Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Can somebody please explain gravel riding to me?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Can somebody please explain gravel riding to me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 02:23 PM
leadholder

Bikes: Ritchey Road, 72 Windsor Pro, 94 Bridgestone MB1, 98 Kona Explosif, bunch of old Schwinns.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"Technique beats technology. Any bike, anywhere. Cast off artificial limitations, learn to ride any bike anywhere, and your riding world will become bigger and more diverse every time you go out. Then, at least, you'll be limited by your own abilities, not by the artificial restraints imposed upon you by the bike industry vocabulary." Chris Kostman
Likes For leadholder:
Old 03-03-21, 03:53 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
The gravel bike is a true "Swiss Army Knife" for cycling. One day I can be out with my roadie friends, keeping up with them on cushy tubeless 38c's, and the next I'll be bombing a dirt trail and passing up full squish MTB's on climbs where they clearly brought a gun to a knife fight. Gravel her in So. CA ranges from dirt singletrack to DG crusted horse trails. The beauty of the gravel bike is that it allows leave my garage, ride the paved roads for a few miles to the wonderful trails along the river. Once there, I"m free of traffic, other riders, and most people!

That gravel looks really comfy.
Likes For franswa:
Old 03-03-21, 06:20 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
That gravel looks really comfy.
It is! We call it "YouTube Gravel", smooth as tarmac and near perfect after a rain that results in dust free conditions. That's our Decomposed Granite trail that runs along the river. Only 3.5 miles long, but it connects me to lots of other dirt trails down in the riverbed.
Old 03-03-21, 10:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by sammymann
I quote my father, who made it clear that science trumps god! "Gravel is god's way of punishing you for stealing". I couldn't challenge him at that moment. Being 9 years old and getting punched in the mouth would have just aggravated the 40 missing layers of skin on my leg from being forced off the road into an eventual gravel slide.
What did you steal? Was the bike your get away vehicle?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-03-21, 11:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by leadholder
"Technique beats technology. Any bike, anywhere. Cast off artificial limitations, learn to ride any bike anywhere, and your riding world will become bigger and more diverse every time you go out. Then, at least, you'll be limited by your own abilities, not by the artificial restraints imposed upon you by the bike industry vocabulary." Chris Kostman

Don't know who he is, but its an interesting idea. Reality is that 99% of us have limitations in strength, or balance, or endurance, or risk, etc to learn to ride any bike anywhere better than purpose designed bikes ridden for their purpose.

I dont know why I would learn to ride a Walmart princess bike on downhill MTB tracks in Snowmass.
I dobt know why I would learn to ride a full suspension enduro bike on 50mi road rides.

I guess I could learn technique to get the most out of those bikes, or I could have fun in my limited time and just use the bike that best designed for the job.

I will always be limited by my own abilities, regardless of what bile I choose for a given type of riding.
Old 03-04-21, 04:06 PM
sammymann

Bikes: Palomar GT, JAMIS Alegro 1,Retrospect FoldUp, Cyclepro Rendezvous

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I am so confused. are you saying your dad punched you in the mouth when you were nine?
Being confused is ok. Nope that's not what I am saying. I don't want to ad more confusion so I will leave it at that.
Old 03-04-21, 04:09 PM
sammymann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stole a hand held air horn. The ones you attach to a air canister. My dad made me go back to the store and admit my thievery and return the item. Which I did, in bandages from my gravel introduction. No my bike was not my getaway vehicle.
Old 03-05-21, 09:16 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Obviously I've never done it, or even seen it. It sounds like riding on gravel is only slightly safer than riding on marbles. I assume you use around 3 inch bombproof tires, but it would seem to me the tires/bike would still take a beating. And you do it for ... fun?
For me it is mostly riding on crushed stone paths. We have a lot of miles of them around here. Road bike doesn’t really like them. I just have 30mm cross tires. Lots of nice scenic rides.
Old 03-05-21, 04:19 PM
sammymann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
What did you steal? Was the bike your get away vehicle?
I stole a hand held air horn. The ones you attach to a air canister. My dad made me go back to the store and admit my thievery and return the item. Which I did, in bandages from my gravel introduction. No my bike was not my getaway vehicle.