Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Intro - Love the vintage bikes

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 10:57 AM
caschnd1

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500, 1988 Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hello, I'm Craig. I just joined the forum this morning.

My first job was as a bicycle mechanic. I started working in a shop when I was 14 y/o and it carried me through high school and paid for my college education. I continued working weekends in bike shops after college up until 1988. So my knowledge of bicycles is mainly from the 70's and 80's. A lot has changed. With the current pandemic situation, the bike shops have been closed for a while in my area. I've had several neighbors and friends reach out and ask me to do work on their bikes since they can't get them serviced at a shop. Luckily, I can still order parts on-line.

I currently have 2 bikes in my possession. Both would be considered "vintage" at this point. I have a 1988 Cannondale SR500 road bike and a 1988 Cannondale SM500 mountain bike. I still ride the mountain bike pretty regularly, but the road bike hasn't been ridden in years. Both are completely original except for tire/tubes. They even have the original grips and bar tape in surprisingly good condition.

I'm looking forward to poking around the forum a bit. You'll probably find me over in the "vintage" sections mostly.

-Craig
Likes For caschnd1:
Old 04-28-20, 11:06 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Howdy!
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-28-20, 08:58 PM
Alsobay

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by caschnd1
Hello, I'm Craig. I just joined the forum this morning.

My first job was as a bicycle mechanic. I started working in a shop when I was 14 y/o and it carried me through high school and paid for my college education. I continued working weekends in bike shops after college up until 1988. So my knowledge of bicycles is mainly from the 70's and 80's. A lot has changed. With the current pandemic situation, the bike shops have been closed for a while in my area. I've had several neighbors and friends reach out and ask me to do work on their bikes since they can't get them serviced at a shop. Luckily, I can still order parts on-line.

I currently have 2 bikes in my possession. Both would be considered "vintage" at this point. I have a 1988 Cannondale SR500 road bike and a 1988 Cannondale SM500 mountain bike. I still ride the mountain bike pretty regularly, but the road bike hasn't been ridden in years. Both are completely original except for tire/tubes. They even have the original grips and bar tape in surprisingly good condition.

I'm looking forward to poking around the forum a bit. You'll probably find me over in the "vintage" sections mostly.

-Craig
Welcome!!! See you around the old...er cool stuff. I'm an 80's era guy as well. Love all things vintage.
Likes For Alsobay:
Old 04-29-20, 06:43 AM
vailskier3

Bikes: 2011 GT Series 2 SRAM Apex, 1980's Bianchi Rekord 841, 1954 Schwinn Twinn

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
welcome to the forum!
Likes For vailskier3:
Old 04-29-20, 06:57 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Welcome Craig! I have a 1988 SR500 too, bought it new. I used to have the "Blueberry" paint job, which I finally had to strip off after 32 years of hard riding. These Cannondale frames are made with some hardened aluminum that polishes up quite nicely, with a little work:

Here is the main "Vintage Cannondale" thread, I think it has around 1100 posts: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...annondale.html
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-29-20, 08:12 AM
caschnd1

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alsobay
Welcome!!! See you around the old...er cool stuff. I'm an 80's era guy as well. Love all things vintage.
Thanks! Yeah, my "hands on" experience with bikes would almost all be 80's vintage and earlier. I've enjoyed poking around the vintage board here. All the photos of bikes from the 70's/80's bring back a lot of good memories.

-Craig
Old 04-29-20, 08:13 AM
caschnd1

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vailskier3
welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
Old 04-29-20, 08:16 AM
caschnd1

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Welcome Craig! I have a 1988 SR500 too, bought it new. I used to have the "Blueberry" paint job, which I finally had to strip off after 32 years of hard riding. These Cannondale frames are made with some hardened aluminum that polishes up quite nicely, with a little work:

Here is the main "Vintage Cannondale" thread, I think it has around 1100 posts:
Yeah, I found that "Vintage Cannondale" thread. I love the natural aluminum look of your bike. As soon as I have enough posts to qualify for posting photos, I'll add photos of my SR500 and SM500 to the thread.

-Craig
Old 04-29-20, 10:17 AM
mtb cheaha

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to hearing about your experiences on two wheels.
Old 04-29-20, 11:16 AM
caschnd1

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb cheaha
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to hearing about your experiences on two wheels.
Thanks for the welcome.

My current biking experience is pretty mundane. My wife and I just ride to local parks and enjoy the weather (when it's not 100F+ outside). In years past, I used to ride a bit more competitively. In the 80's I was participating in local biathlon (running & biking) events. Prior to that I did a lot of BMX racing.

-Craig