Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Duct tape on tire for trainer?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 01-11-10, 01:08 PM
edster63

Bikes: 09 Specialized Cross Trail Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please don't laugh at me but I swear I read somewhere that someone was using duct tape on the rear tire whilst using the trainer to prevent undue wear?? Anyone doing this? Thanks!
Old 01-11-10, 01:57 PM
Smallguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't really see Duct tape lasting that long

I just save old worn out tires and use them or pop by my LBS and ask if they have anything I can get that is in trainer shape and is going to be tossed out
Old 03-07-11, 04:39 PM
Cedarbat

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.5, 2004 Trek Equinox 11 Tri Bike - 2012 build, 1988 Cannondale - old tri bike, Trek 930 mountain bike, Sanwa - Cross Bike, Giordanno Viaggio tandem bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was also wondering if there was another solution rather than swapping tires, especially for the indoor/outdoor riding season overlap. I came across this article that talks about using duct tape over a mountain tire on a trainer - https://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-299403.html - has anyone tried this on a road tire?

I was also wondering if it would work to cut the beads off an old tire and then deflate the good tire, slip the old tire casing without the beads over the top and re-inflate the good tire. I would think the tire pressure would stretch the old tire casing and hold it place. Has anyone tried either of these solutions? I may try this and report on what happens. It would let the old tire casing take the trainer abuse without having to do a full tire swap.
Old 03-07-11, 07:34 PM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a tri guy who just buys the cheapest tire possible. He said that some of them are so hard that they'll outlast any trainer tire.
Old 03-07-11, 07:49 PM
DGozinya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanknm
I know a tri guy who just buys the cheapest tire possible. He said that some of them are so hard that they'll outlast any trainer tire.
This. Get the equivalent of the Pep Boys 50,000 mile car tire. It will be as hard as a rock and cheap. BTW, I had a set of those tires on my Jeep and the tires lasted longer than the vehicle. They got so hard after 5 years that I could drift around corners with ease.
Old 03-07-11, 08:04 PM
alanknm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DGozinya
This. Get the equivalent of the Pep Boys 50,000 mile car tire. It will be as hard as a rock and cheap. BTW, I had a set of those tires on my Jeep and the tires lasted longer than the vehicle. They got so hard after 5 years that I could drift around corners with ease.
hmm.. Turns your car into a Tonka Toy.. This guy told me that they were some sort of el-cheapo tire he got from a hardware store. He couldn't remember the make though.
Old 03-07-11, 08:38 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallguy
I can't really see Duct tape lasting that long

I just save old worn out tires and use them or pop by my LBS and ask if they have anything I can get that is in trainer shape and is going to be tossed out
I do it too. The duct tape won't stick for long but it is a clever ideal.
Old 03-08-11, 11:12 AM
alanknm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Won't it crud up the roller on the trainer as well ? Worn out or cheap tires makes more sense.
Old 03-10-11, 07:09 PM
Cedarbat

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.5, 2004 Trek Equinox 11 Tri Bike - 2012 build, 1988 Cannondale - old tri bike, Trek 930 mountain bike, Sanwa - Cross Bike, Giordanno Viaggio tandem bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is another post I found on trifuel.com

I had the same problem with my Minora Mag trainer, I demolished a $50.00 Vittoria
racing tire in a month on my trainer. But no more. Here's what I have been doing for the
past year, and my rear tire is still like new !
Go to your local hardware store and get a couple of rolls of the DOUBLE-WIDE black
electricians tape. The regular width tape is not wide enough to cover the tire surface completely.
With the bike on the trainer I wrap a layer of this tape all the way around the tire, twice.
Electrical tape is an INSULATOR, so it guards your tire from the heat and the friction created by your trainer. Use electrical tape ONLY, as it comes off easily, with no mess or residue left on the tire. I simply tape the tire ride the trainer 2 or 3 times during the week, and then remove the tape for the weekend road ride. This way the tape peels off easily and doesn't stay on the tire long enough to start breaking down. At $1.29 a roll, one roll will do a month. If you do the math,
this is much cheaper than buying a new racing tire, or an entire rear wheel set just for use on the trainer.
Old 12-30-16, 05:44 AM
TriCycle01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikeTrainerTape instead of duct tape

Duct tape leaves a heavy residue when you remove and swapping tires is a hassle when alternating frequenly from indoor riding to outdoor riding. There's a new product on the market called Bike Trainer Tape that's specifically designed to protect your good Tires on the indoor trainer

Originally Posted by edster63
Please don't laugh at me but I swear I read somewhere that someone was using duct tape on the rear tire whilst using the trainer to prevent undue wear?? Anyone doing this? Thanks!
Old 12-30-16, 10:07 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think you can find a rear wheel for about $75 now, coupled with a cheap $10-15 tire and a $35 cassette (105 is your cheapest 11-speed option, I think...)

