Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the new MKS GR-10 pedal?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 12:20 PM
bike-izle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You like it?
Old 02-26-13, 01:51 PM
BigglyPuff

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not the GR-10, but I have GR-9's and Urban Plats and like both of them. Can't see how I would dislike GR-10's.
Old 02-26-13, 02:35 PM
skielbasa
Sentient Sausage

Bikes: 2013 Leader 725, 2012 Windsor Clockwork Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes and yes. I also have GR-9's too, the GR-10's are much more comfortable. I have really soft/worn down shoes so my foot actually would sink into the middle of the GR-9's. The GR-10's are flat on the top like the Urban Platforms which eliminates that issue. However, I do find them harder to flip than my GR-9's (probably just me). And if you plan on running double straps you need really long bolts to keep the front strap in place.
Old 02-26-13, 03:10 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by skielbasa
And if you plan on running double straps you need really long bolts to keep the front strap in place.
Not true. Angie uses GR-9s and I've use Wellgo RO25bs without long bolts. The straps stays put just fine.
Old 02-26-13, 03:19 PM
skielbasa
Sentient Sausage

Bikes: 2013 Leader 725, 2012 Windsor Clockwork Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Not true. Angie uses GR-9s and I've use Wellgo RO25bs without long bolts. The straps stays put just fine.
I meant for the GR-10s, it might be my cheap straps though.
Old 02-26-13, 06:46 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Unless your straps are insanely loose, physics will still hold the straps in place.
Old 02-26-13, 06:53 PM
UCF Eric
OASAASLLS

Bikes: Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a set of GR10's for a few days before they snapped in half. Super comfortable pedal, would buy again.
Old 02-26-13, 06:58 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

If only you knew how to hop your bike...
Old 02-26-13, 08:14 PM
BigglyPuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCF Eric
I used a set of GR10's for a few days before they snapped in half. Super comfortable pedal, would buy again.
What the..? You mean at the spindle or what? How you do dat?
Old 02-26-13, 08:18 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

He hit a curb and the body broke right behind the clip.
Old 02-26-13, 08:26 PM
LeosLeader
Has Brakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the GR10s as well, i love em. I got a big foot too, for cages. I wear sz13.
Got mine from Scrod.
Old 08-29-14, 08:25 AM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I am shopping around for pedals and have settled on (I think) the GR-10's. I'm also looking at the MKS Urban. I wear a size 12 shoe and have a question about clips. I'm going to pick up the All City plastic clips and I'm curious if you guys with a similar shoe size think a Large clip will be big enough or if I need to go with an X-Large clip. I know the Urbans are sort of in-between the GR-9 and GR-10 so I was kind of thinking maybe an XL Clip with the Urban or a Large Clip with the GR-10... Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Matthew

