Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

diamondback lux 27.5 vs raleigh eva 3.0 need help choosing

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 10:08 AM
riggs224

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking for a beginning mountain bike for my 11 year old daughter. Want to do some easy fire trails now and maybe get into some beginning single track by the end of the summer. Very basic rides, but something that has a few bumps and hills in it. I have been trying to decide between the diamondback lux 27.5 ($550 retail) and the Raleigh Eva 3.0 ($389 retail). I have been told in a bike shop by someone who had the raleigh but not the diamondback that they are equivalent bikes. My understanding from reading forums is that similar price point bikes will be of similar quality. The price difference between them is significant, so I was hoping for some advice. Through work, I am able to get a significant discount on the diamondback which would actually bring them into the same price range. However, I cannot currently find a the 2014 lux 27.5 to try a ride on for her. I am hoping they come into stock soon. We have sat on the raleigh and it seemed to fit, though a little smaller would work. According to online sources, the diamondback lux would be an inch smaller stand over.
Thank you for any help.
Old 04-11-14, 03:15 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How tall is your daughter? Unless she's tall for her age, I'd probably steer you away from 27.5" wheels. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything decent from DB that still uses 26". Bah. I get that the industry is moving in that direction, but 26" wheels for someone 5'3 will feel like 29" wheels for someone 6'0. And then there are people who just like little wheels.

I'd also recommend you not limit your search to women's specific bikes. The only women's specific bike I own is my road bike...I tested a few women's mountain bikes, but found a few unisex (men's?) bikes that fit me better.