If I was doing the switch weekly or more, That would totally be worth the $100 or so to have an easily swapped rear wheel for training.. much easier than tape, or changing tires...just a bit more money.
Old 12-30-16, 04:14 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Cedarbat
Here is another post I found on trifuel.com

I had the same problem with my Minora Mag trainer, I demolished a $50.00 Vittoria
racing tire in a month on my trainer. But no more. Here's what I have been doing for the
past year, and my rear tire is still like new !
Go to your local hardware store and get a couple of rolls of the DOUBLE-WIDE black
electricians tape. The regular width tape is not wide enough to cover the tire surface completely.
With the bike on the trainer I wrap a layer of this tape all the way around the tire, twice.
Electrical tape is an INSULATOR, so it guards your tire from the heat and the friction created by your trainer. Use electrical tape ONLY, as it comes off easily, with no mess or residue left on the tire. I simply tape the tire ride the trainer 2 or 3 times during the week, and then remove the tape for the weekend road ride. This way the tape peels off easily and doesn't stay on the tire long enough to start breaking down. At $1.29 a roll, one roll will do a month. If you do the math,
this is much cheaper than buying a new racing tire, or an entire rear wheel set just for use on the trainer.
That's some seriously questionable physics being referred to there.

If I were to set things up for some dedicated trainer riding, I'd get another rear wheel. Might not even need to match the number of speeds. As long as a couple of gears run clean, I can do the rest by changing the resistance setting on the trainer. For the ultimate in care-free indoor riding I'd fit a solid AKA airfree AKA airless tire to the trainer wheel. The higher weight and rolling resistance will work in its favor, and there is plenty of material to wear off.
Old 12-30-16, 04:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
The above is why one gets resistance rollers. Toss the bike on them and ride. Besides of course all the skills, none of which are provided by a trainer. One-legged pedaling on the rollers is the shiznit.
Old 12-30-16, 08:17 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I think the roller diameter has an impact on wear with the smaller diameter rollers causing more problems. A kurt kinetic trainer has 2+" rollers and I've never noticed any wear. I just use whatever's on my bike, normally GP4000s.
Old 01-01-17, 12:18 AM
jcuenca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
duct tape? Seriously?
Old 01-08-17, 08:24 AM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A couple of things- putting tape on your tire seems it would be more of a hassle ( and mess after you heat it up a few times real good) when you go to remove it. Second, making sure your trainer is set up correctly should help with chewing up tires. Third, having a decent trainer with a metal roller helps as well. I use old tires and find that they last very long (current one on it's second season). If you are going to invest the time and a few bucks playing with tape, either change out the tire or pick up a used wheel & tire to use.
Old 01-08-17, 12:17 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I was going to ask, does riding on a trainer really put that much wear on a back tire? I've adjusted mine to where the metal roller just has good contact with the rear tire. I don't think it would wear it down that much.
Old 01-08-17, 12:59 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The tire primarily wears because the small trainer wheel has to be tightly pushed against the bike tire. This deforms the tire a lot more than riding. It will wear anyway with tape on the tire. Duct tape will leave a mess on the tire when you take it off.
Old 01-09-17, 02:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I just use an old clapped out tire that I replaced last summer when I started getting too many cuts and whatnot.
Old 01-16-17, 11:02 AM
koffee brown

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I remember a trick about using cardboard. It seemed to work decently.

koffee
Old 01-16-17, 11:22 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
My older bike's tires would shred on the trainer, a Kurt Kinetic. Little rubber bits, the size of sand, would be on the floor after a few rides.

But now, my nice GP4000 tires don't have a problem. They get a shiny look, but no shredding or wear.

I don't sprint on the trainer, I don't want to shred the tires or stress the bike frame. I use higher air pressure than when I'm road riding, and I turn the tension knob about 2 turns after the roller contacts the tire. It'll slip if I stomp on the pedals.

I kept a few old tires that are just about worn to the threads, but I haven't felt the need to put these on.
Old 01-16-17, 12:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
A reason to have two sets of wheels, nice and good but no attached love. Summer you train on the so-so wheels, ride events on the good wheels. Winter the good wheels go on the trainer with an old rear tire. I use old Rubino Pros that I have a few of. A few years ago, those tires had a hard compound that was treacherous in the wet as a light rider. I only used them if I was going to be riding goathead country. They are perfect trainer tires.

Ben