Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Portable pump

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Portable pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 03:41 PM
Madelineoak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Portable pump

Hello,
I am a commuter cyclist getting a road bike for the first time, and I'm looking for a good portable pump. I have the Topeak Road Morph G on my commuter, which works great to get a tire up to pressure (and has an accurate gauge). My new bike is 16 lbs, and I'd like to get an appropriately light pump for it, but reading reviews it sounds like most of these pumps struggle to get up to 60 psi, let alone 90-110 which I would prefer. Can you refer me to a pump that could do a better job reaching ideal pressure, yet is lighter than the Road Morph?

Thanks
Old 10-23-19, 03:46 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Get 28mm tires or bigger if your bike can handle the width, so you don't have to get such high pressures.
Old 10-23-19, 03:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
No portable pump is going to be as good as a home floor pump. Just use the road morph you have to get you home after a flat. Easy and saves $$$.
Old 10-23-19, 03:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Recommend you use a CO2 inflator on you light bike.

The light-and-small road pumps require a lot of work to get a tire up to pressure.

If you really want a pump, consider one of the combination CO2/hand pumps, like this one.

Old 10-23-19, 04:41 PM
Madelineoak

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Recommend you use a CO2 inflator on you light bike.

The light-and-small road pumps require a lot of work to get a tire up to pressure.

If you really want a pump, consider one of the combination CO2/hand pumps.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm looking at a couple of versions of the combo pumps with CO2. I don't understand quite how they work, but I like the idea of having both options available.
Old 10-23-19, 04:55 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
There are plenty of mini pumps out there that will get you to 100+PSI but don't expect it to be easy. Generally speaking, the smaller the pump, the more strokes and effort it takes. I would strongly suggest that you get something that has a flexible connection to the valve stem. It will make things way easier and possibly prevent you from damaging the stem.

I carry the Topeak Racerocket and have used it a half dozen times on the road. For a 25c tire, it takes about 125 strokes to get it up to a pressure that I can ride on, which is maybe 80PSI. I've used it enough that I can generally tell when I've got enough pressure based on how hard it is to pump and it gets pretty hard. Might get pretty sick of it if I had to get to 100.

If I was getting one now, I'd probably go for something with a longer stroke to get more air per stroke.
Old 10-23-19, 05:14 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Mini morph isn’t tiny and lacks a gauge, but is small enough to carry in a jersey and easily inflates to 100psi or more.
Old 10-24-19, 02:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
TopeakRocket HP, or the longer HPX for fewer strokes to riding pressure. I have both. Best ergonomics of any mini pump I've tried. And convertible for Presta or Schrader.

Blackburn Core Slim is also very good. Comparable to the Topeak RaceRocket HPX. Functional valve core tool in end cap. Better looking but ergonomics aren't as good - sharp edged metal end caps, no rubber grip. But very good anyway.

I also carry CO2 in case I flat on a group ride but haven't needed it yet.

I *have* used my mini pumps to help other folks when their only CO2 cartridge was spent and they had a second puncture.
Old 10-24-19, 03:10 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I ride vintage road bikes and have always used my Zefal or Silca frame pumps. I was given a CO2 kit by someone who can’t ride anymore but I have never used it even though the opportunity has occurred. To be honest , I am a little intimidated by it, how does it know the pressure ? I am afraid of over inflating and ruining the tires.
Old 10-24-19, 09:57 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I ride vintage road bikes and have always used my Zefal or Silca frame pumps. I was given a CO2 kit by someone who can’t ride anymore but I have never used it even though the opportunity has occurred. To be honest , I am a little intimidated by it, how does it know the pressure ? I am afraid of over inflating and ruining the tires.
"It" just equalizes with what's in the cannister. I think a 12g (roadie sized) CO2 is unlikely to asplode your tire and should get you up to about 100 psi depending on the air volume in the tire. Make sure you deflate and reinflate the tire when you get home, CO2 doesn't last.

As for light pumps, the road morph G is the smallest useful pump I've come across but it doesn't really mount nicely on a road bike. I use a lezyne road drive instead but they're hard as heck to use if you have to inflate a tire all the way up. It's basically for testing for leaks and starting a tube or when I run out of CO2
Old 10-24-19, 10:12 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I really dislike CO2. I have had a couple of defects, or bummers, whatever you might call them. New canisters that are empty though never used.

