Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mods for my new Brompton (carbon seatpost anybody?)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-17, 09:39 PM
rsanchezsaez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got my new Brompton (H6L) 2017 edition! I'm very happy with it, and I'm looking into performing some mods.

My first mod were the Brooks Ergon grips. I'm also waiting for a Brooks Swift Titanium saddle in a honey color.

(It was my sweet spot between weight and looks. I also looked into the Berthoud Galibier, but I didn't like how the plastic piece on the backside looks. The Brooks B-series are too heavy. The Brooks Cambium I really like, but all the titaniums are black, which is a color I don't like.)

What other mods (specially weight-saving mods, to offset the saddle and grips) would you do if cost is not a concern?

I'm considering getting a carbon or titanium seat post, but I cannot find many reviews of their effectivity and safety. Also, I'd go for Brompfication for their reputation, but their production is halted at the moment. I've seen H&H offering both Carbon and Titanium ones (https://www.ebay.com/i/192125533648?chn=ps&dispItem=1). Does anybody has any experience with them? I'm tempted by the carbon one due to a very low weight, but I'm worried because I read in a review that it cracks if over-tightened, and it slides if under-tightened. Any thoughts? (Note that I weight 140lbs).

Any other mods that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2066.jpg (94.2 KB, 491 views)
IMG_2067.jpg (89.3 KB, 484 views)
IMG_2051.jpg (97.9 KB, 488 views)
Old 10-05-17, 12:33 AM
kamtsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stumbled recently upon this after market vendor called Dino Kiddo. They sell through amazon and possibly through other channels. All kind of interesting upgrades (you said const is no concern).

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=w_bl_hs...rds=Dino+Kiddo

I installed this one recently (from a different vendor) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728D6FY5 it fits nicely and doesn't interferes with the fold. Matching bottles are sold separately.
Old 10-05-17, 01:32 AM
rsanchezsaez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I saw Dino Kiddo as well, I think they also sell titanium seat posts. I'm not interested in a water bottle adapter, but thanks. ;-)

If anybody has experience with alternative seat posts I'm all ears.
Old 10-05-17, 03:52 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've had several from a variety of sellers. All good. I think the latest one is J&L or something. From ebay. I got the extended length with fluted top to take the pentaclip.
Old 10-05-17, 07:26 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I would like to point out that there are hardly any safety guarantees when you buy aftermarket parts from unclear sources. Dino Kiddo offer in particular hinge clamp and bolt sets that are supposed to look nice but have bolts out of alu. There are actually more predictable ways of hurting yourself than riding with these, as here the precise moment and the suspension of whether you will just cripple or kill yourself are in the air
Old 10-05-17, 09:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nope , I'm 200 #.. NB there are Black finish seat posts, in steel and aluminum (there are Al seatposts with an internal LED tail light Array)..
Old 10-05-17, 10:31 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dino Kiddo isn't cheap - my carbon seatpost was from J&L (ebay) and cost less than US$100.

I'm relatively short and light so I'm not too worried about carbon failure from overextension of the seatpost, not to mention it's a 2-speed I use mainly for short-distance multi-modal.

Been using it for more than 18 months without issues.
Old 10-05-17, 10:49 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
heheh I got carbo/titanium quick releases for Brommies..... due to the fact that I am not a Brommy dealer having a hard time to find buyers for it ..lol sorry no seatpost
Old 10-05-17, 04:57 PM
MultiplexMan

Bikes: Brompton-Vostok, Cannondale Hooligan, BF Fixie, Litespeed OBED, Cannondale Badboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wife and I are using J&L Ti bars and seat posts.
Tube section is concentric and wall thickness uniform - I only inspected with an internal bore gage and external micrometer.
Seat posts are flared cleanly.

No issue with use - no slipping.
Old 10-05-17, 05:42 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I have a new 2016 M6L in a gorgeous Stardust Black. Only mods so far are Ergon grips, ti Brooks B17 and the plastic left pedal extender Clever Cycles sells.

I might consider a ti seatpost if I ever decide I care enough about the weight of the bike (I don't), but I wouldn't trust carbon. Any material in that major load-bearing area that snaps instead of bending is a recipe for disaster. Steel, ti and aluminum bend.
Old 10-05-17, 06:31 PM
Hisamatsu

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know Brompfication production got halted, why is that?

