Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Toe Go pedals: a sign that the FUTURE is here!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Toe Go pedals: a sign that the FUTURE is here!

Old 03-05-21, 01:38 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Thats great! Now I dont have to remove my shoe to peel a banana.
Old 03-05-21, 01:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Designed by an Orthopedic Surgeon and a Plastic Surgeon who wanted a new <boat | Porsche | Vacation House >
It's funny you say that. A very large ortho practice here in Philly sponsors an outdoor ice skating every year. I jokingly asked a therapist there is they are trying to create new business.
Old 03-05-21, 02:38 PM
roadwarrior16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I'll get some for my beach cruiser...
That's the practical application I was thinking of. But after that....i dont know.
Old 03-06-21, 09:05 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I can think of a hundred reasons to say no.
Old 03-06-21, 10:27 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring

Old 03-06-21, 11:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Nice!

A pedal that does not work with clip-less OR regular shoes.
Old 03-06-21, 05:21 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
The red ones are the fastest
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-06-21, 10:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I remember when it became insistently fashionable to run without shoes because it was so natural. Of course there is naturally a lot of broken glass everywhere, as my flat bicycle tires will attest, and this fad soon faded. Of course there was the incredibly thin rubber shoes with individual toes one could buy but thorns, sharp stones and broken glass took care of that fad. I cringed while thinking of the toe and foot mayhem that could happen without proper shoes on for riding around town. Of course I've been wrong a couple of times in my life and maybe I should pull my retirement savings and invest in this new pedal/foot technology..
Vibram still makes five fingers and I still have all my pairs. Hiked in them, walked in the city with them, no issues with broken glass or thorns that I wouldn't also have in my regular running shoes (Brooks and Altra). Vibram has been making outsoles for a long long time so no reason to believe they are low quality and just let in glass easily. I stopped wearing them as often because my employer asked I stop wearing them in the shop and also standing all day on tile and concrete floors was not great for my feet at the end of the day so I didn't fight back hard on them. I enjoy walking and hiking and occasionally running in them but standing all day not as good.

I will admit riding in them was not as fun but I like a good stiff sole for that so even normal running shoes aren't great.

Going totally naked in the city is not so good I can agree there but wearing Five Fingers not so bad.
Old 03-06-21, 11:22 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I remember when it became insistently fashionable to run without shoes because it was so natural. Of course there is naturally a lot of broken glass everywhere, as my flat bicycle tires will attest, and this fad soon faded. Of course there was the incredibly thin rubber shoes with individual toes one could buy but thorns, sharp stones and broken glass took care of that fad. I cringed while thinking of the toe and foot mayhem that could happen without proper shoes on for riding around town. Of course I've been wrong a couple of times in my life and maybe I should pull my retirement savings and invest in this new pedal/foot technology..
Nah, many still do it. It is more of a training tool for most though. You truly learn to run with a proper, natural stride when barefoot, helping prevent injury. For those I know who do it often, and not just for a training method, don't worry too much about glass. Their feet are tougher than most tires.
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-06-21, 11:33 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Vibram still makes five fingers and I still have all my pairs. Hiked in them, walked in the city with them, no issues with broken glass or thorns that I wouldn't also have in my regular running shoes (Brooks and Altra). Vibram has been making outsoles for a long long time so no reason to believe they are low quality and just let in glass easily. I stopped wearing them as often because my employer asked I stop wearing them in the shop and also standing all day on tile and concrete floors was not great for my feet at the end of the day so I didn't fight back hard on them. I enjoy walking and hiking and occasionally running in them but standing all day not as good.

I will admit riding in them was not as fun but I like a good stiff sole for that so even normal running shoes aren't great.

Going totally naked in the city is not so good I can agree there but wearing Five Fingers not so bad.
I have been wearing a pair of Soft Star Shoes for years. I had a pair of black ones. They are leather, with a 5mm Vibram sole. That's it. The have thinner soles available as well. They have zero arch, zero support, and zero padding. The toe box is large so your toes are free. It is a very barefoot feeling. They can be rolled up. They are very flexible, more so than the Five Fingers I have. I could wear those where I couldn't wear the Vibram Five Fingers. They are much more comfortable as well, nothing crammed between your toes. On a side note, I had to modify the Five Fingers, to join the two middle toes, since mine are webbed. It worked though. I much prefer the Soft Star Shoes though.

I need a new pair now, my cat decided to pee on the floor in the entry way one day, and got the shoes too. I have cleaned them multiple times. I wore them for seven years though. I definitely got my money's worth.
https://www.softstarshoes.com/

Old 03-06-21, 11:38 PM
phughes

I have been wearing a pair of Soft Star Shoes for years. I had a pair of black ones. They are leather, with a 5mm Vibram sole. That's it. The have thinner soles available as well. They have zero arch, zero support, and zero padding. The toe box is large so your toes are free. It is a very barefoot feeling. They can be rolled up. They are very flexible, more so than the Five Fingers I have. I could wear those where I couldn't wear the Vibram Five Fingers. They are much more comfortable as well, nothing crammed between your toes. On a side note, I had to modify the Five Fingers, to join the two middle toes, since mine are webbed. It worked though. I much prefer the Soft Star Shoes though.

I need a new pair now, my cat decided to pee on the floor in the entry way one day, and got the shoes too. I have cleaned them multiple times. I wore them for seven years though. I definitely got my money's worth.

They also have a lightweight Quick Dry version that is vegan.

Old 03-06-21, 11:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes

You must have glass feet by now. I mean it is probably like a cave with stalactites all the glass that is embedded in them from wearing those. Just pure glass going straight through your fad shoes.

Minus the skins those shoes look decent. Cat pee is never fun. Luckily my cat never got my shoes but did get carpets in her old age and certainly the laminate floors.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-06-21, 11:48 PM
phughes

You must have glass feet by now. I mean it is probably like a cave with stalactites all the glass that is embedded in them from wearing those. Just pure glass going straight through your fad shoes.

Minus the skins those shoes look decent. Cat pee is never fun. Luckily my cat never got my shoes but did get carpets in her old age and certainly the laminate floors.

Yeah, these look decent. I loved them for travel. They pack very easily. They take up very little room. The heel goes flat so you can stuff them anywhere flat, or simply roll them up.
Here is their new vegan quick dry version.

Likes For phughes:
Old 03-07-21, 07:07 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Nothing new.
Old 03-08-21, 12:56 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Not for me! Sorry!
Old 03-10-21, 01:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Originally Posted by woodcraft
By happenstance I came across this thread while my wife was making fun of my toes. I have fat short toes that are crammed together like Vienna sausages. Hers are long and defined, like a monkey ballerina. I’m sure there will be different sizes

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-10-21 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-10-21, 07:36 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Wonder how these will affect bike fit?
Old 03-10-21, 09:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If not an April fools joke, they are kind of impractical, since on a ride if you want to stop and go into a cafe or some shop, they usually have rules against bare feet.
Old 03-10-21, 12:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If not an April fools joke, they are kind of impractical, since on a ride if you want to stop and go into a cafe or some shop, they usually have rules against bare feet.
He is also selling a shoe rack with that.