Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Replace A Banged Helmet??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 07:27 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I was riding at the weekend and had just had to stop suddenly as some people coming the other way came downhill and round a corner fast and as I pulled away it felt like my brakes were still on so I was looking down at the wheel instead of ahead of me as I gathered speed again and didn't see a tree branch that was drooping down into my path and smacked it with a hefty impact ... all I can say is thank goodness I was wearing a helmet.

It's broken the covering in a couple of places but it seems to be superficial and there doesn't appear to be any other damage .... if I push hard in the areas where the covering's been affected it seems totally solid ... would you replace the helmet as a matter of course or would you think it's OK???

I only started wearing a helmet a coupe of years ago when I became a "more serious cyclist" but the number of people I know that have had accidents that if they weren't swearing one could have been really quite serious ... a friend of my parents ... their son wasn't and he has to be permanently looked after / can't hold a job or anything .... can't believe how stupid I was for so many years!!

Interested to hear people's thoughts on the helmet although I'm erring towards it'd probably be stupid not to replace it.
Old 07-01-19, 07:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I was riding at the weekend and had just had to stop suddenly as some people coming the other way came downhill and round a corner fast and as I pulled away it felt like my brakes were still on so I was looking down at the wheel instead of ahead of me as I gathered speed again and didn't see a tree branch that was drooping down into my path and smacked it with a hefty impact ... all I can say is thank goodness I was wearing a helmet.

It's broken the covering in a couple of places but it seems to be superficial and there doesn't appear to be any other damage .... if I push hard in the areas where the covering's been affected it seems totally solid ... would you replace the helmet as a matter of course or would you think it's OK???

I only started wearing a helmet a coupe of years ago when I became a "more serious cyclist" but the number of people I know that have had accidents that if they weren't swearing one could have been really quite serious ... a friend of my parents ... their son wasn't and he has to be permanently looked after / can't hold a job or anything .... can't believe how stupid I was for so many years!!

Interested to hear people's thoughts on the helmet although I'm erring towards it'd probably be stupid not to replace it.
Definitely replace it. It clearly was hit hard to cause the visual damage, and my understanding is that you wouldn't really be able to see the microcracking that would compromise its ability to absorb energy.

We've had our differences, but I'm glad you're ok and would like you to stay that way. Don't take the risk of wearing this helmet again.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-19, 07:43 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Helmets are single crash and then throw away items.
Old 07-01-19, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
At a minimum, I'd look it as a mandatory need to upgrade.
Old 07-01-19, 07:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
At a minimum, I'd look it as a mandatory need to upgrade.
Why an upgrade? He could just replace, seems to have done its job well.
Old 07-01-19, 08:22 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by livedarklions
We've had our differences, but I'm glad you're ok and would like you to stay that way. Don't take the risk of wearing this helmet again.
I feel like that's a bit of an olive brunch for which I have the greatest respect ... takes balls ..... happy to put anything that's gone before behind us as a stupid internet misunderstanding and thank you for the well wishes!!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Why an upgrade? He could just replace, seems to have done its job well.
I definitely agree with this ... it really was a hell of a bang, the 2 guys behind me were .... Christ are you OK as they heard how hard the impact was and apart from having my head jerked a bit I didn't feel a thing so it did a brilliant job .... won't look down at my brakes again in the future unless I've taken a long good look ahead of me 1st or am stationary so a cheap lesson learnt.
Old 07-01-19, 08:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Witterings
I feel like that's a bit of an olive brunch for which I have the greatest respect ... takes balls ..... happy to put anything that's gone before behind us as a stupid internet misunderstanding and thank you for the well wishes!!

I definitely agree with this ... it really was a hell of a bang, the 2 guys behind me were .... Christ are you OK as they heard how hard the impact was and apart from having my head jerked a bit I didn't feel a thing so it did a brilliant job .... won't look down at my brakes again in the future unless I've taken a long good look ahead of me 1st or am stationary so a cheap lesson learnt.
I think as long as we don't talk about dogs, we're cool.

