Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

[Brompton] Making sense of gear/brake cables and housing

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 07:14 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

On a Brompton, there are so many options when remplacing a cable and housing, depending on the year of production, brake/gear, number of speeds

Is there a decision tree somewhere to find the right article in a jiffy?

Can I use non-Brompton cables and housing?

Thank you.
--
Edit: So, apparently…
  • Year of production (pre 2004 (Short Wwheel-base Bikes - 1015mm between wheel centre), Pre 2017, current a.k.a. Integrated shifter)
  • Stem (M/H/S/P)
  • Number of speeds (2/6, 3)
  • Gear hub: SRAM, Sturmey-Archer (3 speeds = BSR; 6 speeds = BWR)
  • Brake: Front/rear
  • Brakes levers: Regular (UK)/reversed (Rest of the world?);

Last edited by Winfried; 02-22-21 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-22-21, 09:30 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Can I use non-Brompton cables and housing?
While all cables and housing are non-Brompton now on my bike, the swapping involved different hiccups and, overall, I would not recommend the swapping just for the heck of it. I remember shift cable issues more vividly, just because I worked far more around drivetrain than brakes. Thus, the Brompton cable stops were different from standard. The standard ones needed to be filed down to the Brompton size. The Brompton cable ferrules are more narrow than any that can be normally found in the market. When I was still using the ferrules, I needed to reuse the Brompton original ones. The Brompton cable anchorage for underbar shifters was a nightmare to set up if you did not have the cable length exactly right. I ended up developing a workaround so I could ban that anchorage from the bike entirely. I.e., if you go down the non-standard route you may end up needing to solve more problems than at the outset.
Old 02-22-21, 09:32 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for the infos. I vaguely remember having struggled myself when trying to use standard gear.