Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

League of American Bicyclists

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

League of American Bicyclists

Old 12-06-20, 07:34 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
There is no doubt a local base is perhaps the most important. But Portland and all the of the cities that work with the League do it because they also get a benefit. Portland continues to apply for the higher ratings and I expect if you look closely, you will see that they participate in their meetings and other events, as leader and learners.
What actual benefit to Portland cyclists get from the League? I'm curious.
Thanks.
Old 12-06-20, 07:46 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
What actual benefit to Portland cyclists get from the League? I'm curious.
Thanks.
I think cities get a big benefit as do businesses and universities. The Leagues audit and rating system, that are paid for by the city, brings the city into the management of their roads in a much different way then when the League is not involved. Good local advocacy organizations leverage their national and international research and expertise. They provide a structure through the use of the 5 E's (now 6 of them) in their audits. They also provide ideas from other cities/States. And, they act as an independent consultant. Plus, they work on national lobbying efforts.

I see you live in Tacoma. I am advocating in Longview and use their material and approach as the basis for guiding political leaders and others to what our roads should look like. It also serves as a goal. When/if I can convince the city to apply for a BFC, it will be a clear commitment from city leaders. My first step was to get them to approve Complete Streets ordinance. That was accomplished. Now, it is a Bicycle Friendly Community which means LAB will come in to audit. Much of what they say as experts will be listened to more than the neighbor down the street, even if they say the same thing.
Likes For debade:
Old 12-07-20, 09:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
You are getting LAB confused with Adventure Cycling, both good orgs.
No it is Adventure Cycling.

But I see you are right.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-08-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-07-20, 10:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I was trying to find if Forester lead LAB. I never heard that and could not find the info. Are you sure about that? Just curious for my own learning. Thanks

Well, if you want an unintentionally hilarious account of it, you can turn to Forester himself: https://www.johnforester.com/LAW/League%20History.htm

It reads like the factions bit in "The Life of Brian".
Old 12-07-20, 12:39 PM
debade

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, if you want an unintentionally hilarious account of it, you can turn to Forester himself: https://www.johnforester.com/LAW/League%20History.htm

It reads like the factions bit in "The Life of Brian".
Thanks for sending this. I took a quick read which did not say he led it but he certainly complained. I was friends with Chris Kegel who was one of the original BOD member and has since passed away. He was a great supporter of biking.
Old 12-07-20, 12:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I was trying to find if Forester lead LAB. I never heard that and could not find the info. Are you sure about that? Just curious for my own learning. Thanks
Forester's participation with LAB as described by himself on his website www.johnforester.com/LAW/Candidate%20qual.htm
In 1976, I donated the Effective Cycling Program to the League. From then until the mid 1980s I developed and operated the Effective Cycling Instructor training and qualification program, and assisted the Education Committee in further developing that program. It was after my service that the League failed to maintain the EC Program.
I served as director of the League from 1976 to 1984.
About 1976, I was one of the hard-working volunteers who rescued the League from technical bankruptcy as the result of the relationship with the Bicycle Manufacturers' Association.

I served as president of the League in 1979-80. During my presidency I negotiated acceptance of the League's policies on matters such as nighttime protective equipment and bikeways. I worked with the publications editor to ensure that League's members were fully informed of the League's business and actions, whether they reflected well or ill on me. In the president's monthly column, I regularly expressed the policy that the League existed for the welfare of its members and that they, and the League, fared best when they acted and were treated as drivers of vehicles.

I did my best to preserve the League from takeover by the anti-motorists who were based in Ohio, but they succeeded by tactics that were legalistic and unethical. After that takeover, they again ran the League into technical bankruptcy through overextension and overambition.

Since that time, I have continually observed the operations of the League, considering when it might be possible to restore the League to serving its core membership of lawful, competent cyclists.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-07-20 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 12-07-20, 12:53 PM
debade

Thanks
Old 12-07-20, 02:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Forester's participation with LAB as described by himself on his website www.johnforester.com/LAW/Candidate%20qual.htm

My favorite part of his comical diatribe, which makes it clear he burned the bridges to LAB thoroughly during the last few decades of his life:

"The League is also an easy target of internal corruption. Lawful, competent cyclists are few in number and command only small amounts of money. The bicycle industry commands significant amounts of money and sees the support of the League as very desirable for getting support for bike paths that, supposedly, sell bicycles. The environmentalists are numerous, command large quantities of money, and see bicycling as the only significant possible competitor to motoring. The motorists and government (it is hard to separate them) command and spend enormous amounts of money in advancing their program of incompetent bikeway cycling. Any administrator of the League finds that the way to personal advancement is to go along with the popular programs, both for the money and political power that a larger membership brings in, and the outside money that is available for carrying out the popular programs. We have seen the failure of trying to recruit members who do not support lawful and competent cycling, but that is still being tried, and we have seen in the past the corruption produced by external funds, which are today available in far greater quantities, and have been obtained in recent years."

This is the organization equivalent of saying "nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

Oh, and the reason the League did away with "his" EC program in the mid-1980s is there really weren't many takers of a 30 hour course with a 900 page text.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-07-20 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-10-20, 06:16 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew913
Are there other similar national organizations which serve the same function or is this pretty much the go-to one?
People for Bikes.
Old 12-10-20, 07:49 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Very importantly, most bike clubs that have liability insurance buy it through LAB. A group of 20 or 100 cyclists couldn't easily approach an underwriter directly and get insurance, but bundled together by the LAB, insurance becomes financially and logistically plausible They provide a very important service in the background to many cyclists who may not even be aware of their role.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 12-10-20, 09:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Very importantly, most bike clubs that have liability insurance buy it through LAB. A group of 20 or 100 cyclists couldn't easily approach an underwriter directly and get insurance, but bundled together by the LAB, insurance becomes financially and logistically plausible They provide a very important service in the background to many cyclists who may not even be aware of their role.
Can you explain what service does club liability insurance bought through LAB provide?

IOW, who is covered for what kind of liability? Do all club members receive liability protection, and if so, under what conditions - only when riding on club sponsored rides or what?

Or is it just coverage/protection for the club officers from liability suits from its own members and/or the general public who might participate or be affected by its club activities?
Old 12-10-20, 10:35 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Can you explain what service does club liability insurance bought through LAB provide?

IOW, who is covered for what kind of liability? Do all club members receive liability protection, and if so, under what conditions - only when riding on club sponsored rides or what?

Or is it just coverage/protection for the club officers from liability suits from its own members and/or the general public who might participate or be affected by its club activities?
I'm no expert, but in my club the insurance is both liability and medical. It protects the club and the ride leaders from being sued. I would not lead rides without it. It protects everybody from this. It also provides medical insurance for injuries incurred on rides. It does not cover replacement costs for gear.