Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I would LOVE to see photos of your MTB conversion

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I would LOVE to see photos of your MTB conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 11:42 AM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Here is my MTB trekking bike at Parc National de Plaisance Quebec.

Bontrager Privateer S frame
Salsa Cromoto fork
Nashbar Trekking bars
XTR/Mavic 618 wheels
XT BB, Shifters, Brake levers
Deore V-Brakes
Suguino Mighty 700 cranks
Time ATAC peddles
OMM racks
Brooks Imperial saddle

Gordon p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0005.JPG (33.3 KB, 823 views)

Old 06-19-09, 02:57 AM
RedRaleigh

Bikes: Kona Smoke, Emperor Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona Smoke

https://www.flickr.com/photos/redraleigh/3375460891/ Here is my modified 2006 Kona Smoke

Frame, Fork, Headset, Stem & Bars, Seatpost are all standard. The wheels are Dt Swiss XR 4.1 rims, laced with DT Swiss DB spokes to Shimano XT hubs. Front tyre is a Specialized Nimbus Armadillo 1.5, and the rear is a Schwalbe Marathon 1.5. Brakes & Levers are Shimano Deore. It has a Shimano Alivio 42/32/22 chainset, XT 11-30 8spd cassette, LX rear mech and Deore front. The rear shifter is an Alivio rapidfire, but the front changer is an Ultegra bar-end shifter on an SJS Cycles thumbie mount. I've added Cane Creek Ergo bar-ends - these are excellent - SKS mudguards and a Selle San Marco saddle. In the picture it has a Tortec Ultralight rear rack and Vaude bag, but for touring I have a Blackburn EX-2 rear rack and Blackburn front low-rider. Many of the extra parts and accessories were bought cheaply from a local shop having a closing down sale, and the rest I either dug out of my spares box or in some cases scrounged from a friend who has far too many bike bits lying around his house.

Last edited by RedRaleigh; 06-19-09 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Original image link failed
Old 06-22-09, 07:19 PM
hanktrefethen

Bikes: custom builds: 2007 Kona Coiler, 1997 (?)Liahona Mission

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently picked up a '98 Trek 800 of craigslist, stripped and painted, swapped in a fizik seat, bar end shifters, tektroRL520 long pull levers, jag cables and some drops from the local bike co-op.

It's more of a commuter but I got it with my fantasy of touring in mind. So far so good, been riding it 4mi each way for a few days now. It's much easier and faster to peddle than my 6" travel Kona Coiler

I want to swap in an 8spd cassette I have laying around and cranks with something that has a 50 tooth big ring. I think I'm going to need some new hubs or something soon—getting a light knocking sound from them. Last time I experienced that it was a broken rear axle.

I also think that friction shifting is where it's at. I'm really enjoying it. It's got some older parts still but overall I think it's a solid ride and it's really fun too!

Old 06-22-09, 10:39 PM
locky63red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gidday.
Here is my GT Aggressor which I purchsed as a clunker to commute on.However I liked riding it and liked how strong it was with its overlapped triangles so it is now my touring bike.It still performs as my day to day commuter as well. I am gradually replacing components with better quality ones as the originals wear out.
Attached Images
truck photo.jpg (102.2 KB, 474 views)
Old 06-23-09, 06:26 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Aloyzius
But I'd like to see your stuff...
I realize this is an old thread, but since it was resurrected, here's my conversion:

Same bike before the dropped bars and paint job:

It's (was) a 1990 Marin Pine Mountain. I made my own "Long Haul Trucker" before Surly had one to offer. I retired the Marin last summer and put together a Trucker. Finally.
Old 06-23-09, 09:08 AM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hi could I see a close up of your paint job?
Gordon p

Old 06-23-09, 10:43 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Can't recall if I posted these... this is my 1988 Kuwahara Shasta.

Old 07-25-09, 10:49 AM
wasabi

Bikes: Cannondale F-1000 (26" Hardtail for every day ride), Thömus Longrider (26" custom built travel bike), Basso Laguna (road race bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After having used road bikes for touring for several years, I thought that MTB's would cause less trouble on bad roads. To try the idea I just put a rack and a low rider on my first MTB I owned. It was built on an italian custom made CroMo frameset and had a Marzocchi suspension fork with about 35-40 mm travel back in the mid 90's. But this bike was originally built for sport, and its geometry forced me in a position with my back nearly horizontal, causing back and neck aches. So after one trip I had to decide for something else. The next touring MTB was a Specialized Rockhopper with steel frame. Unfortunately the frame was too weak for travelling with panniers, resulting in nervous shaking of the whole rig from about 25 km/h - dangerous and very scary

