Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Done using my phone as a bike light. I need a light for my random biking.

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 01:50 AM
Brannon132

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys,

I’m reposting this from a flashlight forum because I think you would be more able to help.

So like I said I'm using my phone as a bike light and I need something better. I'm no professional rider and I am riding a Diamondback recoil and don’t care about weight.

I ride on logging roads and trails after work and sometimes I don't get back until dark and I'm using my phone as a light. I'm not doing Mach speeds at night just need a light for the ride back.

Me and my kiddos (8,6,4) like to ride on a paved trail that goes from our town through a couple other towns and a lot of times were riding back all using my phone as a light to illuminate our way home.

Last thing is that I broke my leg last year and part of my rehab is riding my bike for 30-60 minutes 3-4 days a week so I ride around town on the streets and sidewalks and since it's winter I'm riding in the dark and even though there are street lights in still using my phone for the dark parts.

I was looking at the Niterider dual 1800 for $130 but I don't like the proprietary charger. I would rather have a micro USB or a USB c charger. That led me to the Niterider 1200 OLED with the solas 250 for $180. Are there better options in the $200 range for a headlight and taillight and would be willing to spend more or less for better a better option for a bike mounted light? I also could use options for a helmet light somewhere in the $100 range...???? Also willing to spend more or less on a better option.

I've never had a light for my bike or ridden a bike with a light so I have no idea what to get so I really appreciate your guy's help with my situation.

Also if anyone knows of any decent cheap rechargable lights for my little ones bikes let me know as well!

Thanks again, Brannon
Old 02-25-21, 03:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If they are USB rechargeable lights, if you forgot to recharge them you are back in darkness again. If you had lights that ran on AAA or AA batteries, you can swap out the batteries if need be.

I use NiMH rechargeable AAA and AA batteries in my battery powered lights and many other devices, have not bought any disposable batteries in the past decade, but I have the convenience of being able to swap out batteries.

Most people put a higher priority on a good taillight to avoid getting hit by a car on the road than they put on a helmet mounted light.

I have a couple headlamps that were designed to use a strap that goes around your head, but substituting a velcro strap on some of them can turn them into a good helmet mounted light.
Old 02-25-21, 05:47 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I have a Planet Bike Blinky and a Planet Bike Beamer I put on my wife's bike 14 years ago. They can be had on Amazon and other online places as well. They are cheap and obviously long lasting. I picked up a set of Schwinn branded LED lights at Walmart for ten bucks recently because I wanted to scavenge the red lens off of the tail light for something. That didn't work out and I'm not going to go to the trouble of taking them back for ten dollars so I will put them on my wife's new old bike. For what you described your needs as, I would think they could possibly be an option except they are not USB rechargeable.

I'd think at the minimum for the cost, you could get something like the Walmart lights I described for your kids and they would be fine for their path riding and you may want something better for your street riding.

Old 02-25-21, 10:21 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
For random bikes I have a headlamp (Rofis - not produced anymore, but there should be other options now) that I aim low. I attach a Cygolite Hotshot to the back of the headlamp strap. The Hotshot has a USB port for charging and the headlamp too. The headlamp can be also used as a flashlight and runs off 18650, so the battery can be swapped if needed. That headlamp has a lockout to prevent it from discharging accidentally. However, Hotshot lacks such a feature and this is its major weakness. In a pinch, though, it can be connected to a power bank - yes I have been there.
Old 03-02-21, 07:02 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If they are USB rechargeable lights, if you forgot to recharge them you are back in darkness again. If you had lights that ran on AAA or AA batteries, you can swap out the batteries if need be.
Only if you have spare batteries, which most people probably don't carry. At this point Li-ion batteries are cheap and so dramatically better, that I can't recommend anyone get a AA powered light. If you want replaceable batteries,18650s are cheap, plentiful and have lots more capacity.

400 lumens is a good spot for most general night riding (high speed off-road trails is a different beast). So an 800-1200 lumen light will give you extra when needed and should have decent battery life. NiteRider and Light and Motion are both reputable companies. A NiteRider Lumina 900 Boost is $60 on Amazon and will do 3.5hrs at 375 lumens. A Light and Motion Urban 900 is $75. You don't need a massive tail light, just a reliable one. There's a Lumina 1100/Solas 100 combo on Amazon for $95, that would be an excellent starting point.

100 lumens is a very bright rear light. You don't need massive overkill on it. That said, there's a camp of people on here who think that having 10,000 lumens is safer by blinding everyone on the road.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 03-04-21, 04:29 AM
Bob N.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out the lights from Busch and Müller. Great lights, some more expensive than others, and they have beam patterns directed towards the road surface so the light doesn't blind folks coming towards you.
Old 03-04-21, 01:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Only if you have spare batteries, which most people probably don't carry. At this point Li-ion batteries are cheap and so dramatically better, that I can't recommend anyone get a AA powered light. If you want replaceable batteries,18650s are cheap, plentiful and have lots more capacity.
The last time I needed batteries for a bike light so that I could get home, I do not recall if it was AA or AAA batteries that I picked up at Walgreens, but it was one of those. Does Walgreens sell 18650 batteries?
Old 04-16-21, 02:38 AM
Brannon132

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went with a Lumina 1200 OLED and a 250 for $118. Thank you so much for your help!!!!
Likes For Brannon132: