Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 07-18-20, 08:16 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
50+ miles mostly coastal metro san diego (just can't escape the haus before 11am these days) to mitigate inland heat. cabrillo national monument was perfect today as was the tidepool climb.
not as busy as i expected on a weekend after midday. biggest revelation was discovering the "danger zone" west of sea world (looping intersections of ingraham dr, sea world dr and west mission bay dr
with the focus on the speedy ingraham dr) has been repaved so instead of dealing with freeway speed cars merging/shooting across lanes and horrible pavement, it's just dealing with
freeway speed cars. small victories daily. mission bay area and little italy were packed. balboa park and the waterfront relatively quiet.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-20-20, 12:14 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Saturday, rode GMR/ GRR up to Baldy Village again. Finally broke into the sub 50min on the gate to shack climb (beat last week's PR) and got a PR on the GRR to Cow Canyon Saddle section. Felt great with the cooler temps.
Sunday, did a recovery MTB ride in the San Gabriels. Gotta keep those MTB skills in tune
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 07-20-20, 09:03 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Santa Barbara this weekend.

Day One was up Gibraltar and down Painted Cave and back to the hotel via UCSB, for a total of about 4900 vertical.

Day Two was a drive over to Solvang and then we pedaled up Drum Canyon over to Los Olivos and then down Ballard Canyon back to Solvang.

And Day Three was a short pedal through Hope Ranch, before the drive back to Point Loma.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-20-20, 10:26 PM
btppberk

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Is the biking in Solvang as good as reputed?
Old 07-21-20, 11:00 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by btppberk
you have a lot of roadie options. can’t speak to gravel or mtb but they would seem to
be fairly well represented.

from solvang, fig(ueroa) mountain is north and a tough climb (clockwise or counter-clockwise ascent) awaits. most of your roadie roads are within the santa ynez valley altho if you head west enough, the santa maria and lompoc areas add a few more options.

heading south pretty much just leads you to refugio rd which is paved, then approx 5 miles of relatively hard-packed dirt to the summit where the pavement appears again. you can make a left onto west camino cielo and continue on pavement uphill for a few more
miles until the summit and more dirt. the dirt eventually descends to the san marcos pass area. if you decide to
blow off the left onto west camino cielo and continue straight on refugio rd., it stays paved-barely. horrible pavement on a really steep descent. the road does take you all the way to the 101 and el capitan state beach.

heading east of solvang has a little for
roadies but it peeters out
pretty quickly. going east does contain the 800 lb gorilla in the room...california hwy 154 up to san marcos pass. tons of fast traffic up or down the hwy and shoulder varies from wide to less than zero. you can divert onto stagecoach rd either heading up or down the 154 in the santa ynez valley for a traffic break with much of the road in the shade. stagecoach rd also has a cool bridge and the cold spring tavern (nice history) enroute. much love/hate with the 154 to/from san marcos pass because there are three grest connecting paved roads near the summit: old san marcos pass rd (heads down to santa barbara), painted cave rd and east camino cielo rd. (eventually connects with gibraltar rd). all three are must-do’s at some point and all three are challenging. any major ride with elevation out of the santa ynez valley will involve the 101 by buelton and/or the 154 over san marcos pass.

Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-21-20, 11:09 PM
diphthong

a dawn patrol ride in the sammos along some
of old topanga cyn, mully, ascent of stunt, descent of schueren, up to top of piuma and down piuma to cold canyon. cc to
mully then west to las virgenes and back to the 101 corridor. 32-miles. low traffic as expected. other riders started appearing around 7:30am.
a bit of a long, ledge crack in the pavement on the upper half of piuma descending towards cold canyon/saddle peak lodge that could
mess someone up if they’re not paying attention before the tight switchbacks. otherwise, pavement decent.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-22-20 at 11:13 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-22-20, 02:13 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Tuesday ride: three valley loop. Conejo Valley to Olsen/Madera in Simi Valley. Shoot across Royal and eventually L.A. Ave until reaching Santa Susanna Pass. Climb the hill and descend nicely to the SF Valley. Down Topanga, over to Valley Circle, Calabasas and return to Agoura. Not too hot, fortunately and ended nearly 50 miles for the day.

