Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 04:40 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I ride alone. Or with my wife when she's in the mood.
Old 03-03-21, 04:43 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
I ride alone. Or with my wife when she's in the mood.
Oh, I hear ya there.

Wait - what are we talking about, again?
Old 03-03-21, 06:06 PM
roadwarrior16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Solo for weekday rides so I can be on my own schedule and enjoy the views along the way.
I like to get a group ride in on the weekends, but prefer those to be more casual versus trying to hit a certain km / time. Enjoy the ride, not rush to finish.
Old 03-03-21, 06:38 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
I prefer group rides when possible, especially longer rides. In a group the miles pass more quickly, and if I am in an easy group, it's a good place to meet people and chat. If I want to ride hard, I will get much better workout in a competitive group ride.

For long tours I prefer going solo. This is because I can ride at my own pace, I choose when and where to stop, and where to spend the night. On the other hand, it can be safer to ride with others, especially in places were help can be hard to find in an emergency.
Old 03-03-21, 07:16 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Solo. I initially interpreted groups as in bike shop or club rides, but seem others have included event type group rides. I've never done bike shop or club rides. I've done 1 charity, and a few seasons of large group rides that many use for training charity rides and centuries. I just found some of the routes to be an interesting deviation from my usual rides, but each year most of the rides were duplicated so the novelty wore off. There's a midnight ramble here that I've done several years with my kids. Outside that from childhood to 50s cycling has first and foremost been about quiet solitude. I don't even consider it exercise, any health benefits I get are a side effect of doing the thing I most enjoy doing.
Old 03-03-21, 08:11 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
I prefer solo, or a very small group of friends.

I prefer to ride solo for a variety of reasons:
  1. I pick my route from my home and ride at my pace.
  2. I don't hold people up for punctures or mechanicals.
  3. I generally don't trust the skills of unknown club group members.
  4. It's my time to decompress with my own thoughts.
My personality leans towards introverted and most of my outdoor pursuits are done solo, such as backpacking.

That said, I do very much enjoy riding with close friends - I'm talking 2-3 people tops. We usually ride the same routes, I trust their skills when in close contact, and it's a good time for socializing and pausing at a favorite bakery.
Old 03-03-21, 09:02 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
When I ride alone, I prefer to be by myself.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-03-21, 09:03 PM
Kevintobgi5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Group ride because of the team aspect!
Likes For Kevintobgi5:
Old 03-03-21, 10:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I find that a group ride is a good opportunity to teach fellow riders who may not be familiar with group riding dynamics the proper way to rotate through. Of course sometimes it’s necessary to yell.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-04-21, 03:23 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Solo. I can choose the route, start from home, choose my tempo, my breaks and most importantly my effort. I do have a couple of guys that I ride with in the summer around the lake but that would be once a week so compared to my solo rides a low proportion.
Old 03-04-21, 04:06 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
sartre was right...hell is other people. 92.3% solo. 7.7% of the time, really nice people are subjected to me.
Old 03-04-21, 06:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Team aspects? I've found to be the exact opposite of that in groups/clubs. Well in my case, I will take the front for 10 miles then hope the others will step up to help. Instead, the next in line will lift the pace and sprint away. The next person can not close the gap so I have to get back in and close the gap or just stay at the front longer instead of getting a break. Then the guy fades after 1/2 mile, run him down then he jumps back in line.

I did a ride with a mix of 3 groups couple months back. Out of 25 riders, they all did the same thing other than 2 of the riders. I have to say I ended up at the front for about 2/3 of the 60 mile ride while the others tried to display their 'strength" and ended up looking more like fools sprinting and fading.

I've ridden with 3 other different groups as a guest rider and I'll be darned if the same thing didn't happen every time. Always seems to be 2 or 3 good guys and the rest are total wheelsuckers.

I have better luck with a small group of 3 guys and a plan to ride together.
If you're the only common denominator in all of these instances, a little introspection might be in order.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-04-21, 10:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
60% of my miles are solo.
40% of my miles are with my family or some teens I work with.