I've never hit my head falling or flying off a bike, but the branch thing is almost unavoidable if you ride enough trail miles or anywhere with roadside hedges and bushes--there's often a tree branch hidden in the mix. I usually get it where the road is rough and I'm having to focus on avoiding bumps and potholes, so I really can't look up as much as I want to. I've had a number of glancing blows, but nothing so hard as you describe. Startles the hell out of me, but the helmet has always stopped it from being anything injurious. If nothing else, I'm pretty sure I would have suffered some pretty nasty gashes. Really an underestimated benefit of wearing helmets--thanks for bringing it up.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-19, 08:36 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've retired two helmets due to crashes. My old Costco Bell was dented in two places from street contact, but I was fine, never lost consciousness. The other one, a Specialized, had no obvious damage but I was out cold, with concussion. Both did their jobs, I guess. I hated to retire the Specialized. I liked the fit and color, and never found one just like it again, but there are others just as good. Not about style, and some don't cost that much, just stay safe. Specialized used to have a discount for crash replacement, but I couldn't find my receipt, proof of purchase.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-01-19 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 08:43 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Bike helmets are designed to protect the head from one hard blow. They would have to be more like mortorcycle helmets, very heavy and sight/hearing restrictive. Be glad the helmet did its job and retire it immediately!
Old 07-01-19, 08:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I've retired two helmets due to crashes. My old Costco Bell was dented in two places from street contact, but I was fine, never lost consciousness, the other one, a Specialized, had no obvious damage but I was out cold, with concussion. Both did their jobs, I guess. I hated to retire the Specialized. I liked the fit and color, and never found one just like it again, but there are others just as good. Not about style, and some don't cost that much, just stay safe.
If the helmet appeared undamaged but your head wasn't, I'd have to question whether the Specialized actually did do its job. Problem is, of course, you can never prove or disprove the "it would have been worse" scenario, but personally, I'd probably never buy the same helmet I was wearing when I got knocked out.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that safety, comfort and price are independent variables and not well correlated.

Glad you're ok.
Old 07-01-19, 08:55 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Agreed. If you hit hard enough to ask the question "Should I replace my helmet?" the answer is probably "Yes".
Old 07-01-19, 08:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Myosmith
Agreed. If you hit hard enough to ask the question "Should I replace my helmet?" the answer is probably "Yes".
This is the same reasoning my doctor used--if you can't answer when you had your last tetanus shot, out came the needle.
Old 07-01-19, 10:36 AM
alfordjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
One Hard Blow

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Bike helmets are designed to protect the head from one hard blow. They would have to be more like mortorcycle helmets, very heavy and sight/hearing restrictive. Be glad the helmet did its job and retire it immediately!
I am a little confused by this....if you are stating bike helmets would have to be more like motorcycle helmets to protect from more than one blow, this is incorrect.

Unless something with motorcycle helmets has changed in the past few years they are one bang items also.

Insurance companies agree....

I was in a motorcycle accident 3 years ago and when the insurance company began the claim on my bike, the first line item was $xxx for a new helmet. When I questioned why, they said that helmets were rated for one hard blow and would need to be replaced.

After a little research, I discovered back then that even if you dropped a helmet on the ground, you should replace the helmet.
Likes For alfordjo:
Old 07-01-19, 11:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I stand corrected, thanks.
Old 07-01-19, 11:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I'm not quite so "you gotta have a new one, now!". Yes, your helmet is compromised. So for a specific hit, it is not as good. The odds that you will need that helmts's protection in the next say 6 months - not very high. Multiply those odds and you get a very small number.

I approach issues like this like I do bends to traditional steel forks. Re-bend the fork and order/keep an eye out for a replacement. Do small damage to the helmet, keep wearing it and have your eyes out for a new one; either the same on sale if you like it or a step up that strikes you. (I wore my original Bell which took a very hard hit until I received the replacement from Bell.)

I'm still wearing the POC I crashed wearing two weeks ago. Dazed myself/slight concussion. No visible damage to the helmet. (I have suffered a major TMI and can get concussions simply from hard body slams, no head contact needed.) The helmet is 5 years old and has served me well. So my eyes are open for the next one.

Ben
Old 07-01-19, 12:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Don't post here and expect the group to say to put duct tape on it and keep riding.

We can see that the cover has been compromised. But, I've seen that with age and banging around the house (which may also be bad).

But, it is impossible to see the condition of the foam from your photo, and whether there are cracks in the foam. That would be a judgement call you'll have to make.

Nonetheless, that appears to be a relatively cheap helmet, and replacing it may well be worth peace of mind... or preventing the mind to be in pieces the next time.
Old 07-01-19, 12:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Don't post here and expect the group to say to put duct tape on it and keep riding.

We can see that the cover has been compromised. But, I've seen that with age and banging around the house (which may also be bad).

But, it is impossible to see the condition of the foam from your photo, and whether there are cracks in the foam. That would be a judgement call you'll have to make.

Nonetheless, that appears to be a relatively cheap helmet, and replacing it may well be worth peace of mind... or preventing the mind to be in pieces the next time.
I've said this before, but one of the reasons I won't pay a lot of money for a helmet is because I'm afraid it would tempt me to keep it even when I shouldn't. I really want them to feel disposable, especially since many of the cheap ones are rated as safe or better than expensive ones.
Old 07-01-19, 12:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
I don't "believe" helmets do much good, and the data behind helmet use is mixed, but it's time to replace this one. Why?