I'm carrying two bottles plus a flex bottle in my jersey so that I can avoid dealing with water stops. Some of the ones in the park are closed anyhow. I'm not sure how virus free some of the spouts are so I'm trying to be self-contained. Eyeing a Yerba climb in the next week or so.
Old 07-22-20, 11:10 PM
diphthong

a 50-miler to a fave bbq spot east of el cajon for lunch from metro san diego and back. a little warm, but not as warm as usual out there.
the most exciting part of the ride was the beef brisket sando.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-23-20, 10:25 AM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
a 50-miler to a fave bbq spot east of el cajon for lunch from metro san diego and back. a little warm, but not as warm as usual out there.
the most exciting part of the ride was the beef brisket sando.
care to share this bbq spot, brisket sandwich sounds good!
Old 07-23-20, 10:47 AM
diphthong

[QUOTE=N2motorsports;21603165]care to share this bbq spot, brisket sandwich sounds good![/QUOTE]

grand ole bbq y asado in flinn springs off old hwy 80 (running parallel to the 8 fwy)...about 6 miles or so from the eastern edge of el cajon. huge patio, which is key for dining out these days. beef brisket is my fave thing they do but it’s all pretty good. decent beer selection as well if you are so inclined.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-23-20 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 06:01 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Originally Posted by btppberk
Yes.

Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-23-20, 08:33 PM
diphthong

60-spot on a relatively coolish day in july. the mesa into dtown the ferry to coronado. toodled around coronado and crushed a large pistachio + chocolate gelato, then down to imperial beach and a few thin crust slices o’ pepperoni for lunch. headed down to border field state park (still closed), then back up through san ysidro and western chula vista and national city before reconnecting w/d-town and balboa park area and home. relatively few cyclists out in coronado and along the silver strand.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-23-20 at 09:59 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-24-20, 04:00 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
From HB down to Irvine, Jamboree and Newport Back Bay Routes. The Back Bay road was closed to walkers and bikers about 1/2 way through. Anyway, about 35 miles with a couple of old friends. I ended the month with 465 miles which is 2nd best for me. Very happy with my last 2 months mileage.
Last weekend Back Bay was closed but most riders went around the barrier at Eastbluff entrance. Then just before University Drive, is where the big rock slide occured. There was a very narrow path to get past that area. Just this Thursday, riders now say Back Bay is completely closed. I was at the Eastbluff entrance and riders got out with the bad news. At least I got the first half done, entering around Dove Street at what's called the Castaway Park entrance.

By the way, that same weekend, I was at the Eastbluff entrance and saw a rider with a lavender custom paint job on a Felt. She was crossing over the barrier to get back on Eastbluff. I commented on the lavender. She saw my Cervelo (the other one) and said she will be starting work at Cervelo. I said "Toronto?" and she said "No, Irvine". Then she said that Cervelo is relocating from Toronto to Irvine. Now, that's a big deal.

Here's the link to the Canadian Sports Good Assocation

https://csga.ca/cervelo-leaving-toro...nge-county-ca/

It describes the move from Toronto to Irvine, CA

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 07-25-20 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 07-24-20, 06:38 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Needed some saddle time so rode my beach loop using the SGRT and SART. Sun came out as I stopped for a cookie break at doggy beach. What's with the e-fatbikes with 5+" treads buzzing the MUPS at 25 mph+? These are full blown motorized vehicles. A lot of moms and kidz on cruisers near the beach and these idiots are buzzing too close. Oh well, I feel better after that outburst.
85 miles and 3.7K of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32325761
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-24-20, 09:25 PM
diphthong

70 local miles in metro san diego and when i say local, i mean like every street in two neighborhoods near me. they acccounted for approx 48 miles.
boring as hell for the most part. turned into a homes and gardens tour.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-26-20, 10:25 PM
diphthong