I remember doing a century with a guy who swore by CO2. He had 2 on the ride. Ended up losing the air in his tire, goofed another. Ended up borrowing my frame pump right after a debate on CO2 vs pump.

Now I use the Lezyne chrome pump (model ?). It gets me up to 90 psi which is enough to get me off a mountain road and finish a ride. Fits nicely on the bike. Sadly the modern bikes have a radius in the top tube so it's hard to carry the old Zefal pump that allowed me 110.

As far as the OP, if I lost 5 or 6 pounds (maybe more) going from a commuter to a light roadie, I don't think I'd sweat a few extra grams on a pump.
Old 10-24-19, 04:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I handled every Lezyne mini pump when REI stocked the complete lineup, and just couldn't see any advantage to their design. I like some Lezyne products, especially their Road Caddy minimalist saddle bag. But they don't have the best mini pump design.

Needing to detach and reattach the hose seems unnecessarily fussy with the Lezyne. And it has the same problem I dislike with the otherwise excellent Blackburn Core Slim -- no rubber grip, hard metal edges on the end caps.

But the Blackburn includes a useful metal valve core tool. That, plus the longish stroke and efficiency and good looks, makes it worth considering. Topeak claims to with the RaceRockets, but it's soft plastic -- pretty much useless.

The Topeak is more versatile since it's convertible for Presta or Schrader. Until fairly recently one of my hybrids used Schrader rims and tubes, and the Topeak RaceRocket HP was short enough to fit in the medium sized saddlebag. While it didn't have the same volume per stroke for larger tires it was still handy on that bike.

BTW, some video tutorials show inflating the tire mounted on the bike. This usually necessitates using only one arm to push the pump. It's more efficient to inflate the tire off the bike. Then you can balance the effort between both arms, pulling the pump toward you with one hand while pushing or bracing with the other. I picked up that trick last year after my shoulder was broken and dislocated. I mostly used the injured arm to support the pump, bracing it against my torso, while using my left hand to pull the pump toward me. The hoses make it easier. The wheel can flop around a bit, no problems. Or hook a finger around a spoke to support it if you prefer. Either works fine. Now with both arms in good shape again I can pump to 90-100 psi, no problem. Just takes more strokes with a shorter mini pump -- usually around 200-300 strokes with the shorter Topeak RaceRocket HP. Around 150-200 with the HPX or Blackburn Core Slim.
Old 10-25-19, 11:55 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
A 16 lb bike: you can still use the Road Morph. Its going to be about the use of that bike. Recreational riding, training rides, no big deal. Group rides with the fast group? Maybe just the cartridges.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 10-25-19, 12:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I don't have the answer to how you mount the good "portable" pumps to modern carbon fiber frames, but the answer to your question is the Zephal HPX. With it, you can get your tires up to any pressure you will ever want to ride easily. They last for years, even decades. (Zephal HPXs are black. The aluminum version is the "Classic".) The HPXx are a joy to use. ~90 easy strokes to inflate from scratch and topping off pressure is easy. (And so is getting the pump on and off without lossing air. Yes, you can damage innertube valves pumping pumping improperly. The trick is to hold your left hand around the pump head with your thumb on the tire. Now all your pumping force goes into your hand, not the valve.)

Us old-school steelies have been using those pumps and their predecessors for the past 45 years. They work. In fact they work so well you need no other inflation devices. I owned only Zephal HPS (the predecessor), one pump per bike, for 20 years and all through my racing days before I bought a floor pump. Lent my HP to a clubmate and watched him put 120 psi in his time trial tires. He was a skinny engineer/masters age racer and he accomplished this without difficulty.)

You might be able to get the plastic Zephal pump clips around the left seatstay. I've seen folks mounting their pumps there but never looked closely to see how they did it.

Ben
Old 10-25-19, 02:49 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Get a CO2 kit + and micro pump as backup in jersey pocket or mounted to water bottle cage. Ie, Topeak micro rocket in carbon or AL and Genuine Innovations Microflate Nano are both very light and small carrys.
Old 10-26-19, 09:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Madelineoak
Can you refer me to a pump that could do a better job reaching ideal pressure, yet is lighter than the Road Morph?
No.

You have a pump that is well designed and constructed. Its accurate and easy to inflate to pressure.

Why move away from that just to save 100g and make use more difficult?