Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

star nut sizing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

star nut sizing

Old 11-27-20, 07:47 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5442 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 236 Posts
star nut sizing

I'm having trouble getting the correct size star nut for my new fork. All the star nuts I look at seem to be sized to the O.D. of the steerer tube, but the I.D. of the fork tubes varies.
The I.D. of my old tube measures .975". The I.D. of my new tube measures 1.004". I ordered a new nut but it is too small. I scavenged the nut from my old fork but it is too small. All the nuts I look at online are sized to the O.D. of the tube.

I need a star nut that is a bit bigger than 1 inch in its uncompressed state. How do I get one that size? I found one place that tells you the actual O.D. of the nut but they are in England.
Thanks
Old 11-27-20, 11:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Is the OD of the new and old tube the same? The one with an ID of 1.004" obviously isn't a 1" OD steerer.

I've had 1" steerers that are different wall thicknes on threaded tubes. How common that is for threadless steerer tubes, I don't know. Assuming the star nut was bought for the correct OD size I'd think it'd push down into and work with tubes of differing wall thickness. However once used with a thick wall, it likely won't hold in a thin wall.

Perhaps you got a returned star nut from someone that shoved it through a tube already.
Old 11-27-20, 11:54 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
What is your new steerer made of, steel, aluminum or carbon? All1-1/8" steerers have an OD of 1.125" but a steel steerer has an ID of right around 1.00" while carbon steerers have an ID of around 0.85" to 0.95". If your steerer is a different material from the old one, that could explain the ID size difference.
Old 11-27-20, 05:51 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

I talked to a customer rep at Nashbar and he recommended a star nut. The old one is aluminum(?) and the new one is steel. The new one is thinner. They are both 1.125" OD.
ANYWAY, it seems only in England do they provide the star nut's actual measurement. I wish they did that here.
Thanks
Old 11-27-20, 06:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Try this
https://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek...hoCVYYQAvD_BwE

It's supposed to fit 1-1/8 steel steerers.
Old 11-27-20, 07:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

I have two new-in-box 1-1/8" threadless headsets and a star nut left over from a headset installed on a carbon steerer (expander plug only!). All three of these starnuts are about 1-1/8" OD and would be a press fit into any 1-1/8" steerer OD. I don't know how you got a starnut too small to fit unless it was previously used.
Old 11-27-20, 09:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
I went through this a while ago with a steel steerer (in 1 1/8"). At that time the star nuts provided by Chris King were a tight bfit in the larger ID steel steerer. The number of AL steerer star nuts were plenty and if one is using a star nut on a carbon steerer then you are in need for more then a well fitting nut...

But this thread speaks to the changing manor of our industry. back in the day one would just visit their LBS with steerer in hand and test fit the shop's stock. But this was when it was economical for a shop to stock all the various sizes of a common part. Of course in today's world of so many manufactures trying to stand out in the market place that the number of choices are bewildering to many and, IMO, needless in real life design. But it's not the after the sale service that so much of our distribution model is based on so no surprise. Andy
Old 11-28-20, 07:26 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Any tips on installation without a tool?

I've watched some youtubes where they tap it around.
Old 11-28-20, 10:54 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by sknhgy
Any tips on installation without a tool?

I've watched some youtubes where they tap it around.
I ithread a fairly long M6 bolt into the starnut and use it to hold the nut positioned over the steerer. Then pound on the bolt head to get the nut started and keep it visually straight. Once it's just below flush, I remove the bolt, add the steerer top cap and reinstall the bolt through the cap. Then drive the nut to its final depth with the cap acting as a guide.