Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

HELP -5F Camping Advice Needed

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 04:00 PM
tzuohann
1 tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks

I got to Istanbul and am headıng for Xınjıang ın Chına now. Its gettıng colder and days are shorter but Im havıng a good tıme.

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/longwayhome

ıme terrıbly concerned about beıng able to camp ın wınter... accordıng to wunderground.com ı'll be dealıng wıth -5F weather ın worse cases.

would you please look at my complete equıpment lıst and look and the concerns ı have on the equıpment ın the recent portıons of the journal and let me know ıf ı wıll lıve? ıd lıke to lıve.

thanks
tzuo
Old 09-13-07, 11:49 PM
m5nardi
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Bianch Lupo, Wyatt Street King, Schwinn Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold is miserable, wet is miserable, cold and wet become dangerous fast. So, you'll want to keep your extremities as dry as you can while you are in the cold. You can get sealskin socks, so if you can't waterproof your shoes you can still keep your feet dry. Wool socks under that should help for cold riding conditions, and a thick pair of wool socks for wearing to bed kept somewhere in your panniers that they won't get wet will help for sleeping. I camp in Wisconsin down to around 0°F and use a pair of thick wool hunting socks for bed. (I also bring a big pair of fuzzy slippers for cold snaps, but I can't imagine you'd want those.)

Your best bet for keeping warm is layers, you don't say what your long underwear is made of but I'd recommend wool or a wool/synthetic blend there, too. For sleeping your silk liner should add a bit of warmth to your sleeping bag. I worry about your hammock, though, it's harder to stay warm in.

Fleece isn't strictly necessary, but I'm more comfortable cycling in a layer of fleece under my windproof pants in the winter. Try your layers out, too, it might be that your current sets of pants won't work well together to ride in. Cover all the exposed skin you can, a full face balaclava is a must. The wind can be brutal on your face, even on a "warmer" winter day. Definitely find wool gloves, the sealskins will keep you dry but not warm.

Sorry, this got a lot longer than I thought it would.
Old 09-14-07, 01:33 AM
Creamcrackered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We were worried about cycling through European winter (not as bad as where you are going), but it turned out OK. The things that made the difference for us were:
a) A really good warm hat.
b) Good warm waterproof gloves - we used ones designed for ice climbing.
d) Goretex waterproof trousers - not just for rain and snow, but to keep out the wind.
e) Two sets of thermals - on for the day and one to keep dry for the nights.
f) Ortlieb stuff sacks - these kept our sleeping bags dry in all weathers.
Old 09-14-07, 04:29 AM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Bikes: I had a Trek 1200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI Zephyre Bag Rated +15F
Your sleeping bag is well used, so I guess that it will not hold to +15F.
It is synthetic, so if you fill good with it, go again and buy a synthetic bag but for -5F.
It will hold when its wet.
If you don't want to buy new sleeping bag, you can buy a warm liner. But do ask here if a certain product will get you to -5F.
Look here in another thread what "vik" have to say: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...80#post5121280

Last edited by kipibenkipod; 09-14-07 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-14-07, 08:17 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Many years ago, I have done some Winter camping without a proper Winter sleeping bag. I found that using two 3-seasons sleeping bags inside eachother worked fairly well. Dry socks were also essential. The only real problem I had was keeping my face warm. I can't sleep with something in my face and found it too cold without anything in my face.
Old 09-15-07, 12:15 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've done some winter bike touring and a LOT of winter camping...

five below zero is some serious temp, hopefully it will be mostly cold desert dry for you and not too much snow.

yes, another sleeping bag - a synthetic overbag.

more layers, maybe some ski gloves, Outdoor Research Mukluks or a local substitute for wearing off the bike. another warm hat.

use your puffy coat as layering for your sleeping system. maybe get a dedicated double wall winter tent, warmer because of the insulating air trapped between the fly and inner tent than a single wall or hammock. Candle lantern, used carefully in a winter tent, provides a suprising amount of heat. you can dry wet socks and gloves out overnight with a candle lantern.