95-miler in my fave socal riding area...west side sammos. usually don't ride in the santa monica mtns on the weekends. auto/motorcycle traffic not that bad in the mtns
but pch was a hot mess after 10am. hadn't hit the west side in a while so stupidly tackled the climbs of deer creek + pacific view/cotharin and the upper part of yerba buena,
decker, the upper/boring part of encinal and latigo with the ups and downs of mully. hadn't been on the (closed) part of mully downhill from the stop sign at mully/little sycamore
to pch in a while. pavement great and a blast to descend, even with the "stops." tons of cyclists on the "closed" part of mully. last time i descended it,
the road chatter almost knocked out my fillings. pavement was generally good on all those roads, including lightly travelled pacific view/cotharin.

made three...count 'em-three stops at the decker rd. fire station water fountain to cool down/refill water bottles. the circle x ranch one on yerba buena was working but barely.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3816854699

Last edited by diphthong; 07-26-20 at 11:09 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-27-20, 06:57 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
Sat. through Anaheim Hills up & over Serrano. Sun. Brea Cyn/Pathfinder/Fullerton Rd./East-West loop. Clear & sunny on Sunday.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 07-31-20, 04:51 PM
2seven0

Wife had to work today so I set off early on a wandering ride over Santiago Cyn. Hardly any cyclists & light vehicle traffic. Wanted to recon the Aliso Creek bikeway so I entered it on the north end of El Toro Rd. & took it down to Heroes Park & stopped for a snack. The north portion- beginning to where it becomes a wide sidewalk & parallels El Toro Rd is nice & wide & woodsy. Pavement is excellent. After you go under El Toro & continue south it becomes narrower and more winding. That portion is more suited IMO to walkers/joggers & family biking. Wasn't too crowded this morning but I wouldn't want to ride the southern portion during the weekend if it's crowded with pedestrians.
Exited at Trabuco then made my way west through Lake Forest, Irvine, Tustin & Costa Mesa then up the SART back home. 76 1/2 miles & 3400' total elevation gain. Beautiful sunny morning & got home before too much heat set in.
Old 07-31-20, 05:40 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by 2seven0
Wife had to work today so I set off early on a wandering ride over Santiago Cyn. Hardly any cyclists & light vehicle traffic. Wanted to recon the Aliso Creek bikeway so I entered it on the north end of El Toro Rd. & took it down to Heroes Park & stopped for a snack. The north portion- beginning to where it becomes a wide sidewalk & parallels El Toro Rd is nice & wide & woodsy. Pavement is excellent. After you go under El Toro & continue south it becomes narrower and more winding. That portion is more suited IMO to walkers/joggers & family biking. Wasn't too crowded this morning but I wouldn't want to ride the southern portion during the weekend if it's crowded with pedestrians.
Exited at Trabuco then made my way west through Lake Forest, Irvine, Tustin & Costa Mesa then up the SART back home. 76 1/2 miles & 3400' total elevation gain. Beautiful sunny morning & got home before too much heat set in.
yah that aliso creek bikeway-"paralleling" alicia parkway-is nice but skinny is areas. weekends would be tough. i've found early weekdays on various stretches are pretty good.
really enjoy the southern end of the trail that comprises the in/out section of aliso/wood canyons park.
Old 08-01-20, 04:19 PM
2seven0

I've been trying to go to a 4-day workweek for awhile but fortunately have been too busy to actually take Fridays off. Yesterday was the first Fri. in months that I haven't worked so mostly weekend warrior mode for me.
West
Old 08-01-20, 07:32 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
Just rode PCH from Carlsbad to Del Mar and back on this windy, humid day. The sea breezes were cool, but the traffic was nuts. At least the Saharizona tourists aren't flying the Confederate flag this year.

At a stoplight chatting (from a safe distance) with a friendly couple; flanked by cars on both sides and plenty of other riders respecting social-distancing behind them. Some deuchebag comes teetering around everyone up to the front with his carbon-carbon brakes squealing, less than a foot from my shoulder.

The friendly guy behind me says, "How many miles you doing today?"