Last edited by heymatthew; 08-29-14 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 08:47 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by heymatthew
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I am shopping around for pedals and have settled on (I think) the GR-10's. I'm also looking at the MKS Urban. I wear a size 12 shoe and have a question about clips. I'm going to pick up the All City plastic clips and I'm curious if you guys with a similar shoe size think a Large clip will be big enough or if I need to go with an X-Large clip. I know the Urbans are sort of in-between the GR-9 and GR-10 so I was kind of thinking maybe an XL Clip with the Urban or a Large Clip with the GR-10... Does this make sense?
No, it makes no sense to me. The width of the pedal has nothing to do with the length of the clip.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-29-14, 08:49 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
No, it makes no sense to me. The width of the pedal has nothing to do with the length of the clip.
Not the width, the depth. Front to back length.
Old 08-29-14, 08:52 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Not the width, the depth. Front to back length.
Are they different in depth forward of the axle ? I thought the only significant difference is the width.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-29-14, 08:55 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are they different in depth forward of the axle ? I thought the only significant difference is the width.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. If they're all the same front to back, then I just need to know if I should do a Large or Extra-Large for the clip based on my shoe size of 12. I think I read that Scrod prefers the GR-10 to a 9 for his pedals and that he's a size 12 so I was just assuming it's a deeper (longer) pedal. I may be wrong here, though and it may just come down to clip size.
Old 08-29-14, 09:05 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If they're all the same front to back, then I just need to know if I should do a Large or Extra-Large for the clip based on my shoe size of 12. I think I read that Scrod prefers the GR-10 to a 9 for his pedals and that he's a size 12 so I was just assuming it's a deeper (longer) pedal. I may be wrong here, though and it may just come down to clip size.
I just looked at the RG site and the GR-10 is definitely longer than the GR-9, so you may the right about this. I didn't see any length dimension listed for the Urban Platform, only a width value, so IDK what the difference might be between it and the GR-10. Maybe Scrod will chime in to clarify.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 08-29-14, 09:08 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just looked at the RG site and the GR-10 is definitely longer than the GR-9, so you may the right about this. I didn't see any length dimension listed for the Urban Platform, only a width value, so IDK what the difference might be between it and the GR-10. Maybe Scrod will chime in to clarify.
Yeah, I didn't see any length dimensions anywhere. I even looked at the MKS Catalog and they don't list dimensions at all. RG shows that the Urbans are "slightly larger" than the GR-9 and judging from what I've read online, the GR-10 is larger than the GR-9 and the Urban (GR-9.5, I guess ) so I'm trying to figure out which size clips I should get for my foot. Unfortunately, the only LBS close to me doesn't carry MKS pedals so I can't really try 'em out in-person.
Old 08-29-14, 09:17 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Yeah, I didn't see any length dimensions anywhere. I even looked at the MKS Catalog and they don't list dimensions at all. RG shows that the Urbans are "slightly larger" than the GR-9 and judging from what I've read online, the GR-10 is larger than the GR-9 and the Urban (GR-9.5, I guess ) so I'm trying to figure out which size clips I should get for my foot. Unfortunately, the only LBS close to me doesn't carry MKS pedals so I can't really try 'em out in-person.
Well, FWIW, I have small 7-1/2 feet and use medium MKS clips with my Urbans, so I'd venture you'd need XL clips. Why don't you post this question in the Ask Scrod thread ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 08-29-14, 09:18 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, FWIW, I have small 7-1/2 feet and use medium MKS clips with my Urbans, so I'd venture you'd need XL clips.
That's actually super helpful. Thanks! If someone chimes in with a similar shoe size, that's great, but I'm thinking you're right based on the fact that our shoe sizes are so far apart. I appreciate the help!
Old 08-29-14, 09:31 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Here's the deal:

I have size 12 feet and typically use size large clips on my pedals. I have GR-10s on one of my bikes and need to use size medium clips with them due to the pedal being considerably longer.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-29-14, 09:33 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Here's the deal:

I have size 12 feet and typically use size large clips on my pedals. I have GR-10s on one of my bikes and need to use size medium clips with them due to the pedal being considerably longer.

Hope that helps.
Helps a ton! Thanks so much!
Old 08-29-14, 06:00 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks,
Matthew
I have the GR-10 with Soma Oppy-X 4 clips in L/XL size. They fit my 11.5 foot just fine. I prefer the GR-10 to the GR-9 due to the smooth surface. The GR-9 can get painful, especially when climbing with softer sole shoes. Truthfully I don't use them anymore since I ride clipless on all my bikes but if you're looking for a good combo I recommend the GR-10 and a similarly sized clip.
Old 08-29-14, 08:36 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC
I have the GR-10 with Soma Oppy-X 4 clips in L/XL size. They fit my 11.5 foot just fine. I prefer the GR-10 to the GR-9 due to the smooth surface. The GR-9 can get painful, especially when climbing with softer sole shoes. Truthfully I don't use them anymore since I ride clipless on all my bikes but if you're looking for a good combo I recommend the GR-10 and a similarly sized clip.
Thanks! You guys have all been a huge help.
Old 09-02-14, 09:14 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate all the insight guys! Just ordered new pedals/clips/straps from RG. I'll definitely report back here to update the thread for future visitors once I've had a chance to get them installed and ride them for a minute. Looking forward to having some proper pedals that actually fit my flippers.

Thanks,
Matthew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.