Mods I have are ergon grip, mks qr pedals, Nov magnetic clamps, Brompfication easy wheels, Minimod x-roller, 38T sugino chainring and monkii cage. Planning on getting a Ti seatpost but gotta find an extended model first. Maybe the lightskin seatpost with built-in lights.
Old 10-05-17, 10:12 PM
MultiplexMan

Bikes: Brompton-Vostok, Cannondale Hooligan, BF Fixie, Litespeed OBED, Cannondale Badboy

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hisamatsu
I didn't know Brompfication production got halted, why is that?
Story is on the web site and the founder's blog. Summary - Peter Griebel returned home to Denmark after ten years in Thailand.

https://twitter.com/brompfication?lang=en
Old 10-06-17, 12:36 AM
Brompton_X

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon, Tern, Birdy

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought the H&H carbon seatpost and really like it. For titanium seatpost, I have tried one from ebay (J&L) and some other from China, Aliexpress I think. They are pretty much all the same. The quality is good.
I also purchased one called SEMA. It is same design as the stock seatpost but made of carbon fiber. I have tried about two months and found no issue so far. If you are interested and google SEMA brompton seatpost, you should be able to find it.
Old 10-06-17, 05:50 PM
rsanchezsaez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the replies!
@MultiplexMan The Ti Bar looks like a really worthwhile update. I found this one for the 2017 model:

J&L Ultra light Titanium/Ti 25.4mm/1" M-TYPE Riser Handle Bar fit Brompton-2017 | eBay

Does anybody know if the M and H bars are identical? Also, why are there two different widths offered?

@Joeremi What's the plastic left pedal extender? I'm very tempted by the Ti detachable pedals detailed here: https://clevercycles.com/blog/2017/0...hop-continued/

@Hisamatsu The magnetic clamps look really cool! I'll probably get them. Easy wheels and Minimod x-roller are probably worth it too, do you know if these increase much weight?

Still conflicted about the carbon seat post, I cannot find any serious reviews out there about them.
Old 10-06-17, 06:36 PM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rsanchezsaez
... Also, I'd go for Brompfication for their reputation, but their production is halted at the moment. I've seen H&H offering both Carbon and Titanium ones (https://www.ebay.com/i/192125533648?chn=ps&dispItem=1). Does anybody has any experience with them? I'm tempted by the carbon one due to a very low weight, but I'm worried because I read in a review that it cracks if over-tightened, and it slides if under-tightened. Any thoughts? (Note that I weight 140lbs).

Any other mods that you'd recommend?

H&H seatposts did go through

ISO 4210-2 Mountain and Road bike spec. tests.
testing spec.
Fatigue : 1200N , 100000 Cycles
Static Strength : 2000N

Newest Titanium versions are with double butted (lighter and stronger) process, rated 90Kg .. standard length and also extended version.

And I think the integrated single bolt saddle clamp much easier to use than brompton "pentalclip" and lighter

Old 10-06-17, 07:59 PM
MultiplexMan

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks all for the replies!
@MultiplexMan The Ti Bar looks like a really worthwhile update. I found this one for the 2017 model:

J&L Ultra light Titanium/Ti 25.4mm/1" M-TYPE Riser Handle Bar fit Brompton-2017 | eBay

Does anybody know if the M and H bars are identical? Also, why are there two different widths offered?
We went with the wider bars as there was no increase in cost. My wife has 580mm straight bars whilst I run 560mm low rise bars.

Our Bromptons are running Rohloff twist shifters with Avid brake levers (TRP Spyre disc brakes) & Ergon grips. I wanted as much handle bar "real estate" as possible without the bar grounding when folded.

Both bars have a bit of surplus length as is - which may be trimmed in the future.
Old 10-07-17, 12:46 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Pedal extender. My mistake, I got it from Portapedal, not Clever Cycles.

https://www.bromfoot.com
Old 10-07-17, 12:50 AM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MultiplexMan
We went with the wider bars as there was no increase in cost......
M Stem with Joseph Kuosac ergonomic handlebar (H stem and rack will give more ground clearance). 600mm still perfect fold (vs. stock 520mm). 130mm grips compatible. No need to trim or change new cable (S type brompton will have to cut short and redo cables). Steering much stable and now it rides like a small wheel MTB

Last edited by bike.gang.uk; 10-07-17 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-07-17, 08:36 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
What other mods (specially weight-saving mods, to offset the saddle and grips) would you do if cost is not a concern?
Haha.... funny considering you started here with 'best intro folder for $600.'

