Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Old 02-22-21, 02:11 PM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
They never quite struck the right chord with the market back in the 80s, for which we (today) should be most grateful... they are SO WELL SUITED for today... I have had the good luck & fortune of owning several, and have ridden them in various configurations... These make awesome all-rounders.

what an intro to this thread! Nice fleet.
Old 02-23-21, 01:06 PM
orloved

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
A few photos of the new seat stays getting brazed back on by Johnny Coast here in Brooklyn! Will be hard to bring myself to paint it, but I'll never have a better time than now.

Likes For orloved:
Old 02-23-21, 02:17 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by orloved
A few photos of the new seat stays getting brazed back on by Johnny Coast here in Brooklyn! Will be hard to bring myself to paint it, but I'll never have a better time than now.

Sweet repair. As for paint you can go a couple directions, either "in for a penny, in for a pound" and fully paint the thing, or do the whole steel blue and clear coat for a nice patina style look. Fun bike.
Old 02-27-21, 08:00 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Replaced my Fat Franks so I could get under some fenders for sloppy spring riding.

85 Cimarron
Old 02-28-21, 09:55 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts

Curiosity, cats, etc.
These 650b wheels were headed for another project until..
Vbrakes had no issue adjusting to accommodate the larger diameter wheel.
Very pleased with the ride of the 1.75 gravelkings.
Likes For 4funbikes:
Old 03-07-21, 01:49 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
bought this from a fellow BF member, the bike appears earlier in this thread. 12 mile shake down ride to get it adjusted to me. I see this as a city/gravel trails cruiser and the bike I will ride with my wife to take a bit of a more leisurely pace

Old 05-09-21, 11:09 PM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
Anybody got any Cim forks laying around, by chance? Turns out my steerer is ever so slightly bent. Rides okay, but might lose a tooth or 10 without at least one hand on the bars at all times.

'85/23" frame, fyi.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-21, 11:28 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by th3realmckay
Anybody got any Cim forks laying around, by chance? Turns out my steerer is ever so slightly bent. Rides okay, but might lose a tooth or 10 without at least one hand on the bars at all times.

'85/23" frame, fyi.

Thanks!
This one's a little spendy at $100, but it comes with a free headset. Oh, and a frame. https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...309058142.html
Likes For madpogue:
Old 05-10-21, 01:58 AM
th3realmckay

Thanks! I went ahead and contacted the seller. Doubt they are willing to sell the fork alone, but I took my shot.
Old 05-16-21, 06:54 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Great frame to strip down to bare metal and do something really COOL... even just clear coat it... That would look badass!
Old 06-15-21, 02:24 AM
th3realmckay

Originally Posted by th3realmckay

'85/23" frame, fyi.

Thanks!
Bump!
Old 09-08-21, 01:14 PM
Trinidor

Bikes: 2006 Specilaized Roubaix Pro, 2010 Ridley XBow, 2002 Surly Crosscheck, 2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Help with date of this one

Hey folks, just bagged this score at the local Savers and it's in generally great shape except for a nasty area of scrape/gouging on the frame, just to the left of the front large chain ring. How this happened, who knows? I'm confused about the year of manufacture. I knew nothing about the Cimarron, when I grabbed it, except I knew it was a good bike. It's pretty much full Deore XT, (including hubs) 18 speeds Another thing that has me baffled and might be connected to the frame scrape, is that the two front smaller chainrings are oval and the large is not, and ithe large is a Specialized, which makes me think it might have been replaced. Was the original large ring oval? Any help appreciated.

Likes For Trinidor:
Old 09-08-21, 03:21 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
That chainstay damage is called chain suck. That's just a thing with mountain triples most of the time. Usually happens when a dirty chain won't release from the ring and gets pulled back up into that small gap between the ring and frame.
Old 09-08-21, 05:01 PM
Trinidor

Bikes: 2006 Specilaized Roubaix Pro, 2010 Ridley XBow, 2002 Surly Crosscheck, 2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks folks, any ideas on the big chain ring conundrum. Should it be round or oval., and the year of manufacture. The lettering looks older, but the stem and handlebars look like a newer model. I actually can't find the similar lettering anywhere..
Old 09-09-21, 06:28 AM
Trinidor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, folks, here's my best guess to answer my own questions. This bike has an '85 frame with updated components, either 87 or 88 flat handlebars and less angled, longer stem and the 6 speeds. Also, an '85 had the deer head derailleurs, which this one doesn't. It has the newer XTs. It originally had all Biopace chain rings and the large one was removed and replaced by a round Specialized ring to help with the chain suck problem. What do y'all think about this theory.
Old 09-09-21, 08:29 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I think your assessment is correct. My 1986 has mid-fork mounts for a low-rider rack, which yours does not. I remember reading somewhere that the four digit code on stamped on the head badge is the day the bike was assembled. Though I can't remember for sure how to read it, I believe the last digit is the year. Hence, "1006" would be a bike assembled in 1986.