Both types of riding are fun, even though they are vastly different.
Old 03-04-21, 11:29 AM
WhyFi

Nope. I have a lot of riders asking to ride with me because I'm controlled and smooth while keeping a good pace. Actually have a little group of riders that are regulars. But we all know how to ride together. The problem is that there are a ton of riders that are total wheel suckers and will not help at the front always looking for a free ride so that they can "WIN" the race on the group ride that is not there. Pretty hilarious imo.

On one of my last group rides, there were 3 groups and so many dopes that kept thinking they were going to win. So they would suck wheel for 5 miles then try to sprint around showing how strong they were. How about helping out instead. 4 guys kept doing it and then fading. The people behind me were actually getting a little bothered by it asking why they don't help instead and what reason they had for that type of behavior. So it is not only me that notices the foolishness.
I'm not talking about your skill or capability, I'm talking about your attitude. Between the tone of your writing and your username, you come off as a wee bit arrogant. Maybe that translates IRL, too. If someone shows up on my group ride and they give off the smell of one that thinks they're hot **** and they jump to the front to dictate the pace, I'll be happy to let them blow themselves up, too.

Last edited by WhyFi; 03-04-21 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 11:34 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
Nope. I have a lot of riders asking to ride with me because I'm controlled and smooth while keeping a good pace. Actually have a little group of riders that are regulars. But we all know how to ride together. The problem is that there are a ton of riders that are total wheel suckers and will not help at the front always looking for a free ride so that they can "WIN" the race on the group ride that is not there. Pretty hilarious imo.

On one of my last group rides, there were 3 groups and so many dopes that kept thinking they were going to win. So they would suck wheel for 5 miles then try to sprint around showing how strong they were. How about helping out instead. 4 guys kept doing it and then fading. The people behind me were actually getting a little bothered by it asking why they don't help instead and what reason they had for that type of behavior. So it is not only me that notices the foolishness.

And remember, I am talking group/club rides.....NOT race or race training rides. If it's a race or even a race training ride, I understand the behavior and strategy.
I've seen that more times than I can remember, and it always reminds me of the "young bull, old bull" story

One of the signs of a high-quality group rider is understanding the dynamic of the group and how to measure their effort at the front appropriately. I don't mind if a weaker rider needs to sit in, or take a shorter pull, in order to stay with the group. As long as they aren't disrupting the flow, it's all good with me.
Old 03-04-21, 11:42 AM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts

And remember, I am talking group/club rides.....NOT race or race training rides. If it's a race or even a race training ride, I understand the behavior and strategy.
Interesting. Maybe your group rides are different from mine. I have always understood that an individual rider shouldn't pull at the front for long--2 or 3 minutes tops, or even only a couple of seconds in a true rotating paceline. If you are pulling at the front for 10 minutes, some people might be wondering why you don't move left and drift back and let others pull. That might account for the people blowing by you. Perhaps a discussion at the start that clarifies length of pulls might help. If you want others to work, just drift back and let them work. If people are too tired to pull, when they get to the front they should immediately move left and drift back. I agree about people who suddenly attach and accelerate and blow up the group. Smooth and steady is best for a nice paceline.

David
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 03-04-21, 11:46 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by David in Maine
Interesting. Maybe your group rides are different from mine. I have always understood that an individual rider shouldn't pull at the front for long--2 or 3 minutes tops, or even only a couple of seconds in a true rotating paceline.
David
Bingo.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-04-21, 11:50 AM
WhyFi

Wow! You know what they say about assuming. I ride with the group and help others stay together so that we all do well rather than sprint off to inflate my ego. Just so happens that I used the username as I signed on and the song was playing on youtube when I joined. But thanks for making a big deal about it. Seems to me you seem a bit insecure about yourself that you have to bring up these types of arrogance issues you pretend to see in others. I'm guessing you're one of the wheelsuckers who won't help till the final sprint.
Some people sprint to inflate their egos and others take "hero pulls" for the same reason.