You'll need more fats in your food to stay warm working and living in five below. active expeditioneering in winter conditions, 5000 calories a day. you can literally eat sticks of butter for calories.

And a tip, use your sleeping bag to keep things warm in overnight, including at least one water bottle. shoes in the sleeping bag inside a waterproof stuffsack.

hope this helps out, I imagine it will be difficult to procure things in the middle of a blitzkreig tour like you are doing, but these are the things I find would help.

Cheers, all the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mukluk.jpg (16.3 KB, 25 views)
snowbike.jpg (33.1 KB, 23 views)
tentheat.jpg (16.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Bekologist; 09-15-07 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-15-07, 12:42 AM
Mchaz
Dances a jig.

Bikes: 2007 Surly Long Haul Trucker 54cm (Commuting/Wanna' go tour so bad), 1985 Trek 670 21" (Road), 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara 17" (MTB), Cannondale DeltaV 600 (commuterized MTB), some junker bikes in my garage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like it would be a good idea to insulate your Hennessey Hammock if you plan to continue using it in the really cold weather. I have heard that they don't fare so well in the cold in unmodified trim. I don't have one though, so I can't speak from direct personal experience.

Hennessey has the under cover/pad and overcover system that will be a direct fit. I have seen DIY methods that could use materials from local sources and would be cheaper. Check out https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/?.
Old 09-15-07, 12:32 PM
tzuohann
1 tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=m5nardi;5267886]Cold is miserable, wet is miserable, cold and wet become dangerous fast. So, you'll want to keep your extremities as dry as you can while you are in the cold. You can get sealskin socks, so if you can't waterproof your shoes you can still keep your feet dry. Wool socks under that should help for cold riding conditions, and a thick pair of wool socks for wearing to bed kept somewhere in your panniers that they won't get wet will help for sleeping. I camp in Wisconsin down to around 0°F and use a pair of thick wool hunting socks for bed. (I also bring a big pair of fuzzy slippers for cold snaps, but I can't imagine you'd want those.)
QUOTE]

ı have 3 paırs of coolmax socks. my ıdea for keepıng dry ıs saran wrappıng over socks ın layers and then saran wrappıng the shoe. that way ı can stıll clıp ın and have a few layers of stagnant aır whıle only the fırst sock gets wet from perpıratıon etc. ı can't afford the sealskıns. budget ıs very (stupıdly) tıght

Originally Posted by m5nardi

Your best bet for keeping warm is layers, you don't say what your long underwear is made of but I'd recommend wool or a wool/synthetic blend there, too. For sleeping your silk liner should add a bit of warmth to your sleeping bag. I worry about your hammock, though, it's harder to stay warm in.
underwear ıs some synthetıc or cotton def not wool. my guess ıs cotten. ım goıng to use the hammock as a tent ıf ı can fınd a tree or post but as a bıvy ıf ı only have the bıke for support. ıs a tent a MUST? ıf so, whıch? BUDGET BUDGET

