Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone toured Puerto Rico?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 07:50 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

my spouse asked me yesterday if this could be a possibility for our upcoming vacation

thanks
Old 03-07-21, 08:42 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Hi PW, I have not, and only know one person who has been there as a tourist years ago. Have you tried looking on crazy guy on a bike for any trip journals?
I was going to suggest Cuba as a safe cycling place but then I realized that being in the USA , I imagine you are still not allowed to travel there?

I would suspect that biking in Puerto Rico is similar to my experiences riding in Mexico etc, ie that in the countryside in non touristy areas on smaller roads, things are laid back and drivers courteous, but cities are the usual mayhem.
With a side order of everywhere else there always having the possibility of surprise whacky driving/ passing around blind corners etc sort of things.

hope you find some info
Likes For djb:
Old 03-08-21, 06:18 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Thanks! Vacation is less than 2 months away and we still don’t know where we’re going 😅
Old 03-08-21, 06:45 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
US citizens can visit Cuba, but Cuba is effectively closed for the pandemic. Bad roads and no spare parts are the common problems cited with touring there.
Old 03-08-21, 07:20 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I cannot believe there are people seriously considering traveling for a vacation at the moment. Must be nice for them.
Old 03-08-21, 07:34 AM
PedalingWalrus

As usual, CGOAB was a great suggestion. It is too bad I reach out to it as last resort. Interestingly enough the true url was not coming up in first 2 pages of my google search (basterds ;-) )

It looks like a tour would work well. In this age of covid for US residents that may be a great option with many cities offering direct flights to P.R.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...&src=page_next

Rene

Originally Posted by djb
Hi PW, I have not, and only know one person who has been there as a tourist years ago. Have you tried looking on crazy guy on a bike for any trip journals?
I was going to suggest Cuba as a safe cycling place but then I realized that being in the USA , I imagine you are still not allowed to travel there?

I would suspect that biking in Puerto Rico is similar to my experiences riding in Mexico etc, ie that in the countryside in non touristy areas on smaller roads, things are laid back and drivers courteous, but cities are the usual mayhem.
With a side order of everywhere else there always having the possibility of surprise whacky driving/ passing around blind corners etc sort of things.

hope you find some info
Old 03-08-21, 07:40 AM
PedalingWalrus

I empathize, but we are on our way to be all immunized by the end of April. My wife is already, my friend is too... I am the only one who is lagging behind ... but it is feasible to achieve before the planned departure. Also we are not credit card tourers so we will be on our own 99% of the time.

P.S. if I did not get immunized before the departure we would most likely just drive to DC and do C&O/GAP back to back. That is our fail safe alternative.

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I cannot believe there are people seriously considering traveling for a vacation at the moment. Must be nice for them.
Old 03-08-21, 07:53 AM
djb

Yes, cgoab does not come up anymore on Google searches as the owner of the site has purposely taken the steps to stop this due to his views about Google.
if you put the actual url in a browser, it comes up, crazyguyonabike.com
I do not understand his views on lots of things, but it seems to me that it's not good for the site to make it invisible for the casual person who hears about it and tries to find it.

And yes, last night I saw a few PR journals there, looked at one where a couple went with their two children and from what I read, the experience was similar to my trips.
I just don't know how it would be now, I just haven't read of the reality there with covid.

re Cuba. While I've never had the urge to travel there, I do know that lack of everything has always been the norm there, but that because there is so little car ownership, riding is not dangerous traffic wise.
Old 03-08-21, 08:05 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
re Cuba. While I've never had the urge to travel there, I do know that lack of everything has always been the norm there, but that because there is so little car ownership, riding is not dangerous traffic wise.
Having been to Cuba, I can tell you that riding a bicycle would be about as much excitement as you could handle, traffic-wise, especially in Havana. "Not dangerous" is not a phrase I would use to describe it... "always off-road", even when you're on roads, and "hectic" would be more accurate.

But I'd also jump at the chance. Cuba is possibly the most beautiful place on Earth, with the most beautiful people on Earth.
Old 03-08-21, 08:30 AM
djb

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Having been to Cuba, I can tell you that riding a bicycle would be about as much excitement as you could handle, traffic-wise, especially in Havana. "Not dangerous" is not a phrase I would use to describe it... "always off-road", even when you're on roads, and "hectic" would be more accurate.

But I'd also jump at the chance. Cuba is possibly the most beautiful place on Earth, with the most beautiful people on Earth.
Havana is a typical big city, but still pretty tame compared to lots of other big cities simply because there are so less cars compared to other countries. But touring in Cuba will mean not riding around in Havana much, just like when visiting other countries, and Cuba has such a low percentage of car owners, that its significant.
When riding in cities you have to put on your "big city riding hat" and really be on the ball, and don't forget, it's all relative "excitement wise" and different people react differently to different riding situations.
I've ridden into and through large cities in Mexico, the capitals of Guatemala and Honduras, and while of course it's clearly not a patently enjoyable experience, it's doable and you get it over with as fast as possible.
Overall, cycling in Latin America comes with "hectic and rough roads" high up on the menu, it's part and parcel of the region, and being prepared for this and using common sense is the name of the game (but let's touch wood anyway ok).
cheers
Likes For djb:
Old 03-11-21, 11:32 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
From a few Puerto Ricans I've talked to, they are still not even close to recovery from hurricane Maria.