Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Puncture repair patches glue on or self adhesive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Puncture repair patches glue on or self adhesive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 09:00 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
For some reason the new polyurethane tubes patch best with stick on patches, and they will stick forever after a light sanding.

Butyl tubes changed their composition about 5 years ago according to Park Tools. Prior to the change I used Park self-sticking patches for over 20 years and they would last the life of the tube. not anymore, the composition change will not allow the self-stick patch to last more than a day or two. I went back to Rema, I don't like to wait for glue to dry but there is no choice.

I'm not racing, so I fix my flats on the side of the road and not replace the tube, then go home and fix it, it's a waste of time.

I don't fix flats the way you all do; I rarely have to remove the wheel from the bike! I first try to locate the offending hole in the tire, once that is found, which is at least 75% of the time, I then remove half of one side of the bead with hole in the middle of the half, then I pull out about a fourth of the tube with the hole in the middle, sand, glue, while the glue is drying, I check to see if there is anything inside the tire that I need to remove, then stuff the tube back into the tire, reseat it, and inflate.

By doing it the way I do it, I'm not spending time taking the wheel off, not spending time undoing the entire side of a tire, pulling the tube out, check for anything inside the tire, put another tube in, reseat the bead and inflate, then roll up the old tube while getting all the air out. Then I have to go home and take the tube out, find the hole, patch the tube, roll it back up and store it again. A huge waste of time in my opinion.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 10-13-23, 03:09 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I've used self-adhesive patches in an emergency out on the road, but I don't think they're as good as the glue on ones. Hopefully, now that both of my main rides are tubeless, that will be less of an issue.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 10-13-23, 07:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4758 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've never used Rema. Though others sing it's praises. I wonder if Rema or some other has some little single use tubes. Then maybe I wouldn't be plagued with opened tubes that dry up before the second use.
Maybe a bit more than single use, but not as depressing to find it all dried up and unusable with these smaller little 5g tubes. A 10-pack is about $20

Old 10-13-23, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe a bit more than single use, but not as depressing to find it all dried up and unusable with these smaller little 5g tubes. A 10-pack is about $20
Nice! However that $20.00 equates to the cost of about 4 or 5 inner tubes for me. And at the current rate that I flat, that would easily be 10 - 12 years or more before I ran out of inner tubes. Actually probably 16, because I have a couple used tubes that are from tires I wore out without flatting and figured new tire, new tube seemed to sound right.
Old 10-13-23, 09:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Iride01
Nice! However that $20.00 equates to the cost of about 4 or 5 inner tubes for me. And at the current rate that I flat, that would easily be 10 - 12 years or more before I ran out of inner tubes. Actually probably 16, because I have a couple used tubes that are from tires I wore out without flatting and figured new tire, new tube seemed to sound right.
Yeah, but one of these little tubes might be enough to patch 4-5 tubes, if you're one to shelve your flatted tubes and then do patching sessions en masse. I'd guess also that being smaller tubes of vulcanizing fluid, they last a bit longer before drying out than bigger tubes, though I haven't put this to a test.
Old 10-13-23, 09:51 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 179 Posts

Hah! I've never seen the glue multipack but did get their hundred-pack of the patches. This is probably the only way to KNOW you have glue for the roadside patch job, given the things are essentially one-use.

I got an 8 oz can of Slime patch glue for home use, but it doesn't fit well in a pocket. :-)
Old 10-13-23, 10:21 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

How many flats are you expecting? Do you own a bike shop? I doubt I've used 20 glue tubes since I started riding over 45 years ago! And yes, that's all I carry is the smaller tubes. Of course I am cheating a bit when for about 30 years I was using glueless! LOL!!! but still, I think I would probably use a new glue tube once every other year. From what I've read, an unopened glue tube has a shelf life of 1 to 2 years tops, I never had a unopened glue tube that long so I can't make a personal comment other than from what I read on the internet. Here is what I got from Google AI:

According to the web search results, the shelf life of Rema vulcanizing glue for tube patches is 1 year from date of manufacture if kept unopened at 64 to 84 F*1. However, some users have reported that the glue can dry out even if it has never been opened2. Therefore, it is advisable to check the glue before using it and replace it if it is hard or sticky. You can buy tubes of Rema vulcanizing glue online or from some bike shops
Old 10-15-23, 05:38 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
"Wet glue" patches. Because they actually work, thanks to chemical vulcanization. LET THE GLUE DRY!!!! The glue-ons are a waste of time IME.

Instead of buying a hundred tubes of glue that you'll use once (and waste the rest), put your glue tubes in an airtight container. The VOA sample bottle is a perfect option:

Yes, they're glass, so be careful. I actually found a spare chunk of aluminum tubing that fit PERFECTLY around one, so it's no longer prone to being broken in the shop.
Old 10-20-23, 05:06 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I prefer the stick-ons because I'm kinda lazy and hate patching tubes. They're good enough with prep. It helps to run a lower pressure on a patched tube- took me way too long to have that epiphany.
Old 10-20-23, 08:44 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I prefer the stick-ons because I'm kinda lazy and hate patching tubes. They're good enough with prep. It helps to run a lower pressure on a patched tube- took me way too long to have that epiphany.
Back when tube composition was different than it is today I used Park glueless patches for about 30 years and never had one failed for the life of the tube, but about 5 years ago, according to Park because I asked them why their patches were failing after about 2 to 4 days, they changed the composition of tubes, and now the glueless patches will not hold, and I'm not one for dumping a tube because of a single flat, that to me is very wasteful, and a patch cost what? 30 cents? Since I'm not racing what do I care if I'm on the side of the road waiting a minute or two extra for the glue to dry vs a self stick patch! I'm hoping Park is working on a new adhesive for their glueless patches that will stick to the newer composition tubes, but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 10-21-23, 06:24 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The best patches were the old type which were vulcanized with a match or lighter.
Turn the sound off unless you really enjoy profanity:

Likes For tcs:
Old 10-21-23, 09:39 AM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Turn the sound off unless you really enjoy profanity:...
Before watching the video, I'd completely forgotten that we used to do this to patch motorcycle tubes when I was a mechanic 45 years ago.

