Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ride ends with felony

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ride ends with felony

Old 02-15-20, 03:58 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
Pay attention. You are claiming "facts that are not in evidence" and or you have no knowledge are true.
Submitted to facts in that are in evidence: your poor reading comprehension Congrats.
Likes For bahula03:
Old 02-15-20, 03:59 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Pay attention. You are claiming "facts that are not in evidence" and or you have no knowledge are true. (Spending time in jail, needing to get bail money is just wild speculation by you that given what we do know so far is more likely false than true in this case. Also, he was arrested for failing to stop not, as far as we know, for running a stop sign.)

He didn't "threaten" anyone with a felony. He simply pointed out what under the law could be a felony. (See my last post that specifically addresses that.)

The whole episode at this point from what we have seen and heard, and we believe it, happened due to just one big misunderstanding.

Uhh... did you actually click on the link in the first post? I'm guessing you did not, or, if you did, that you did not read a single word in the article.

Here are the first few parts of the story, from the link...
  • Javier Lopez, 18, was arrested during a group ride near Oveido, Florida, this past weekend after he rolled through a stop sign.
  • The arresting officer’s dash cam and body cam footage was made public this week.
  • Lopez was in jail for seven hours before his father, who was also on the ride that morning, posted bail of $8,500
Old 02-15-20, 04:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
Ok, just checked the two videos again. There is NO STOP SIGN for the cyclists that they supposedly ran. That stop sign in the video is for traffic coming from the side road were the cops were parked.
The stop sign at the start of the dash cam video clearly says "All Way" so we have to assume that there's a stop sign that we can't see in the shadows on the left side of the frame. Regardless, this wasn't a blazingly stupid and dangerous run through the intersection; definitely an overreaction, which I can only read as the cops going all "respect mah authoritay!"
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-15-20, 04:11 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The stop sign at the start of the dash cam video clearly says "All Way" so we have to assume that there's a stop sign that we can't see in the shadows on the left side of the frame. Regardless, this wasn't a blazingly stupid and dangerous run through the intersection; definitely an overreaction, which I can only read as the cops going all "respect mah authoritay!"
That is a valid point, however, sticking to the evidence provided by the police officer (the videos) the evidence is inadmissible since it does not prove that a sign was actually posted on the side of the intersection the cyclists were coming from. A defense attorney could well argue someone removed the sign, or that even the cops removed it for their “run the sign trap”.

Point is the videos prove nothing, just that the cop told a couple of kids on bikes to stop.
Old 02-15-20, 04:23 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Enlarge the video, far left of the screen, clearly a stop sign...gotta frame by frame as it is in the first couple second...made me take a second and third look,lol.
Old 02-15-20, 04:35 PM
GreenAnvil

Originally Posted by Chad991
Enlarge the video, far left of the screen, clearly a stop sign...gotta frame by frame as it is in the first couple second...made me take a second and third look,lol.
Just did. I see the yellow arrows sign indicating to the oncoming traffic (from the road that the kids turned into) that that the road ends and you gotta turn right or left. I also see some sort of squared sign, but not the octagonal-shape stop sign. And mostly glare reflections from the police dash cam, but no sign.

I’ll look for it on my large monitor screen.

Edit: Nope, still can't see it. I see a squared-shape sign, but that's not a stop sign (assuming we're referring to the sign to the far left right in front of the yellow-arrow warning sign). And the sign shouldn't be at the other end of the intersection but rather at the start of the intersection (before) for oncoming traffic. Another comment is, if you advance the video to the 28-second mark, you will see the stop sign for the road the kids turned into. Usually, all-stop signs refer to four-stop or three-way stop signs, and according to the Connecticut DOT:

"All-way stops are a low cost form of intersection control. Stop signs are placed at each road approaching an intersection requiring all drivers to stop before proceeding through the intersection. All-way stops are commonly referred to as four-way or three-way stops. The first vehicle to reach the intersection should move forward first. If two vehicles reach the intersection at the same time, the driver on the right would proceed first."