And no, I don't have any insecurities w/r/t to my riding strengths and weaknesses, but thanks for participating.
Old 03-04-21, 11:57 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
You guys are confirming why so many people prefer to ride solo
Old 03-04-21, 11:59 AM
WhyFi

So the guy who takes the front to help out the group so you can sprint around is a hero?
For 10 friggin' miles? Uh, yeah - 100%
Old 03-04-21, 12:01 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Silly question, as it isn't my world............how exactly is the audax world related to pacelines or rotations? I thought audax and randonneuring were often days done without seeing a soul?
Based on my knowledge of it, Audax and Randonnuering can be two different styles of rides. It's beem explained to me that Audax events are where riders ride as a group. Randonnuering is group or self paced, just as long as you hit control points in the given times. Wikipedia has more:

"Euraudax (original form of audax)
Participants in the original form of audax ride in a group, at a steady pace set by a road captain. The group aims to cycle at 22.5 km/h between stops. The route is planned with designated stopping points. In longer audax events the group may ride between 16 and 20 hours in a day before stopping at a designated sleeping location. The goal of the audax is for all group members to finish within the time limit. A support vehicle is allowed to follow each group of riders.

Randonneuring
Randonneuring is similar to the original Audax style in that riders attempt to complete long-distance cycling events. However, instead of riding together in a group, participants are free to cycle at their own pace (French: allure libre), stop or sleep wherever they want and form groups randomly, provided they stay within the time limit.

In some countries (e.g. USA), a clear distinction is drawn between 'Audax' and 'Randonneuring'. In others, such as Australia and Great Britain, the original Audax style is relatively unknown, and 'Audax' and 'Randonneuring' are used interchangeably"

I'm looking forward to our Randonnuering season this year. I truly enjoy our 200k rides, be it alone or with a group. But when alone, I appreciate the beauty and solitude of it.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 03-04-21, 12:06 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
If fun is my mission, then my preference is a group ride, and with leader speeds slightly above mine, where constantly chasing a wheel and trying to not get dropped is "fun". Getting dropped by people you know and ride with weekly is incredible motivation to eat, drink, and train as best as I can so my weight and fitness improves incrementally each week, thereby reducing the frequency that I get dropped. In these times of "forced" solo riding, that motivation just isn't there for me, and my discipline and fitness has suffered as a result.

If a calm/meditative/recovery tempo ride, or the exact opposite which is a fitness improving HIIT, is the mission, then solo is usually where it's at, unless you find a small group that does HIIT or Strava segment chasing.

Group rides are also good for sharing bike repair resources and mech. experience, for oddball things that come up.
Old 03-04-21, 12:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
You guys are confirming why so many people prefer to ride solo
And, why some people should ride solo.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-04-21, 12:24 PM
WhyFi

Well thank you then for considering me a hero though I have never thought of it that way.
No, no, no - the myopia is kicking in again. Hero pullers are heroes only in their own minds. People that pull for 10 miles "for the good of the group," are doing no such favors for the group. It's usually quite the opposite.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-04-21, 12:43 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Some people sprint to inflate their egos and others take "hero pulls" for the same reason.

And no, I don't have any insecurities w/r/t to my riding strengths and weaknesses, but thanks for participating.
We've got guys around here (maybe gals too) that'll take the "hero pull" not to be a hero, but to control the pace. They get on front then ease up anytime there's an uphill. If you ease up on front in the flat or downhill, that won't work. But uphill folks might notice less. Since your draft advantage goes away a lot uphill, they might save more by controlling the front than suffering hanging on as some high w/kg skinny dude rolls over the hill.

I would say do equal rotation on the flats or downhill. If you know a hill is coming up, the bigger boys skip a pull and rest a bit more. Then at the base, bigger boys control pace over the hill. Smaller boys then rest a hair from the extra pulls the bigger boys put them through, bigger boys work a bit up the hill without worry of a drop.

I've started to like rotations better for a workout, I feel about 8 people is perfect. I get bored and almost sleepy sitting in a larger group waiting up to 10min to do a 30 second pull. A rotation actually isn't as efficient, but in a race or workout it forces equal distribution of time. Notice that team time trials they don't rotate constantly, they take pulls based on who the rider is (GC, time triallist, sprinter, etc....).
Likes For burnthesheep:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.