The third approach was a Cannondale F-800 in 1998, which finally worked. I did a lot of trips with that one and also used it to go to work every day. The Headshock suspension fork is as stiff as a rigid fork and was one of the first to provide a lock-out. IMO the best suspension fork for touring (with coil springs, not air) . However, last spring I decided to let my hard working mule enjoy its well-earned retirement. The bike is still in use regularly, but not for loaded touring any more.
Cannondale TB web.jpg

Last edited by wasabi; 07-25-09 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-25-09, 07:12 PM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was once a diamondback sorrento...getting cascadia fenders this week
Attached Images
wheel 042.jpg (100.3 KB, 582 views)
Old 08-14-09, 10:45 AM
pexio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My '89 Trek 950 Singletrack
XT M770 drivetrain, hubs - Ritchey headset - 36h Velocity Aeroheat rims, DT Swiss Comp spokes
Panaracer T-Serv PT 26x1.75 tires - Avid SD7 V-brakes, Cane Creek Drop-V levers - Titec post
Nitto Dirt Drop stem, Noodle bar - Brooks B17N Imperial - Old Man Mountain racks - Planet Bike Cascadia fenders
Attached Images
IMG_1135 (Medium).jpg (100.0 KB, 2549 views)
Old 08-14-09, 11:43 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
A little more tweaking to the UAV... swapped to a little lower gear, new fuller fenders, added aero levers, and reinstalled the rear brake since I might use that ss cog on the flip side.

Old 08-14-09, 01:32 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
A little more tweaking to the UAV... swapped to a little lower gear, new fuller fenders, added aero levers, and reinstalled the rear brake since I might use that ss cog on the flip side.

May I ask what purpose the padding serves wrapped around the top tube ??
Old 09-01-09, 08:52 AM
emperorcezar
Large and in charge

Bikes: At one point it was a Trek 700 something. Now it have Velocity Psycho wheels, a tape job. Thumb shifters (Shimano Deore). Corncob grouping, and drop bar ends all wrapped up in tape.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my very recently built expedition tourer from a Trek 800 frame. Only thing missing in this pic is the bright yellow Freddy fenders I put on.
It's drivetrain is mostly an assortment of second hand parts from the local co-op. Interestingly, I got the crank from Nashbar for $10 because it's length is 145, which I find great.

Old 09-01-09, 09:05 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
n/m - answered my own question

Last edited by truman; 09-01-09 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 09:15 AM
clarinetcola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emperorcezar
This is my very recently built expedition tourer from a Trek 800 frame. Only thing missing in this pic is the bright yellow Freddy fenders I put on.
I thought of the exact same thing when I saw the bike.... it's missing yellow fenders!

Yellow fenders ftw!
Old 09-01-09, 03:15 PM
semperfi1970

Bikes: trek 4800, trek 4300, trek 1.5, nashbar touring frame build, 1985 takara medalion, 1982 motobicane mirage sport and a few pieced together rigs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2008 trek 4300

On the Erie canal this summer.
Attached Images
0730090638.jpg (99.7 KB, 504 views)
0731090858.jpg (99.7 KB, 444 views)
Old 09-04-09, 05:12 AM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pexio
My '89 Trek 950 Singletrack
XT M770 drivetrain, hubs - Ritchey headset - 36h Velocity Aeroheat rims, DT Swiss Comp spokes
Panaracer T-Serv PT 26x1.75 tires - Avid SD7 V-brakes, Cane Creek Drop-V levers - Titec post
Nitto Dirt Drop stem, Noodle bar - Brooks B17N Imperial - Old Man Mountain racks - Planet Bike Cascadia fenders
pexio,
Where did you get the seatpost, i looked on-line but couldn't find that Titec model....
Old 09-04-09, 05:48 AM
pexio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KLW2
pexio,
Where did you get the seatpost, i looked on-line but couldn't find that Titec model....
It's called an El Norte Bent. I got it off fleabay. Not sure if they make it anymore. It was the only way I could get the Brooksie back far enough for my long femurs
Old 09-06-09, 09:59 AM
tiger474

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B + M
heres my specialized hardrock.
great job. have a 90s hardrock i am inspired to do this conversion.
Old 09-06-09, 02:26 PM
rainking63
Deluded...