If you're trying to reduce weight to make the bike easier to carry while folded, you might also consider taking advantage of the compact locking fold and finding an easier way to carry the bike. eg, for me, on top of one, or across both, shoulder(s) water jug style. I can only comfortably carry my bike ~20 yards suitcase style, but up to 100 yrds on one shoulder and up to 600 yrds across both shoulders. (Course a rack and Xroller allow nice wheeling while on smooth surfaces, but add weight.)
Old 10-07-17, 12:03 PM
rsanchezsaez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@MultiplexMan Thanks for the update, could you kindly post picture pics of your bikes? I'm really intrigued about how they look.

@Joe.Remi Oh, the pedal extender looks cool! For pedals, I'd love to go with QR Platform Pedal, Left - Brompfication but Brompfication resume in production seems delayed. I've emailed them but they have not gotten back to me yet. If Brompfication turns out to be permanently halted, I'll go with https://www.bike48.com/product/mks-co...s-w-ht-pedals/ (those are some cool colors!)

@Bike.gank.uk The JK handle bars look really cool! I'd love to have the extra width, but I'm concerned about weight. It'd be amazing if they offered JKs in titanium, alas it doesn't seem the case. I'll probably go with the J&L Ti one.

@reppans Haha, true. In the end I couldn't help myself and jumped in with both feet. The mind-shift happened when I gave it a test-ride, folders are so much fun to ride. I love how the Brompton looks, both folded and unfolded.

You have some good advice there regarding carriability. Which straps do you use for shoulder-carrying? Also, while we're at it, this bag looks pretty good: https://www.etsy.com/listing/5045245...QaArs8EALw_wcB both for carrying and for bringing it to the beach while avoiding having to rest it over the sand.

By the way, I want to comment on how happy I am with the Brompton quick release bag system. It's such a pleasure to attach/deattach. I got the Roll Top Bag + frame (Khaki waxed canvas) and I love the look, feel, weight, and size (attached pics).

On unrelated news, my Brooks Ergon grips "broke". One of the ornamental metal plates at the end fell off (they're held there by a weak adhesive, see pic). I though Brooks stuff meant high quality... sigh. I've requested a replacement from Amazon. :-)
Attached Images
IMG_2082.jpg (106.0 KB, 408 views)
IMG_2083.jpg (86.5 KB, 405 views)
IMG_2078.jpg (54.9 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by rsanchezsaez; 10-07-17 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-07-17, 12:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Many here seem to want to de logo everything.. you seem very attached to them, takes all kinds..

consider double stick tape?
Old 10-07-17, 12:10 PM
rsanchezsaez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol at this mod I just found: BROMPTON Hinge Clamps Levers I want to replace them by something stylish, but I think these wouldn't be very practical, I don't want to feel like I'm closing the main water supply when unfolding my bike.
Old 10-07-17, 12:16 PM
rsanchezsaez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Many here seem to want to de logo everything.. you seem very attached to them, takes all kinds..

consider double stick tape?
Haha, I'm proud of brands which (supposedly?) have craftsmanship and elegance in high esteem, plus the Brooks logo is beautiful. If my replacement grips exhibit the same problem I'll fix them myseslves, but I wasn't expecting having to do home-made repairs after just two rides...
Old 10-07-17, 02:42 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I don't use a bag or carrying straps (more stuff to rig/pack/carry) - just have a small pad attached the main tube, then flip the folded bike upside down and rest it on my shoulder while holding the seat tube, basically the same way you'll see 5 gal water jug delivery guys carrying that 40lb lump on their shoulder (clicky).

Same idea for 2 shoulder carry - main tube runs behind my neck across both shoulders, and I wrap my left arm around the extended seat post pointed downward. Basically like carrying two water buckets balanced on a pole stretched across your shoulders - balance works best with the bike unfolded, but folded is fine too, you just need to strap the rear wheel to lock the fold since the seat post is now extended.
Old 10-07-17, 03:35 PM
rsanchezsaez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
I don't use a bag or carrying straps (more stuff to rig/pack/carry) - just have a small pad attached the main tube, then flip the folded bike upside down and rest it on my shoulder while holding the seat tube, basically the same way you'll see 5 gal water jug delivery guys carrying that 40lb lump on their shoulder (clicky).

Same idea for 2 shoulder carry - main tube runs behind my neck across both shoulders, and I wrap my left arm around the extended seat post pointed downward. Basically like carrying two water buckets balanced on a pole stretched across your shoulders - balance works best with the bike unfolded, but folded is fine too, you just need to strap the rear wheel to lock the fold since the seat post is now extended.
Very cool, thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.