Last edited by Paul_P; 10-21-23 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-21-23, 09:51 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I'm hoping Park is working on a new adhesive for their glueless patches that will stick to the newer composition tubes, but we'll have to wait and see.
(Park Tools) sticker patches are made to get you home.

After that, if you don't want to swap for a new tube, you need to properly Rema it.

I personally don't ride with patched tubes simply because I am able to get rid of all my patched tubes in the bikes that I sell, and none of them have come back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rema tip top.jpg (431.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 10-21-23, 12:08 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked 3,649 Times in 1,828 Posts
Here's something I just learned the hard way. TPU patches need to be stuck down as soon as you have applied the glue to the tube, before the glue dries.

Unlike patching a traditional butyl tube, where you must wait for the glue to dry first.

Reading the instructions in the RideNow patch kit makes this difference clear, but who reads patch kit instructions? Not your humble servant.

Old 10-21-23, 03:01 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Here's something I just learned the hard way. TPU patches need to be stuck down as soon as you have applied the glue to the tube, before the glue dries.

Unlike patching a traditional butyl tube, where you must wait for the glue to dry first.

Reading the instructions in the RideNow patch kit makes this difference clear, but who reads patch kit instructions? Not your humble servant.
Now I'm confused. I've been told that you don't use glue on patches on TPU that they only accept stick on. Is this dependent on who made the patches?
Old 10-21-23, 04:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked 3,649 Times in 1,828 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Now I'm confused. I've been told that you don't use glue on patches on TPU that they only accept stick on. Is this dependent on who made the patches?
The RideNow TPU patch kit comes with a tube of liquid glue, labeled "rubber cement".

The patches appear to be exactly the same material the tubes are made of, right down to the markings.

Old 10-26-23, 06:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,045 Posts
I just patched a RideNow 38g two weeks ago with Park self adhesive, doing nothing other than wiping the area with alcohol before applying patch. So far so good. I have Lezyne selfr-ahesive patched Aerothan tubes approaching 2 years without failure.

I have not used traditional cemented patches for over a decade, probably approaching two, as I’ve always had fine luck with self-adhesive, including on butyl. I have not had need to patch roadside since, well, I can’t remember, so I always do proper prep at home.

Insofar as I can tell from my experience, there are only downsides to using cemented patches, particularly in terms of time wasted and not having glue when you need it.

Self adhesive are always ready to go, and vastly superior (assuming one practices proper prep and application).

EDIT: I should add that the thin, supple Lezyne self adhesive are the best I’ve ever used, as I have had failures with Park. I just bought some Pax branded ones off Amazon thinking they might be like the Lezyne, but they are thicker and seem to be different material. I’ve not used yet, so no report on performance. Get Lezyne self-adhesive is my advice.

Last edited by chaadster; 10-26-23 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-26-23, 08:48 AM
rekmeyata

I never in 30 or so years had a Park self adhesive patch fail either, until about 4 or so years ago, that's when Park told me tube manufactures changed their composition which did not allow their patches to stick for long periods of time any more. I may try the Lezyne, I much prefer glueless over glue on, it's faster, and you won't discover a dried glue tube when you need it.
Old 10-26-23, 09:59 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 1,917 Times in 862 Posts

Where are you sourcing the 5 g tubes for $2 each? I'd be interested, as I have tested and/or patched close to 50 tubes just this week for local nonprofits.
Old 10-26-23, 04:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Where are you sourcing the 5 g tubes for $2 each? I'd be interested, as I have tested and/or patched close to 50 tubes just this week for local nonprofits.
I haven't bought these, but it's what came up on ebay when I searched
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385931013006

The other product shot, makes it appear that these really somewhere are packaged in mini cartons of maybe 50? No idea if you can buy them retail though.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-26-23, 07:18 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Crwban
Which are best?
I've been enjoying self-sticking patches for about 20 years now. I have never had one fail. Furthermore, the little tube of glue won't dry out before the second patch because.....there is NO glue tube. Also the box of patches is TINY in my seat bag.

I would be more concerned with self sticking patches on high pressure road bike tires but I don't own road bikes anymore. 50 psi is my max these days.

As others have said here, glue on patches will last forever. It's NOT GLUE anyway. It's a welding chemical that makes the tube and the patch as one (if you do it right). The patch can NOT come off. That said, my no-glue patches have lasted the life of my tires.

Get the surface of the tube prepped properly and you are golden either way. Just don't stick a glue-on patch onto the "glue" until it is completely "dry". Remember...it's not glue.
Old 10-27-23, 06:13 AM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
The OP should search the forum for my posts about rema.
When I did a search I was directed here.
Old 10-27-23, 06:46 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 279 Posts
Glue tubes drying out?

Those days are gone as I use a hot gun gun to seal glue tubes air tight AND put in a glass jar AND refridgerated.

Cheapie glue sticks are not sticky and can be peeled off easily.
Old 10-27-23, 07:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Glue tubes drying out?

Those days are gone as I use a hot gun gun to seal glue tubes air tight AND put in a glass jar AND refridgerated.