Originally Posted by m5nardi
Fleece isn't strictly necessary, but I'm more comfortable cycling in a layer of fleece under my windproof pants in the winter. Try your layers out, too, it might be that your current sets of pants won't work well together to ride in. Cover all the exposed skin you can, a full face balaclava is a must. The wind can be brutal on your face, even on a "warmer" winter day. Definitely find wool gloves, the sealskins will keep you dry but not warm.
thanks for tıp. wıll experıment wıth rıdıng ın layers ıts gettıng colder gradually esp at nıght and early mornıng. wıll get wool gloves and skı mask as ıt gets cold. ımagıne those are everywhere
Old 09-15-07, 12:41 PM
tzuohann
1 tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamcrackered
We were worried about cycling through European winter (not as bad as where you are going), but it turned out OK. The things that made the difference for us were:
a) A really good warm hat.
b) Good warm waterproof gloves - we used ones designed for ice climbing.
d) Goretex waterproof trousers - not just for rain and snow, but to keep out the wind.
e) Two sets of thermals - on for the day and one to keep dry for the nights.
f) Ortlieb stuff sacks - these kept our sleeping bags dry in all weathers.
what are thermals? sorry ı grew up ın malaysıa where ıts 30+ year long.
Old 09-15-07, 12:50 PM
tzuohann
1 tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kipibenkipod
REI Zephyre Bag Rated +15F
Your sleeping bag is well used, so I guess that it will not hold to +15F.
It is synthetic, so if you fill good with it, go again and buy a synthetic bag but for -5F.
It will hold when its wet.
If you don't want to buy new sleeping bag, you can buy a warm liner. But do ask here if a certain product will get you to -5F.
Look here in another thread what "vik" have to say: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...80#post5121280
I don't really have the cash for another bag. I dot a very thıck sılk lıner from Istanbul... can post a pıcture ıf you thınk that helps. It wont cover my shoulders coz ı messed up on measurıng sılk that was gıven to me free but ı can sleep ın all 11 layers that ı have whıch are

cottom, short sleeve synthetıc (2), long sleeve synthetıc (2), 3 long sleeve wınd breakers, down jacket, outer shell, unbreathable raın coat.

for the legs ıt wıll be cottom, synthetıc (2), raın pants unbreathable

what do you thınk?
Old 09-15-07, 12:53 PM
tzuohann
1 tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon
I can't sleep with something in my face and found it too cold without anything in my face.

ı have a sılımar problem... no matter now hot ıt ıs, ı need to have somethıng over me whıch happens to be my 15F bag whıle ıt was ın the desert ın june...
Old 09-15-07, 12:57 PM
tzuohann
1 tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I've done some winter bike touring and a LOT of winter camping...

five below zero is some serious temp, hopefully it will be mostly cold desert dry for you and not too much snow.

yes, another sleeping bag - a synthetic overbag.

more layers, maybe some ski gloves, Outdoor Research Mukluks or a local substitute for wearing off the bike. another warm hat.

use your puffy coat as layering for your sleeping system. maybe get a dedicated double wall winter tent, warmer because of the insulating air trapped between the fly and inner tent than a single wall or hammock. Candle lantern, used carefully in a winter tent, provides a suprising amount of heat. you can dry wet socks and gloves out overnight with a candle lantern.

You'll need more fats in your food to stay warm working and living in five below. active expeditioneering in winter conditions, 5000 calories a day. you can literally eat sticks of butter for calories.

And a tip, use your sleeping bag to keep things warm in overnight, including at least one water bottle. shoes in the sleeping bag inside a waterproof stuffsack.

hope this helps out, I imagine it will be difficult to procure things in the middle of a blitzkreig tour like you are doing, but these are the things I find would help.

Cheers, all the best.
hey thanks for all the ınfo.... ı guess ı should have mentıoned that budget ıs a huge ıssue rıght now...
also, -5 ıs the hıstorıc low for the places ı'll be vısıtıng and stayıng alıve ıs all ı care about, not beıng comfortable for months on end. the regıon ıs turkmen uzbek kyrgyr and xınjıang so ıts probably dry desert tho ı really don't know that well. ı guess ıt varıes... really ıf ıts too bad ım goıng to a town and be ındoors... ı just dont want to dıe ıf ı camp outdoors when ıts good and then the weather freaks out... yeah thats all ı don't mınd a sleepless nıght or even two... ı just don't feel lıke dyıng so soon.
Old 09-15-07, 01:09 PM
Gustaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, this is Scott, I posted to messages to your guest book in the past few days.
I hope you get everything in order before you take off, I love reading your journal, it is by far the best and most entertaining on crazyguyonabike.com.
Stay Safe
Old 09-15-07, 01:40 PM
m5nardi
Senior Mumbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tzuohann
ı have 3 paırs of coolmax socks. my ıdea for keepıng dry ıs saran wrappıng over socks ın layers and then saran wrappıng the shoe. that way ı can stıll clıp ın and have a few layers of stagnant aır whıle only the fırst sock gets wet from perpıratıon etc. ı can't afford the sealskıns. budget ıs very (stupıdly) tıght

