Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Speedplay Light Action Bearing Kit- help please!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-21, 03:36 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts

Since Wahoo has, in their infinite wisdom, also decided to kill off the Light Actions, I can't find the rebuild kits. Do you guys know if:

The Light Action and Zero kits are the same? (I think so)
Where I can find quality bearings (not the eBay Chinese ones for $7) - I may need bearing #s, I guess

I wonder what Wahoo even bought Speedplay. So worthless. They also discontinued the Frogs (my fav MTB pedals) and Syzr.
Old 02-13-21, 06:56 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I was a big Speedplay Frog fan and rode with them for many years and probably 100,000 miles. However the spotty availability and ever increasing prices finally converted me to Shimano SPDs. I was a bit intrigued by the Syzr design but I don't think those ever went into production. Looking at Speedplay's current website it appears they have reduced the product line down to minor variations on the Zeros and have dropped everything else. I wonder how much longer they will be in business.
Old 02-13-21, 07:03 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Speedplay sold to Wahoo a year or two ago, so it is Wahoo doing all this crap. Very annoying...annoying enough for me to think about selling my Wahoo Kickr and getting a Tacx and never use a Wahoo product again. I have several road/gravel/MTB bikes that use Frogs and Light Actions...7 in all.
Old 02-13-21, 10:26 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by Chandne
Speedplay sold to Wahoo a year or two ago, so it is Wahoo doing all this crap. Very annoying...annoying enough for me to think about selling my Wahoo Kickr and getting a Tacx and never use a Wahoo product again. I have several road/gravel/MTB bikes that use Frogs and Light Actions...7 in all.
I'm aware of the Wahoo buy-out but, since companies don't usually drop profitable products, I wonder how well those discontinued pedals were selling. Perhaps Wahoo just did a needed house cleaning.

As I mentioned, I was a bit interested in the Syzr pedals but AFAIK, they weren't discontinued, they never got into production. I got tired of waiting for what turned out to be vaporware and that was on the original owner's watch.
Old 02-13-21, 10:43 PM
Chandne

The SYZR was in production for several years. You can find used examples on eBay and other places. Yeah, I wonder how well these pedals were selling but I think they were. I know lots of riders on Frogs and Light Actions. Maybe they were not selling as well as Zeros. Maybe Wahoo has some power options coming out...had to tell.
Old 02-14-21, 06:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Even with the pedals they've consolidated down to, such as the Zero, there now seemingly aren't any of the spindle length options there used to be (eg. +1/8", +1/4" etc). One of the selling points of Speedplays also used to be it's fitter-friendliness. They also used to have a pedal shim kit which has vanished.

Mind you, you can find 3rd party variations on spindles and shims out there, but that's a departure from the fitter-based packaged solution that previously existed.
Old 02-14-21, 08:35 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
BUMMER I have 3 sets of Frogs and now a brief search for (even before Wahoo, $$$) cleats shows no options.
Guess when the small number of cleats I have left wear out the pedals get chunked. Probably get shimano dual
side spds. Their cleats are still reasonably priced.
Old 02-14-21, 08:55 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
I wonder if the copy/counterfeit market will open up with Speedplay cleats and spares. I guess it will depend on Wahoo's diligence with protecting their products as Speedplay did. I have two sets of X pedals and will be bummed if I can't get new cleats. If I can't get them from Wahoo then I will buy them from someone else.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 02-14-21 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-14-21, 09:01 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Chandne
The SYZR was in production for several years. You can find used examples on eBay and other places. Yeah, I wonder how well these pedals were selling but I think they were. I know lots of riders on Frogs and Light Actions. Maybe they were not selling as well as Zeros. Maybe Wahoo has some power options coming out...had to tell.
I didn't know the Syzr ever got into production. I remember seeing the "coming soon" announcements on Speedplay's website but "soon" seemed to go on forever and I stopped checking. As I mentioned, I rode Frogs for years but the increasing cost of the pedals and cleats finally was too much.

BTW, the Frogs were sold as MTB pedals but they were very poor for that as mud and ice/snow would pack the cleats and prevent clipping in way too easily. I used them only on road bikes and even then keeping the cleats usable in wet or snowy weather was always a struggle. My SPD XT-pedals never jam, cost less, last at least as long and the weight penalty is minor.