Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried the GRX RX812 derailleur with an 11-46T cassette?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 06:21 PM
howardv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts

Got a new gravel bike with GRX 11-speed drivetrain (single chainring). It has the GRX RD-RX812 rear derailleur, which according to Shimano's site will work with up to a 42T cassette. I have a XT CS-M8000 11-42 cassette, but would really like a bit more climbing power. I noticed the CS-M8000 11 speed cassette is also available in 11-46T. Would my current derailleur handle it, even though Shimano says only 42? I know people have pushed the Shimano guidelines successfully in the past, wonder if anyone has tried this specific set-up.
Old 08-21-20, 06:44 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I have not tried this but generally Shimano specs are conservative and you can get away with the next size up cassette HOWEVER with a 4 tooth increase you may need a longer chain to provide sufficient slack on the largest cog.
Old 08-22-20, 03:11 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Yep no issues. Had to get extra couple of links though.

Old 08-22-20, 09:55 AM
howardv

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Thank you so much! Exactly what I was hoping. I believe this will give me that little extra climbing power that I'm looking for.
Old 08-23-20, 03:22 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by howardv
Thank you so much! Exactly what I was hoping. I believe this will give me that little extra climbing power that I'm looking for.
For links go to your lbs and ask them if they have any extras from builds or chain replacements. For example on mine I just need 3 more links so it's silly to buy a second chain just for that.
Old 12-16-20, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464

Nice setup. Thinking about going this route. Which cassette model from Shimano (11-46) will fit a road hub body for a gravel build? Which one are you using?

Thanks!