Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1973 Gitane TDF

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1973 Gitane TDF

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 07:49 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
The geometry on that one!
I can guarantee you that the disparity between the seat tube angle and head tube angle is due more to the camera angle/parallax than to reality.

A straight-on side view, from considerable distance (zoomed in as needed) is the only kind of photo you can trust in estimating a frame's geometry.
Likes For dddd:
Old 03-06-21, 04:16 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
A major “thank you” to forum member Obrentharris for providing me with an entire French cockpit to replace the one that was missing from this Gitane
Pivo stem, unmarked (but French) bars and a very nice set of Mafac brake levers and half- hoods. Everything that had been removed by a previous owner was provided by Brent from his parts stash.
Very kind, and very generous! Saved me a ton of work trying to track those bits down. Thanks again Brent!
Would you be able to post pictures of these when you get them? I'm curious to see how these look and compare to the Gitane I have. So great to hear about this community helping each other out. I hope to pay it forward one day and give someone a hand like this.
Old 03-06-21, 09:29 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts

Bars just need a bit of clean up and should be ready to go

Brent told me these parts were removed from a late 1960s Peugeot PX-10
Old 03-07-21, 12:36 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
i was just doing work on my bike yesterday at a nearby coop store and we replaced those brake lever adjusters with just a standard pair of cable holders but do the original cable connectors provide an advantage? To be honest, I started by taking everything apart and setting the bits aside and then by the time I started to put stuff together again, I forgot what went where!!! Typical rookie mistake and I should have known better.

I have those 2 parts still and can always replace them if I need to as I still need to add lever hood covers.

My stem also looks like that.
Old 03-11-21, 01:23 PM
orcas island 

Ok, we are getting a little closer here...
New French bars, stem and brake levers (courtesy of Obrentharris). New cables, VO crankset that I had in the stash, bar wrap, and a Cyclone front derailleur to match the existing Cyclone rear.
The nail polish touch up helped quite a bit; it’s a pretty fair color match and does a lot to disguise the glaring primer spots that were showing from the many chips in the paint. It passes the “6 ft look test”, which is the new Covid version of the previous “5 ft look test”!
A closer inspection of the rear hanger shows that it was indeed hacked off by some previous owner in order to go with the claw mount currently on the bike. Such is life...
Now just awaiting decals

The drive side seat stay seems to have suffered the worst of the paint chipping
Still ugly, but much better then before

Last edited by orcas island; 03-11-21 at 01:59 PM.
Likes For orcas island:
Old 03-12-21, 02:05 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
orcas island-

Cycles Grand Bois in Japan has an Ideale re-covering service for alloy frame 90s. It is not cheap but it sure is beautiful. https://cyclesgrandbois.com/SHOP/Ideale_90_repair.html

Old 12-10-21, 09:49 PM
orcas island 

Nearly done at this point. VO crankset for some climbing gears, bearings all rebuilt, Ideale saddle wetted and reshaped a bit, French cockpit courtesy of Obrentharris, missing decals supplied by Chas (Vertyg). New wider tires on order. It’s looking almost presentable!

Old 12-11-21, 07:15 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
(see avatar)

The Gitane Tour de France sticker on the fork only appeared on the drive side; the nds had a triangular Reynolds decal.
It looks like the replacement decal set comes with two of the fork decals.
Perhaps someone has an extra fork sticker they can send your way…