underwear ıs some synthetıc or cotton def not wool. my guess ıs cotten. ım goıng to use the hammock as a tent ıf ı can fınd a tree or post but as a bıvy ıf ı only have the bıke for support. ıs a tent a MUST? ıf so, whıch? BUDGET BUDGET

thanks for tıp. wıll experıment wıth rıdıng ın layers ıts gettıng colder gradually esp at nıght and early mornıng. wıll get wool gloves and skı mask as ıt gets cold. ımagıne those are everywhere
If you can private message me an address I can mail you a few things, we have extra wool socks and outgrown fleece pants you are welcome to. You'd asked someone else what thermals were, they are long underwear. I think I have an extra pair of those, too.

I would say a tent of some sort is a must. Any cheap tent, or even a tarp, will be better than just the hammock bivy. What you want is a second layer to trap heat and keep out cold.

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=12184

You can pitch a regular poly tarp like that, too, and set up your bivy inside of it. A small tarp as a ground cloth plus your Hennessey tarp, really doesn't have to be expensive shelter.
Old 09-15-07, 04:24 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thermals eqal thermal underwear. Like wearing two layers of clothes but better.

The single easiest way to add warm is with a vapour barrier. This is is a layer of plastic just before your insulating layer. Good example is in a sleeping bag where you get a vapour barrier bag which is a liner like your tarp, or could be a body sized garbage bag (tape several together).

What happens is that your body is constantly producing moisture to keep your skin in the correct environment. This form of perspiration is very modest, and not felt like sweating, but uses a lot of heat. If you sleep inside the vapour barrier you will be almost 10 degrees C warmer. You won't generally feel sweaty, because this form of perspiration is not for cooling it just kicks in to keep the moisture level decent. It also protects your bag from picking up moisture which will condence somewhere between your warm body, and the cold outside. In a down bag your insulation is seriously compromized with moisture, Synthetic bags will get heavier.

Vapour barriers work for clothing also, but the bad part is thay only work if you aren't spiking a lot of heat. So they may work hiking slowly up Mount Mckinley, but they would be tough to regulate heat with going downhill one moment and up the next. Wearing them in shoes is often very effective.

You don't need a tent in winter campin, in fact it is one of the better times to be without - no rain or bugs. However, a tent does hold heat, and can be as much as 5 degrees warmer. So there are practical advantages.
Old 09-15-07, 04:48 PM
Hoz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mchaz
It sounds like it would be a good idea to insulate your Hennessey Hammock if you plan to continue using it in the really cold weather. I have heard that they don't fare so well in the cold in unmodified trim. I don't have one though, so I can't speak from direct personal experience.

Hennessey has the under cover/pad and overcover system that will be a direct fit. I have seen DIY methods that could use materials from local sources and would be cheaper. Check out https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/?.
It is amazing the lengths a hammock fanatic will go to in order to justify using one year around. Cocoons, over and under quilts, stuffing with dry leaves...

I maintain there is a reason why native people used the hammock IN TROPICAL CLIMATES only. They are not suited to a cold environment.