I look at helmets as lawyer repellants. The insurance company's lawyers, or lawyer for the jerk who runs into you, the first question coming out of their mouth will be, "Were you wearing a helmet?"

Wearing this helmet with cracks will let them argue, "The helmet wasn't being used according to manufacturer's instructions, which say replace after every accident, so it's the victim's fault his leg ended up broken. (A subsequent review of the original TRT data showed no significant reduction in head injuries with helmet use, but did show that helmet use was associated with a reduction in leg injuries.) Especially since OP posted a picture.

No, it's time to replace the damaged helmet so your magic defense against attorneys remains intact.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-01-19, 12:54 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Had this same choice in April. I replaced it without hesitation. Helmets are expensive, but still cheaper than heads.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 07-01-19, 01:38 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I crashed two days after buying a Lazer Cyclone MIPS, top of the VTech safety ratings. No concussion, but a small dent and scratch on the Lazer. It's no longer readily available to buy, which is a bummer, but I haven't worn it since. In the meantime I still have the once-king of those VTech ratings, the Bontrager Ballista, but I ordered a new road helmet to replace the Lazer since I feel silly wearing an aero road helmet on slower rides.
Old 07-01-19, 02:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by surak
I crashed two days after buying a Lazer Cyclone MIPS, top of the VTech safety ratings. No concussion, but a small dent and scratch on the Lazer. It's no longer readily available to buy, which is a bummer, but I haven't worn it since. In the meantime I still have the once-king of those VTech ratings, the Bontrager Ballista, but I ordered a new road helmet to replace the Lazer since I feel silly wearing an aero road helmet on slower rides.
I'm pretty sure I bought the last Cyclone. I think I paid $30. It's the one I'm wearing on every ride right now.
Old 07-01-19, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I don't "believe" helmets do much good, and the data behind helmet use is mixed, but it's time to replace this one. Why?

I look at helmets as lawyer repellants. The insurance company's lawyers, or lawyer for the jerk who runs into you, the first question coming out of their mouth will be, "Were you wearing a helmet?"

Wearing this helmet with cracks will let them argue, "The helmet wasn't being used according to manufacturer's instructions, which say replace after every accident, so it's the victim's fault his leg ended up broken. (A subsequent review of the original TRT data showed no significant reduction in head injuries with helmet use, but did show that helmet use was associated with a reduction in leg injuries.) Especially since OP posted a picture.

No, it's time to replace the damaged helmet so your magic defense against attorneys remains intact.
Believe what you want, but like I said above, I've had this tree branch thing happen to me a few times in the last couple years, and not gotten injured due to the helmet. Nothing magic and no lawyers involved, it's just good to have some head protection, your cynical leg scenario notwithstanding.
Old 07-01-19, 02:50 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
There's no legal case against anyone at any time, in any situation or case, where a rider wasn't wearing a helmet - in areas where the wearing of one is not mandatory by law. Here, it couldn't be used against me.

Should you wear a helmet? Or replace a damaged one? Yeah, if you're likely to hit your head on something because you don't look where you're going. In fact the really clumsy should just wear one 24/7 regardless of what they're doing.
Old 07-01-19, 02:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
There's no legal case against anyone at any time, in any situation or case, where a rider wasn't wearing a helmet - in areas where the wearing of one is not mandatory by law. Here, it couldn't be used against me.

Should you wear a helmet? Or replace a damaged one? Yeah, if you're likely to hit your head on something because you don't look where you're going. In fact the really clumsy should just wear one 24/7 regardless of what they're doing.
If you're riding your little scoot-scoot faster than 45 mph without a helmet, good luck to you!

It's really easy to miss a branch hanging right above eye level when you're looking forward--it's just not somewhere you're paying attention to because there's almost never anything there.
Old 07-01-19, 03:47 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Had this same choice in April. I replaced it without hesitation. Helmets are expensive, but still cheaper than heads.
I didn't pay much for this helmet .... weird thing I had a decent one quite a few years ago and in the days I was earning a good income that "disappeared" ... this was just a cheap one from the local Tesco's I think.

I may go up one level from this and would like one with removable padding as I'm sure on the really hot days salt accumulates in the padding from when you sweat and can contribute to making your eyes more sore than they'd otherwise be on those scorching days if you can't remove and wash the padding from time to time.

I'm also in the camp of not spending a fortune on it as livedarklions mentioned you're then in the bracket being reluctant to replace it after a bang .... especially if it happened within a week or two of buying it and even the cheapest ones have to conform to a level of safety testing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.