If you look at the stop sign (again, 28-second mark) there's no all-way sign under the stop sign as you see for the one at the beginning of the video. So, in the context of the video, the all-way sign at the beginning of the video just means "if another car gets to stop sign at the same time you do (the road to the right), s(he) has the right of way."

So, I didn't see the stop sign that you are referring to, even while looking at the video on a 30-something inch monitor. Your eyes are definitely much better than mine.

Another edit: Looked now at the 2nd video. See a sign there but still looks squarish to me. But I’ll concede that may be it.

Last edited by GreenAnvil; 02-15-20 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-15-20, 04:58 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
Submitted to facts in that are in evidence: your poor reading comprehension Congrats.
My sincere apologies to you.

You are correct, I did not read the article, but only, literally, glanced at it and then for reasons I don't recall clicked on the youtube video that was further down the thread and watched that.

Thank you for pointing out my significant mistake or errors and in assisting me in learning a lesson to carefully pay more attention to something if I am going to comment on it. (Something I grossly failed to do in this case.)

Separate, from above, after reading the article I was disappointed to see the article's author decision to interject or attempt to make race an issue.
Old 02-15-20, 05:14 PM
WhyFi

That is a valid point, however, sticking to the evidence provided by the police officer (the videos) the evidence is inadmissible since it does not prove that a sign was actually posted on the side of the intersection the cyclists were coming from. A defense attorney could well argue someone removed the sign, or that even the cops removed it for their “run the sign trap”.

Point is the videos prove nothing, just that the cop told a couple of kids on bikes to stop.
Knock yourself out - I'm not looking to Perry Mason the case, just looking at it from the most likely scenario.
Old 02-15-20, 05:15 PM
GreenAnvil

Separate, from above, after reading the article I was disappointed to see the article's author decision to interject or attempt to make race an issue.
From the article (and the video):
  • both videos show the two riders rolling through the stop
  • Matre (the officer) asks Perpinan if he had stopped at the stop sign. When he says yes... (What? Didn't you just see that BOTH ran through the intersection together???)
  • Matre doesn’t speak to him again, nor does he attempt to arrest him for fleeing alongside Lopez.
  • In the police vehicle, Matre asks Lopez if he’s an American citizen. (He didn't ask the same question to Perpinan.)
You're right, the author of the article isn't shy to point out that "the optics of the facts" aren't great, but we could infer the same by looking at the facts.

Last edited by GreenAnvil; 02-15-20 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-15-20, 05:19 PM
GreenAnvil

Knock yourself out - I'm not looking to Perry Mason the case, just looking at it from the most likely scenario.
Cool then. But if the glove don't fit.... people have gotten away with worse and all that the defense team did was poke holes at the evidence and sow confusion.
Old 02-15-20, 05:34 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28428 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,297 Posts
wut

The officer witnessed the traffic violation. He was standing right there.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 02-15-20, 05:38 PM
GreenAnvil

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
wut

The officer witnessed the traffic violation. He was standing right there.
Well, that’s that.
Old 02-15-20, 05:39 PM
WhyFi

Cool then. But if the glove don't fit.... people have gotten away with worse and all that the defense team did was poke holes at the evidence and sow confusion.
Sure, but none of us are representing the kid, so it's just a bunch of gratuitous speculation and wheel spinning over an exceptionally low percentage circumstance. But hey - it's winter in the northern hemisphere.
Old 02-15-20, 05:42 PM
GreenAnvil

Sure, but none of us are representing the kid, so it's just a bunch of gratuitous speculation and wheel spinning over an exceptionally low percentage circumstance. But hey - it's winter in the northern hemisphere.
You’re 100% correct!
Old 02-15-20, 06:48 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
failure to obey
That says it all.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 02-15-20, 07:23 PM
GreenAnvil

Failure to obey.

If I had a dollar for every fast club ride where all of the alphas blow by stop signs and red lights... And the rest of us do it too so we don’t get dropped.

Where are the cops when you really need them, other than by falling on speed traps or having someone call them on you on some bogus charge? If these cops don’t have anything better to do than to patrol low traffic roads in the middle of nowhere and then channel their boredom induced frustration on some kids out on a cycling training ride I’d say that’s an awful waste of taxpayer dollars.

