Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What Is This Sound?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What Is This Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 02:53 AM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What Is This Sound?

I recorded this with my phone by holding it near the rear hub. The sound just started today. I thought it was brakes, but I ruled them out by loosening them a lot, so there was no way brakes were making this noise. The free hub has some gravelly bearings. LBS told me it is ridable. They also said the hub felt slightly tight. The sound is intermittent. When it happens, I am coasting, but it does not happen every time I coast. I tried loading the sound to this thread as an attachment, but .mp3 file was not allowed. You can hear the sound at this link:

https://legacy-systems.biz/longview2...xnix/harsh.mp3

On a related tangent, a persistent problem I have working on the bike is it seems some things happen only when the drive train is under load. This noise is an example. I have the wheel out of the bike, and there is no sound being made.

The bike is a 2009 Trek Madone WSD. Wheels are Bontrager Race Lite, with the freehub that came with the bike.
Old 02-21-21, 05:06 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Well if it only does it when you freewheel it's likely the freehub. Spray some oil in there and see what happens. Like the lbs says it's rideable but it won't stay that way.
Old 02-21-21, 07:58 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
I recorded this with my phone by holding it near the rear hub. The sound just started today. I thought it was brakes, but I ruled them out by loosening them a lot, so there was no way brakes were making this noise. The free hub has some gravelly bearings. LBS told me it is ridable. They also said the hub felt slightly tight. The sound is intermittent. When it happens, I am coasting, but it does not happen every time I coast. I tried loading the sound to this thread as an attachment, but .mp3 file was not allowed. You can hear the sound at this link:

https://legacy-systems.biz/longview2...xnix/harsh.mp3

On a related tangent, a persistent problem I have working on the bike is it seems some things happen only when the drive train is under load. This noise is an example. I have the wheel out of the bike, and there is no sound being made.

The bike is a 2009 Trek Madone WSD. Wheels are Bontrager Race Lite, with the freehub that came with the bike.
It sounds like a tire rubbing against a frame member or fender, check the alignment of the wheel in the dropouts and fender.

Old 02-21-21, 11:08 AM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
Well if it only does it when you freewheel it's likely the freehub. Spray some oil in there and see what happens. Like the lbs says it's rideable but it won't stay that way.
That is exactly my reasoning.
Old 03-06-21, 03:45 AM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know what that sound was. I removed the wheel, found nothing wrong, reinstalled, the problem has not come back. Maybe the wheel was crooked or loose, I really don't know.

It remains a puzzler
Likes For danallen:
Old 03-06-21, 06:18 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
sounds like a scared little man with a kazoo
Likes For Soody:
Old 03-06-21, 08:35 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Perhaps a murder hornet was chasing you.