Bikes: Jamis Trail XR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just added the "drop ends" today and did 15 miles. Call it strange, unorthodox, whatever... I found that I really liked it! An interesting alternative until I can get my hands on some trekking bars. Got a few weird looks from a few other cyclists down by the beach, so it was well worth the effort.
Attached Images
downsized_0906091604.jpg (64.2 KB, 442 views)
downsized_0906091605.jpg (66.3 KB, 500 views)
downsized_0906091620.jpg (37.3 KB, 511 views)
Old 09-06-09, 08:17 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
This is my extreme touring/hauling-lots-of-stuff bike:

Stats:

-1985 Schwinn Sierra (4130 straight-guage tubing, lug-less)
-stock Shimano drivetrain, hubs, Araya 7X rims, Sakae cranks/BB
-changed the 'flat' bullmoose bars to some rather rare ones with alot of rize. Lots of dashboard space and super comfy.
-steel 28-38-48 chainrings swapped at over 10,000 miles for alloy 24-44-48 (half-step). Minimal wear on the old ones, just wanted different gearing. I wonder how the alloy will stand up.
-5-speed 14-32 freewheel was upgraded to 6-speed. I am on my 3rd one (14-32, 6S)
-Brooks saddle (odviously)
-the plastic SR pedals were swapped for Suntour beartraps long ago
-I had SKS fenders on it for years, but then these showed up at the bike co-op on an '80 *** JC Pennys bike. I switched to these becasue the color is an almost exact match. The SKS were lighter and had better coverage. I figured I could always switch back.
-currently running Michelin Country Rock tires (about 1200 miles on them ) and I like them alot. Only one flat (big piece of aluminum), so they seem to be holding up OK.
- I had just re-sprayed the Jandd racks when the picture was taken
- I have left the stainless steel pie-plate as Schwinn actually toted this as a big feature.

I might say that though this rig is a touch on the heavy side (35 lbs with the steel fenders and racks), I simply love it. I have commuted on it, toured on it, camped with it, run the kids aound the block on it, taken it to the hardware store a countless number of times. I took it on a fast-paced club ride and did just fine.

The no-name Shimano Light Action derailuers and shifters have over 10,000 miles on them, and the rear one is just starting to get chain droop (take-up spring is worn out). Further, the rear one sucks up 40-teeth, more than just about anything else out there. I re-packed the hubs and BB at about 8,000 miles, and polished the races. It rolls as well as anything else I own. If I had only one bike, this would be it.
Old 09-07-09, 08:22 AM
emperorcezar
Large and in charge

Bikes: At one point it was a Trek 700 something. Now it have Velocity Psycho wheels, a tape job. Thumb shifters (Shimano Deore). Corncob grouping, and drop bar ends all wrapped up in tape.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clarinetcola
I thought of the exact same thing when I saw the bike.... it's missing yellow fenders!

Yellow fenders ftw!
An updated picture. This time with fenders.

Old 09-08-09, 08:49 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Baldinamood, that`s a VERY interresting bike. The first thing that stopped me in my tracks was that I saw it said "Sierra" and immediately thought "Schwinn", but then I looked closer and it doesn`t look anything like the Schwinn Sierras I`ve seen before- lugged fork, factory fenders (?), and the style of the "Schwinn" decals is like none I`ve ever seen before. I didn`t think they had Sierras as early as 85, either. While I`m certainly not a Schwinn expert, I do kind of have a thing for them, so I always give them a look over whn I see one in person or posted on a website and I thought I was at least fairly familiar- looks like I don`t know jack after all. Do you know if those fenders were actually factory equipment on that bike?
Old 09-08-09, 10:57 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
It is an '85 Schwinn Sierra. I think they started with them in '84. I do belive this is one of the earliest models that Giant built for Schwinn. It does have a cast fork crown...perhaps one of the biggest wads of metal I have ever seen on a bike...certainly nothing special other than it appears to be bomb proof.

The fenders are an odd story. I had a pair of SKS Edge fender on since the late '80s/early '90s. Late last year, an old mid-80's quasi-MTB-object from JC Pennys showed up at the local bike co-op. The paint on the steel fenders is nearly an exact match. The Pennys bike was going to be turned into a bike polo bike, so I nabbed the fenders. The old SKS's, though still functional, were a bit tattered, cracked, etc...but no duct tape yet. Since weight is not much of a concern (it IS a Schwinn after all), I put them on. The coverage is not as good as the SKS's, but I like the way they look. They are about as battered as the rest of the bike, so they look original, but they are not.
Old 09-08-09, 03:28 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good deal finding the fenders, then- they look like they were born there. I`ve got my one and only Schwinn on post 74 of this thread. I put it together for touring, but since then I moved my dyno wheel and lights over to it and now it`s also doing commuter duty as well as anything I need cargo capacity or any riding that might have me out after dark. Just like you, if I had to reduce my posessions to one bike, this would be the one that I kept. It turned out to be the most comfortable fit and ride I`ve ever had.
Attached Images
CIMG5855.jpg (81.1 KB, 566 views)

Last edited by rodar y rodar; 09-08-09 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Refferenced wrong post number

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.