Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Gearing question

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Gearing question

Old 03-07-14, 04:39 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Gearing question

This has been bugging me for a while now. Used to own a cruiser, and sadly let it go before checking.

How many gear-inches does a typical cruiser use. I remember that it was easy to get rolling, but would like a point of reference to the lightweight FG I've got now with only 64 gear inches.

Do they gear the ladies bikes even easier?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-14, 06:22 PM
Iron Horse

Bikes: Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
Most all of my cruisers start out stock 44 tooth front, 18 rear. That's unless you are running a skiptooth. If I have difficulty climbing with some of my heavyweights (60+pounds), I just gear down the rear. You should be able to get up to a 20 tooth without having to add any links. You can go to a 22 tooth for some really low gearing, but you will have to add at least a half-link to get it to fit. All of this will keep your ride looking stock to most people.
Old 03-10-14, 03:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
now with the advent of the compact BMX 9 tooth rear wheels some pretty spall chainrings are made ..

+ for heavy hauling shop floor toolbox trikes & etc. there are 36t for the regular One Piece Cranks Too

they, if a Proper Bike Shop Will try to change the gearing , if you ask.