That large ring is not original. Mine was an all Biopace XT crank with all deer head components. I would say that many of the components on yours have been updated.
Old 09-09-21, 12:56 PM
orloved

Originally Posted by Trinidor
OK, folks, here's my best guess to answer my own questions. This bike has an '85 frame with updated components, either 87 or 88 flat handlebars and less angled, longer stem and the 6 speeds. Also, an '85 had the deer head derailleurs, which this one doesn't. It has the newer XTs. It originally had all Biopace chain rings and the large one was removed and replaced by a round Specialized ring to help with the chain suck problem. What do y'all think about this theory.

I would think this is an '86 or '87 (looks like mine!) but a quick check of the serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket would be an easy tell!
Old 09-09-21, 02:12 PM
Trinidor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Just checked the headbadge and the number is 1447. The under the bottom bracket number is C738189. Can anybody glean the year from these. According to countaimavivva, this would make the frame an '87. Any other ideas, possibly based on the serial number? For your general info, I decided to sand the paint scraped, possibly due to chain suck area and touch it up with a bit of enamel paint. I was at Home Depot, picking up some things, so I though I'd see if I could find a good match. The cool thing was that they will actually mix you a small can sample of any color for like 5 bucks. So, I figured, what the hell, it would be worth it to pick one of about 50 shades of red from 5 different paint companies. But, as luck would have it, nothing seemed even close enough to use, and I was despairing. I had one shot left, a small group of Behr paints called 'Our favorite Reds and Oranges', which I hadn't initially noticed. Bingo, I found one really close, called, of all things, 'Flirt Alert". More like a lipstick shade, right. Just thought I would share that with y'all, for your consideration, in case you are doing touch-up work. I'll send some pics after I do the work.
Old 10-01-21, 06:32 AM
orloved

coming together!

After a somewhat remarkable turn of events including coming to terms with my fork being too chewed up to use and then randomly finding a perfect spare on craigslist (and getting it repainted to match the rest of the fade) the bike frame is all back together! I don't know if I'll end up sticking with flat bar + v-brakes + deore xt shifters and rear derailleur or drop bars + cantis + some old campy 8 speed ergopower shifters and matching mirage medium-cage RD. We'll see if the campy RD can clear a 32t cog at the back or if the drop bars look funny with as much exposed quill stem as I expect. A fun project that should be on the road in a couple weeks!

Likes For orloved:
Old 10-03-21, 02:46 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

After a somewhat remarkable turn of events including coming to terms with my fork being too chewed up to use and then randomly finding a perfect spare on craigslist (and getting it repainted to match the rest of the fade) the bike frame is all back together! I don't know if I'll end up sticking with flat bar + v-brakes + deore xt shifters and rear derailleur or drop bars + cantis + some old campy 8 speed ergopower shifters and matching mirage medium-cage RD. We'll see if the campy RD can clear a 32t cog at the back or if the drop bars look funny with as much exposed quill stem as I expect. A fun project that should be on the road in a couple weeks!

Bold color choices! Love it.

I notice your fork has mounts for a low-rider rack, which I consider to be a big plus for versatility. Mine does as well, but it has two pairs of eyelets on the dropouts while yours has only one pair. I find these small changes in the details interesting across the development of particular bike frames interesting. Why did the designers make these choices from year to year...?
Old 10-04-21, 06:17 AM
orloved

Originally Posted by countalmaviva
Bold color choices! Love it.

I notice your fork has mounts for a low-rider rack, which I consider to be a big plus for versatility. Mine does as well, but it has two pairs of eyelets on the dropouts while yours has only one pair. I find these small changes in the details interesting across the development of particular bike frames interesting. Why did the designers make these choices from year to year...?

This fork is not necessarily from a Cimarron, so it could be from a contemporary ... oh god, lots of bikes. Specialized, Panasonic, Kuwahara I think? all used this same lugged unicrown Tange fork. Wish I knew what bike it came off of, the seller didn't know either!
Old 10-04-21, 08:28 AM
countalmaviva 

This fork is not necessarily from a Cimarron, so it could be from a contemporary ... oh god, lots of bikes. Specialized, Panasonic, Kuwahara I think? all used this same lugged unicrown Tange fork. Wish I knew what bike it came off of, the seller didn't know either!
He he. You just articulated the wonderful part of this hobby..."SO MANY BIKES!"
Old 10-04-21, 03:27 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 396 Posts
I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, the frame looks great!
I do kinda hope the uncomfortable flat bar goes away which ever way you go.
Old 11-07-21, 09:39 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
This showed up on CL about 3 weeks ago. 1985. Sat in the back of a garage for 20 years. Non original parts are limited to the bottom bracket, brake pads, and rear tire. The seatpost is a Suntour XC that I think was supposed to be a Superbe, but I am not sure why they would change that.

Did not pay much for it as it needs a complete tear down, but should be pretty nice when done.

Likes For balindamood:
Old 11-08-21, 08:30 AM
countalmaviva 

Originally Posted by balindamood
This showed up on CL about 3 weeks ago. 1985. Sat in the back of a garage for 20 years. Non original parts are limited to the bottom bracket, brake pads, and rear tire. The seatpost is a Suntour XC that I think was supposed to be a Superbe, but I am not sure why they would change that.

Did not pay much for it as it needs a complete tear down, but should be pretty nice when done.

NICE find! Mine is exactly the same model year and was, if you can believe, totally original (right down to the chain grease). I had a Suntour Superbe seatpost, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.