Last edited by StanSeven; 02-15-20 at 08:27 PM.
Likes For GreenAnvil:
Old 02-15-20, 07:58 PM
GreenAnvil

I just watched the 2nd video in full. Please.... The guy lied about stopping, but so did the other guy (according to the report). And the police officer saw what both did. The only thing I heard in there that could potentially be taken as “disrespectful” was a WTF, which I’d say is par for the course given the circumstances. I couldn’t understand most of what was being said in the background by the other riders, but it wasn’t a mutiny. Dad was very polite. On TV I’ve heard far worse from leaders and those that should be examples and nobody gives a ....

What an unnecessary episode. Someone won d!ck of the year award.

Last edited by StanSeven; 02-15-20 at 08:27 PM.
Likes For GreenAnvil:
Old 02-15-20, 08:17 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Thread was moved to Advocacy and Cycling from Road Cycling. I cleaned up political content as well. If you want to discuss race and impacts, this gets moved to P&R. Or you can start a thread there.
Old 02-15-20, 08:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
One wonders why the cops see the need to so actively defend this sorta-intersection in the middle of nowhere. The cops are also parked on gravel, which dead-ends into trees in about 300ft. So it's a bend with two gravel driveways joining it.

Old 02-15-20, 08:21 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Pay attention. You are claiming "facts that are not in evidence" and or you have no knowledge are true. (Spending time in jail, needing to get bail money is just wild speculation by you that given what we do know so far is more likely false than true in this case. Also, he was arrested for failing to stop not, as far as we know, for running a stop sign.)

He didn't "threaten" anyone with a felony. He simply pointed out what under the law could be a felony. (See my last post that specifically addresses that.)

The whole episode at this point from what we have seen and heard, and we believe it, happened due to just one big misunderstanding.
Then, why charge him at all? Why put him and his family through all that stress and inconvenience, potentially leave him with a felony charge on his record, only to just dismiss the whole thing? What exactly is the point of that exercise?

LE and prosecutors have way, way, way too much power in this country to bring bogus or BS charges, withhold exculpatory evidence, conduct off-the-books "investigations" and a whole host of other varieties of misconduct, including egregious civil rights violations. Citizens without massive financial resources have basically no recourse to deal with this type of misconduct. Way too much unchecked power.
Old 02-15-20, 08:50 PM
GreenAnvil

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
One wonders why the cops see the need to so actively defend this sorta-intersection in the middle of nowhere. The cops are also parked on gravel, which dead-ends into trees in about 300ft. So it's a bend with two gravel driveways joining it.

There’s the stop sign! Thx for sharing this view (courtesy of Google maps, I suppose?).

Yeah, that makes no sense at all.
Old 02-15-20, 09:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I’m not sure if this is on a different video. On the video I saw, there is NO STOP SIGN on the side of the road FROM THE DIRECTION THE RIDERS ARE COMING FROM, PRIOR to the intersection. The stop sign from the officer’s video is for the side road the cop is on that intersects the road the cyclists are on at the curve. If there is a stop sign. can someone please point that out to me. I’ll check again and if so I’ll edit my response.
Your post is indicative of the kind of ignorance many people have to what the signs right in front of their faces actually mean. The stop sign seen from the police vehicle is clearly marked "STOP - ALL WAY". That means everybody stops. All directions. Elementary.

Commence to editin'

DD
Old 02-15-20, 09:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm surprised this got moved to A&S and not P&R. It seems like the central issue here is police overreach.
Old 02-15-20, 10:56 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
That means everybody stops.
But not everybody gets busted. Although we can't talk about that aspect here, because that's political, and somehow having this discussion while omitting the most salient detail isn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-police-itself
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 02-15-20, 10:56 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Your post is indicative of the kind of ignorance many people have to what the signs right in front of their faces actually mean. The stop sign seen from the police vehicle is clearly marked "STOP - ALL WAY". That means everybody stops. All directions. Elementary.

Commence to editin'

DD
And a complete waste of police man power. Poor judgement on the felony arrest that will waste the jail's, DA's and judge's time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.