Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Newbie to E-Bikes: ? on conversion

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Newbie to E-Bikes: ? on conversion

Old 03-05-21, 08:15 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
There will be a plethora of different opinions on rear hubs, from direct drive kits to geared models. eBikeling is a good source for either although there are lots of other possibilities. Be aware that most DD systems are heavy and you might not like the ride although on smooth roads they're fine. Since you're looking for a modicum of assistance and not a "motorcycle", I would recommend a 36V, 350w geared rear hub (eBikeling's is 500w which is OK), but make sure you procure a good battery. Em3ev and ebikesca (expensive, but configurable) are good vendors although there are others. Don't know where you reside, but a 36V kit should be "legal" (look at the "Class" system) and be considered a "bicycle". I'll include a picture of my six year old
48V, 33 mph, $200 kit plus $500 battery which I don't recommend for you.
That's a beautiful bike! Thanks for the specific advice.

Happy riding,
Scubaquarius
Likes For Scubaquarius:
Old 03-05-21, 08:17 AM
Scubaquarius

Mid-drive installation is not that difficult (look at the YouTube videos on BBS02) if you're familiar with working on bottom brackets. Also, I have a picture of the 36V, 350w 20mph front conversion on my daughter's bike, which is a 3-speed internal geared bike with rear coaster brake. I couldn't fit the battery in the frame tubes..
I bet your daughter loves that bike!

Scubaquarius
Likes For Scubaquarius:
Old 03-05-21, 09:21 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
That's a beautiful bike! Thanks for the specific advice.

Happy riding,
Scubaquarius
Hi 2old,

So a question if I may: do I need to buy one of the bike stands with the clamp to do this conversion?

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 03-05-21, 09:42 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
In general, no. I've found that inverting the bike works well for hub installations, and isn't needed for mids. There are some specific considerations with any of the three. We can help you when you decide. For me, hiding the excess wires was paramount and I didn't want to shorten them in order to do it. The tank bag on my daughter's bike (and the green one) and the frame bag on the mid-drive accomplished that. Since this is your first attempt you need to be very selective. You haven't mentioned budget, but that's important too.
Old 03-05-21, 02:14 PM
Scubaquarius

In general, no. I've found that inverting the bike works well for hub installations, and isn't needed for mids. There are some specific considerations with any of the three. We can help you when you decide. For me, hiding the excess wires was paramount and I didn't want to shorten them in order to do it. The tank bag on my daughter's bike (and the green one) and the frame bag on the mid-drive accomplished that. Since this is your first attempt you need to be very selective. You haven't mentioned budget, but that's important too.
Greetings 2old,

I really appreciate you following my posts and your help. I think that I would like to convert my Sedona and the mid-drive method looks easiest.
I would like to do it for under $1,000.00, hopefully less. Is that realistic?

Thanks and keep it on the road,
Scubaquarius
Old 03-05-21, 05:04 PM
2old

IMO, you can't go wrong with that choice, but will be a little above $1,000 with a BBS02 which is the least expensive motor kit I would recommend (individuals had problems with TS systems, and I don't know whether they've fixed the situation). You can save money with a less expensive battery, but could be a problem. Maybe somebody will chime in with other suggestions.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-06-21, 09:22 AM
Scubaquarius

IMO, you can't go wrong with that choice, but will be a little above $1,000 with a BBS02 which is the least expensive motor kit I would recommend (individuals had problems with TS systems, and I don't know whether they've fixed the situation). You can save money with a less expensive battery, but could be a problem. Maybe somebody will chime in with other suggestions.
Honestly, I have no idea what a decent e-bike conversion costs. I just through out a number. But I would want as "dependable,
durable" conversion as I could get and money is not the biggest consideration. Why build it if it won't provide service and use ?

Keep it on the road,
Scubaquarius
Old 03-06-21, 01:59 PM
2old

I am not affiliated with them, but look at Luna Cycle for the BBS02 kit and a battery (although there are other good battery suppliers). What general part of the world are you in?
Old 03-07-21, 10:17 AM
Scubaquarius

I am not affiliated with them, but look at Luna Cycle for the BBS02 kit and a battery (although there are other good battery suppliers). What general part of the world are you in?
I live in Northwest AR, on the other side of town from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. Biking is pretty big here. Pretty extensive concrete trail system
and I see mountain bike trails when I'm out riding and of course they are advertised.

I will check out Luna Cycle... thanks so much,

Scubaquarius
Old 03-07-21, 11:46 AM
Scubaquarius

I checked Luna Cycle for the BBS02 kit and looks like they are sold out.
I checked Bafang for a BBS02 Kit including battery was $750. Though I
don't know anything about the quality of the battery.

Scubaquarius
Old 03-07-21, 05:49 PM
2old

Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
I checked Luna Cycle for the BBS02 kit and looks like they are sold out.
I checked Bafang for a BBS02 Kit including battery was $750. Though I
don't know anything about the quality of the battery.

Scubaquarius
That seems like a reasonable price and I would think Bafang, that probably sells a million motors a year, would know how to procure good batteries (and other Chinese companies would value their business). Interestingly, the owner of the local MTB forum, imtbtrails, just moved to Bentonville. This forum is composed of mostly "e"-haters though. The house on 15 acres AIR sold for $300K, lucky to get an outhouse in socal for that amount.
Old 03-08-21, 08:16 AM
Scubaquarius

That seems like a reasonable price and I would think Bafang, that probably sells a million motors a year, would know how to procure good batteries (and other Chinese companies would value their business). Interestingly, the owner of the local MTB forum, imtbtrails, just moved to Bentonville. This forum is composed of mostly "e"-haters though. The house on 15 acres AIR sold for $300K, lucky to get an outhouse in socal for that amount.
I have heard homes there are expensive. We have a modest retirement home here,1480 sq. feet, with a decent backyard. We paid $125,000 back 5 years ago. We are about 1 mile from the main bike trail (or at least one of the many spurs) which extends from Fayetteville through Bella Vista up into Missouri.

So mountain bikers hate ebikes... interesting!

I am going to look into the Bafang BBSO2 kit more. There were quite a few choices to add to the kit and I'm not sure what all those are.

Have a great week 2old,

Scubaquarius
Old 03-08-21, 08:18 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I can give you an idea of what I did to protect the motor and battery from splash and mud. I have two protections. First is full fenders followed by a splash guard made of heavy plastic with stand offs around the motor. I can end up with substantial mud on the splash guard even with the fenders. The bottom bracket area with this setup stays clean enough to just wipe down.

Old 03-09-21, 09:22 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by KPREN
I can give you an idea of what I did to protect the motor and battery from splash and mud. I have two protections. First is full fenders followed by a splash guard made of heavy plastic with stand offs around the motor. I can end up with substantial mud on the splash guard even with the fenders. The bottom bracket area with this setup stays clean enough to just wipe down.

Awesome job with the mudflaps and fenders!

Scubaquarius
Old 03-09-21, 08:54 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Todays ride was 42 miles on crushed wet limestone. Pictures show bottom bracket area and front fender/ mud guard. You can see how effective the setup is.