"Only about thirty [panting heavily]. Caught the Virus back in March, and I'm still recovering..."

haha--Captain Carbon-brakes is inching away from me, rubbing sweat and sunscreen all over the right-turning car to our right. 8D

For the record, I was the sickest I've ever been in my life in mid-March (and my fitness is down to about 75% of what it was), but the guy I caught it from tested negative for COVID19 antibodies.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 08-01-20, 10:31 PM
diphthong

c-note in the san berdoos with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe. started just after 6am near silverwood lake and the ca hwy 138/173 junction.
climbed the 138 into crestline, angled over to lake gregory, then up to ca hwy 18 and eastbound and down (and up) to rimforest, running springs, arrowbear
and the hamlet of big bear. rode around bbl (including dry baldwin lake) and back towards lake gregory/crestline. nice "little" ascent and descent-mostly in the shade
on a very warm day-of the 138 back to the start. an ongoing mechanical issue. a flat. multiple (like 7) prius operators unfamiliar with life/driving protocol(s). a burgeoning
wildfire that had to be calculated into the old rate/time/distance formula. a ridiculous lunchtime sando along with lukewarm beer(s). various passing (not prius) auto "offerings"
from those unfamiliar with the doppler effect. road kill. and a refurbed garmin 810 finally put out of its' misery by a ford f150...ride had pretty much everything except a wipeout.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3850665917

pavement generally pretty good the entire time. south shore bbl during the summer is always dicey but so is the north shore. baldwin "lake" was quiet.
ca hwy 138 on both sides of old mill rd. between crestline and silverwood lake (mostly in the shade) may be the most underrated
road in all of socal...

Last edited by diphthong; 08-01-20 at 10:43 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-02-20, 08:31 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
c-note in the san berdoos with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe. started just after 6am near silverwood lake and the ca hwy 138/173 junction.
climbed the 138 into crestline, angled over to lake gregory, then up to ca hwy 18 and eastbound and down (and up) to rimforest, running springs, arrowbear
and the hamlet of big bear. rode around bbl (including dry baldwin lake) and back towards lake gregory/crestline. nice "little" ascent and descent-mostly in the shade
on a very warm day-of the 138 back to the start. an ongoing mechanical issue. a flat. multiple (like 7) prius operators unfamiliar with life/driving protocol(s). a burgeoning
wildfire that had to be calculated into the old rate/time/distance formula. a ridiculous lunchtime sando along with lukewarm beer(s). various passing (not prius) auto "offerings"
from those unfamiliar with the doppler effect. road kill. and a refurbed garmin 810 finally put out of its' misery by a ford f150...ride had pretty much everything except a wipeout.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3850665917

pavement generally pretty good the entire time. south shore bbl during the summer is always dicey but so is the north shore. baldwin "lake" was quiet.
ca hwy 138 on both sides of old mill rd. between crestline and silverwood lake (mostly in the shade) may be the most underrated
road in all of socal...
Big day! I only did have a c-note. Point Loma to Swami's.

Likes For Nachoman:
Old 08-05-20, 07:26 PM
diphthong

42-miler almost exclusively around fiesta island in san diego's mission bay area. 5 short loops and 7 long loops. kinda mind-numbing but, for some reason,
i didn't feel like mixing it up with stoplights and stop signs today so it worked. kept it in one gear on the big ring the whole time except for the last (big) loop
where it was a low-cadence mash/grindfest. not that many cyclists out. that little stretch on the northern end of the "island" needs some serious street sweeping
with serious sand occupying 25% or so of the lane for approx a third of a mile. nice day tho. slightly less breezy there than usual from 1:15pm-3:30pm.
Old 08-05-20, 10:12 PM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
First century

Did my first centuary after about 6 months of riding. Was actually pretty easy since the route was relatively flat. Started in Anaheim to corona then doubled back towards Huntington beach, lots of protesters that day, then onto long beach to pose with the queen as in the queen mary. Headed back down to balboa which was a terrible idea with the nonexistent bike lanes, in fact a car hit one of our buddy and just casually took of with a huge dent in his hood. Friend was fine, 260lbs absorbed impact like nothing, car had it worst. Finished in Anaheim, a grand total of 110 miles. Will try for Anaheim to San Diego in 2 weeks. Just a bit concerned about potentially having to ride the freeway...yikes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.