Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 03:51 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Ultrasonic Cleaner

I would like advice on a ultrasonic cleaner for home use. My plan is to use to clean small parts like chains an cassettes. What is a good size in terms of liters
Old 01-31-21, 05:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Hint-
Put your chain in a plastic tub of cleaning solution and put the tub in the tank of water.
I use the kind of rectangular flat tubs that deli meat comes in.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 01-31-21, 06:21 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Hint-
Put your chain in a plastic tub of cleaning solution and put the tub in the tank of water.
I use the kind of rectangular flat tubs that deli meat comes in.
You only need an inch or so of water to couple the ultrasonic energy into the tub (or beaker) full of solvent.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-31-21, 07:11 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I have the 2.5 liter one from Harbor Freight. It is absolutely great. For best results I add Simple Green and put the heating of the water on. When I have larger items, such as a crankset or household baking pan, I dip a half and clean it, then turn it around and do the other.

I was hesitant about getting such a cleaner, but I had a coupon for Harbor Freight and it took me over the hump. Now it is an essential everyday tool. If I have any bolts coming off anything they go into the cleaner without any second thoughts. As an extra piece of info, in my workplace people use such cleaners routinely in their shop and, for high class stuff, they fill the cleaners with alcohol, presumably without heating .
Old 01-31-21, 07:12 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You only need an inch or so of water to couple the ultrasonic energy into the tub (or beaker) full of solvent.
For the ultrasonic cleaners that I have used, the instructions stated clearly that the unit should be filled to a specified level (which was fairly close to the top of the tank).

If parts were being washed in cleaning solution within other vessels (e.g., glass beakers), then those vessels were suspended within the tank; nothing resting on the bottom of the tank.
Old 01-31-21, 08:24 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by John Valuk
For the ultrasonic cleaners that I have used, the instructions stated clearly that the unit should be filled to a specified level (which was fairly close to the top of the tank).

If parts were being washed in cleaning solution within other vessels (e.g., glass beakers), then those vessels were suspended within the tank; nothing resting on the bottom of the tank.
I use tall "snap top" plastic cylinders (1/2 oz. size commonly found in 36? states) and rest them on the bottom and they work fine for small parts. Handy to pull out & shake to redistribute the parts. A different container/solution for eyeglasses etc.
Different sizes/shapes to fit the job.
Whatever container used, you do want the water level to the fill mark.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 01-31-21 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 08:24 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I ended up ordering one off of EBAY.
Old 01-31-21, 08:33 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
As a commercial goldsmith,I have used ultrasonics for 35 years. I would caution against running an ultrasonic with only an inch or two of water- the transducers that create the ultrasonic waves can delaminate from the bottom of the tank. the transducers are engineered to operate with adequate “cushioning” and heat dissipation with the fluid at the intended level. An inner container holding the cleaning solution will dampen the sonic waves, but will allow for different solutions to be used in a single bath. The cleaning time will be greatly affected. The proper cleaning solution is key, as well. A degreaser, with a detergent will clean best. Try Top Job as an all purpose cleaner, it has both the degreaser and detergent , along with a wetting agent or surfactant to leave a clean surface. Different cleaners can alter the finish on alloy parts, particularly if heated. Simple Green will discolor some polished alloy parts- when in doubt, run it with cold or only Luke warm Simple Green solution. Be warned. The cleaning cycle on most Ultrasonics is only a fraction of the needed time to clean most things. I used to clean my chain from a bike used for commuting, it took at least an hour to clean, sometimes a lot more. Any container you use to hold a part will dampen the effect of the sonic waves. Suspending the part on a rubber covered hook in the middle of the tank oriented above one or centered between the two transducers works best. Sieves are best for items like chains. If the part is a rare vintage one, only have it ina nylon sieve or expect the surface to be dulled by vibrating against a metal sieve.
led

Last edited by elcraft; 01-31-21 at 08:37 PM.
Likes For elcraft:
Old 01-31-21, 08:43 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
As a commercial goldsmith,I have used ultrasonics for 35 years. I would caution against running an ultrasonic with only an inch or two of water- the transducers that create the ultrasonic waves can delaminate from the bottom of the tank. the transducers are engineered to operate with adequate “cushioning” and heat dissipation with the fluid at the intended level. An inner container holding the cleaning solution will dampen the sonic waves, but will allow for different solutions to be used in a single bath. The cleaning time will be greatly affected. The proper cleaning solution is key, as well. A degreaser, with a detergent will clean best. Try Top Job as an all purpose cleaner, it has both the degreaser and detergent , along with a wetting agent or surfactant to leave a clean surface. Different cleaners can alter the finish on alloy parts, particularly if heated. Simple Green will discolor some polished alloy parts- when in doubt, run it with cold or only Luke warm Simple Green solution. Be warned. The cleaning cycle on most Ultrasonics is only a fraction of the needed time to clean most things. I used to clean my chain from a bike used for commuting, it took at least an hour to clean, sometimes a lot more. Any container you use to hold a part will dampen the effect of the sonic waves. Suspending the part on a rubber covered hook in the middle of the tank oriented above one or centered between the two transducers works best. Sieves are best for items like chains. If the part is a rare vintage one, only have it ina nylon sieve or expect the surface to be dulled by vibrating against a metal sieve.
led
Yes to much of the above. I fill the tank with water, put solvent/cleaner in a ziplock with the part, and suspend the bag from a bit of wood spanning the top.If the part(s) need(s) it, I'll suspend them in a mesh bag made from glass-fibre window screening, inside the ziplock - they crud falls to the bottom of the bag and the part is above it. Don't let the part or bag touch the bottom. If you can get a big unit, and one with a heater.
Old 01-31-21, 08:54 PM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i dont think and ultrasonic cleaner is made for chains and cassettes , you will get a cleaner part for a cheaper price just using some glass jars and some gasoline , or white clear oil , like WD or even lamp oil , save your self the time and money and just invest in glass containers, BUT if you can prove an ultrasonic cleaner will be more cost effective than just a 3 dollar gallon of gas or 4 dollar liter of lamp oil , keep in mind the much that will come off a chain will most likely ruin your cleaner !
Old 01-31-21, 09:09 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Your cleaner will do chains and cassettes and make you smile. Make sure a crankset fits if you are like me.
Old 01-31-21, 09:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toespeas
i dont think and ultrasonic cleaner is made for chains and cassettes , you will get a cleaner part for a cheaper price just using some glass jars and some gasoline , or white clear oil , like WD or even lamp oil , save your self the time and money and just invest in glass containers, BUT if you can prove an ultrasonic cleaner will be more cost effective than just a 3 dollar gallon of gas or 4 dollar liter of lamp oil , keep in mind the much that will come off a chain will most likely ruin your cleaner !
Double stupid!
Glass jar.
Volatile solvents.
Old 02-01-21, 02:31 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Double stupid!
Glass jar.
Volatile solvents.
Shucks, there goes my whisky habit....

For cleaning I prefer to conduct things in the open air, and reusing old glass bottles is good, often better than buying newly manufactured items that then consume space and electricity. I cannot remember when I last used gasoline, but a little bit of paraffin is nice.