and your bike position.
Old 07-03-19, 10:26 AM
Kevin R

Bikes: Raleigh Militis 3 Custom Build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As with most everything is sports, we are being sold overpriced stuff we don't necessarily need.

Helmets and other gear are coming out every year; but think about it, what has really changed?and does it mean what i currently own is no longer valid?

Newer tech is sometimes so expensive the majority of cyclists cant afford it anyways.

I don't ever discount good engineering, this is mainly what determines my purchases; but Most of what you pay for today is over hyped........

Marketing is a female dog.....