Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

no sit ups for core?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

no sit ups for core?

Old 02-25-21, 01:39 PM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
It helps engage the glutes and also happens naturally when your legs are very tired / fatigued (instinct to relax the tired calves, the toes starts pointing up). It's not necessarily more efficient, just the body switching to different muscle groups to help save tired muscle groups from injury.

I've read that tour riders probably from Steve Hogg or another pro fitting article lower their saddle height as the tour progresses as they start pointing their heels down (toes up) from fatigue.

You'll notice Marco have down pointing toes pedaling style in his popular Giro video with chain dropping incident. His legs are probably fresh in that video compared to his race with Lance

Absolutely. Using your glutes in a greater degree during the power stroke will more strain on the core muscles.

I found that if the core muscles starts to hurt, simply disengage your glutes and hamstring from the pedal stroke and concentrate only using quads and calves (sitted) and your core muscles will recover.

A predominant quad and calf "driver" will seldom hurt their core even if their core is not very strong. Using the glutes+core with the quads and/or calves will allow you to push down on the pedals with a force higher than your own weight. Quite advantageous in some disciplines like track sprinting.
I tried to do that once for a while pointing the toes down and pulling thru, while I am just an amateur when it comes to riding , the thing I noticed that is that pedal stroke pulls you into the front of your saddle so bad that I couldn't get comfortable with any position. gave it an honest 6 months to try to get it to work
then it took a long time to get out of the habit and get comfortable in the saddle again.
don't know how those guys could do that at that level of out put
Old 02-25-21, 01:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L
I tried to do that once for a while pointing the toes down and pulling thru, while I am just an amateur when it comes to riding , the thing I noticed that is that pedal stroke pulls you into the front of your saddle so bad that I couldn't get comfortable with any position. gave it an honest 6 months to try to get it to work
then it took a long time to get out of the habit and get comfortable in the saddle again.
don't know how those guys could do that at that level of out put
If you want to know how to pedal seated, look at the video in post 25. At least one can aspire to that even if it's at half the watts. For pedaling standing, look at Pantani's form. That's where you're more forward and do pedal toes down, no weight on the bars, in fact pulling up lightly on the downstroke side. Too many people try to support their weight with their hands when standing, instead of pushing down on the pedals. I mean really, way to wimp out. That's how he got legs like that and see how quiet he is, doing that.