Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is the fully integrated cockpit inevitable?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is the fully integrated cockpit inevitable?

Old 03-05-21, 04:47 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I read about this. I was reading fast, but it sounds like these bars are adjustable for width, though it doesn’t seem to to be the cause of the break. Btw, Canyon is recalling all the bikes that use these bars, so if you own one...
Didn't Canyon also make a custom clamp for shifters for those handlebars?

Between eating seatposts and this, they really didn't engineer the new Aeroad properly.
Old 03-05-21, 11:34 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Apart from the gee whiz factor, the integrated bars are a solution in search of a problem. Besides, I like being able to experiment with stem lengths and bar angles. While it will help a little with aero, for most of us it won't make a difference in our ride. BTW, I feel the same way about integrated cabling. While I wouldn't reject a bike that had it, I also wouldn't buy a bike because it had it. Cables have never gotten in my way, and I like the idea of being able to change them without fishing them out of the frame. I don't think about "unsightly" in terms of my bikes, except when it might come to something like psychedelic handlebar tape or gaudy strobe lights around wheels. Actually, I think the sharper my bike looks the better chance it will get stolen. Luckily, most bike thieves don't know the value of titanium bikes, at least I hope so.
Likes For Ramshackle:
Old 03-05-21, 05:00 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 307 Posts
My two cents:

People want adjustability. Integrated systems I am seeing above lack that. Some makers may introduce integrated systems with more adjustability, but of course proprietary interfaces between components, which I avoid like the plague. I've hated that for cranks/chainrings/bottom-brackets, brakes/hubs, etc. I want long-term serviceability, cheaply. And durability; What's my name?

Integrated systems may actually weigh more, unless fabricated from carbon fiber, which I avoid like the plague. With aluminum, it is very difficult and would require very expensive tooling to fabricate a strong and light integrated handlebar and stem. With (old style) separate components, you can tailor the processes for the components; Drawn tube for the handlebar, forging or good casting processes for the stem.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 03-06-21, 09:30 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
My two cents:

People want adjustability. Integrated systems I am seeing above lack that. Some makers may introduce integrated systems with more adjustability, but of course proprietary interfaces between components, which I avoid like the plague. I've hated that for cranks/chainrings/bottom-brackets, brakes/hubs, etc. I want long-term serviceability, cheaply. And durability; What's my name?

Integrated systems may actually weigh more, unless fabricated from carbon fiber, which I avoid like the plague. With aluminum, it is very difficult and would require very expensive tooling to fabricate a strong and light integrated handlebar and stem. With (old style) separate components, you can tailor the processes for the components; Drawn tube for the handlebar, forging or good casting processes for the stem.
You'd love the specialized sl7/venge system. No proprietary interfaces, adjustable, and the stem is made of alloy. You could get an alloy bar too, if you wanted.