If it's going to be cold I'd recommend pitching your Hennessy on the ground and using a pad. You will be warmer.
Old 09-15-07, 10:57 PM
Gustaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a thought that maybe you could try contacting some companies that make sleeping bags an and see if they are willing to just send you a proper sleeping bag. Companies sponsor tours not unlike yours, email them explaining who you are, where you have been and where you are going,
Just a thought and at most they can just say no,

-Scott
Old 09-18-07, 07:51 AM
tzuohann
1 tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks hoz peterpan m5nardi and scott and everyone else

it looks like i can have my vapour layer with my rain gear since those are non breathable.
i can form 2-4 layers for the tent with poncho, fly and 3 space blankets.
i have 2 sleeping pads (5 buck walmart and prolite 4)

i'll do this... will set up the hammock like how i would do it if i only had my bike and a field and take some pictures.

post that tomorrow and you guys can comment away. will get more thermals and wool gloves and socks on the way... i bet they sell them where it gets cold. i mean... those ppl in uzbek and turkment are after all human too.

tzuo
Old 09-20-07, 04:14 AM
tzuohann
1 tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hokay

ıve uploaded the 3 campıng pıctures here...

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=62489&v=88

of course, thıs wıll be less than optımal ıf there ıs heavy snow but notıce that ı am usıng only 1 tree. ıf ı used 2 trees, ı can make ıt much steeper and avoıd snow buıldup on the hammock...

ı am sleepıng on 2 sleepıng pads (1 cheap half ınch thıck foam pad from walmart) and a prolıte4 on top of that.

ı also have one more space blanket to go around the sleepıng bag besıde 12 top layers of clothes (1 down, 1 thıck outer, 1 mıcrofleece, 3 are long sleeved wındbreakers, 1 long sleeved raıncoat, 2 long sleeved synthetıcs and 2 short sleeve synthetıc.

for the legs, 1 cotton fırst layer, 2 zıpoff safarı pants, raınpants, 2 synthetıcs that go down to the knee

3 synthetıc socks, sealskın gloves and wool lıners, skımask and fleece hat, towel to go around the neck.

besıdes snow ısnt that cold rıght?

also, I am not tryıng to be comfortable for long perıods. ı would prefer not to dıe ıf the weather goes bad thats all... besıdes dyıng ın cold ıs nıce... ı am an ınstant fossıl... untıl sprıng at least.

tzuo

Last edited by tzuohann; 09-20-07 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-20-07, 07:15 AM
NeezyDeezy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tzuo, buy a pair of these:
https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
Old 09-20-07, 08:58 AM
m5nardi
Senior Mumbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tzuohann
hokay

ı also have one more space blanket to go around the sleepıng bag besıde 12 top layers of clothes (1 down, 1 thıck outer, 1 mıcrofleece, 3 are long sleeved wındbreakers, 1 long sleeved raıncoat, 2 long sleeved synthetıcs and 2 short sleeve synthetıc.

for the legs, 1 cotton fırst layer, 2 zıpoff safarı pants, raınpants, 2 synthetıcs that go down to the knee

3 synthetıc socks, sealskın gloves and wool lıners, skımask and fleece hat, towel to go around the neck.

besıdes snow ısnt that cold rıght?

also, I am not tryıng to be comfortable for long perıods. ı would prefer not to dıe ıf the weather goes bad thats all... besıdes dyıng ın cold ıs nıce... ı am an ınstant fossıl... untıl sprıng at least.

tzuo
I forgot to mention, you want to avoid the cotton next to your skin while cycling! Cotton absorbs sweat and stays wet for a long time, so wear the wicking synthetics you have as your first layer.

https://www.icebike.org/Clothing/clothing.htm

They talk more in terms of comfort level and material than specific clothing brands or styles, very helpful for you. That's all for cycling, you will want more on when you stop (and yet more on when you sleep). I keep a packable over jacket and a huge, ugly pair of knit mittens in my handlebar bag on cold days to put over my cycling attire when I stop and walk around.

And like creamcrackered said, keep a set of clothes and socks dry and in your packs for bed. Dampness is now your enemy.
Old 09-20-07, 11:22 PM
tzuohann
1 tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you everyone!

i got all my visas down now and have a clear path all the way back to malaysia.

the cold gear should do fine.... thanks for all the advice etc etc etc... im glad that more than just me wants me alive

out of ankara in a bit and aiming for the chinese border before november 5th not much before, but before