Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Quick and easy Paramount build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 11:33 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts

Always enjoyed riding my series 5 Panasonic Paramount, fastest bike in my humble fleet. However, always thought the bike was a bit small for me, but got a great deal so, bought it anyway. Figured I could make it fit. At 62cm it was the largest they made, so for the past couple of years, have been looking for a similar Waterford OS Paramount in a larger size. One popped up on eBay a month or so ago, looked a bit rough, but price and size were right, so went for it. Seller did a great job of packaging, frame arrived as listed. Was planning on having the frame redone, paint rough, lots of chips and scraps, and initially not a fan of the red. Thought I would build it up and ride it a bit though before sticking that kind of money into it

Frame cleaned up quite well, and was able to source a pretty close color match from my local Autozone. Comparing the two frames, pretty identical as to tubing and lugs, as far as outer dimensions, and style, however, the quality of the paint job on the Panasonic frame seemed far superior to that of the Waterford. Blasphemy I Know, but the Panasonic paint seems more like the Imron on my Treks, whilst the red paint on the Waterford is very thin, and seems to chip, and flake off, if you look at it funny.

On to the build, I simply took all the components off of the Panasonic, and transferred them to the Waterford, only change was cables and tape, for obvious reasons. Did not even touch the adjustment of the derailleurs, and the initial test ride, which is usually short, cause something is amiss, just turned into a 30 mile ride, guess I’ll bring some water next time. Most of the components, ( cont. below)

Before: 1992 Series 5 PDG OS Paramount 62cm

After: 1991 PDG OS Paramount 68cm

were Shimano 1055, that I sourced new for the original Series 5 build, they work great, but I think I’ll start gathering all the Dura-Ace 7400 bits, after all it is a Waterford, and I may still have to get the frame redone, paint chips easily and is still flaking off. Think I’ll stick with red though, it’s starting to grow on me. Purple splatter on the Panasonic never did.

Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 07-16-19, 12:12 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I'm curious to see which one you wind up like better. I've said time and time again that my PDG Paramount is superior to my Waterford one. Blasphemy to many but that's how I see it.

I'm totally digging that purple splatter by the way.
Old 07-16-19, 12:24 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Quality wise, I think the Panasonic frame is better, 62cm frame not big enough though. Will enjoy riding the Waterford more, cause the frame fits, thus liking the Waterford better already. I’m curious to see if I’ll like the Dura-Ace components better, or if I’ll even notice the difference.
Tim