Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crank Bros Double Shot reviews

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-04-21, 04:27 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts

I've been shopping Crank Bros Double Shot pedals for a while ... We're thinking about these for our new Co Motion Java and wanna know if you've ridden then and your thoughts. My #1 question is how easy is it to get the right side up without looking down? I had some Shimano pedals like this 15 years ago and was always fighting to find the right side to match the shoes of the day.
Old 03-05-21, 08:44 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

BTW - I'm a big fan of Crank Bros and have many pedals in the house, including Eggbeaters, Candys, and Mallets ... just no Double Shots yet.
Old 03-05-21, 09:08 AM
badger1

Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
The title led me to believe this would be a doping thread. Fortunately, that turned out not to be the case.
Likes For badger1:
Old 03-05-21, 02:43 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
I'll bite. Is this something halfway between the Mallet and the Candy? It almost looks like they're targeting the "people who wear size 9.5-10 shoes and weigh between 187 and 198 pounds" demographic.
Old 03-05-21, 08:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
I'd expect the weight to be balanced & the side likely to face up would be determined on shaft resistance. What looks feasible is potentially swapping out the assembly screws for a heavier (longer) alternative to increase resting side predictability.
Or tightly wrap a stainless cable piece around just one of the fore aft pedal body areas (mimic the same position on the other pedal) , not inboard nor outboard side. The cable might have enough dedz weight to influence predictability.
Old 03-06-21, 08:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'll bite. Is this something halfway between the Mallet and the Candy? It almost looks like they're targeting the "people who wear size 9.5-10 shoes and weigh between 187 and 198 pounds" demographic.
Mallet E is that blend of Mallet and Candy
Double Shot is platform on one side and half Eggbeaters on the other side.

I'd like to be able to ride or new tandem with both street shoes and clipless.
Old 03-06-21, 09:50 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
If they're anything like my Wellgo pedals, the clip always rolls down when you take your foot off the pedal leaving the platform upside no matter what the crank position is. It's not always the most convenient, but you always know the position of your pedal and it becomes automatic to roll it forward to clip in or just slam your foot down on it if you're not clipping in.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 03-08-21, 07:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Bigbus
If they're anything like my Wellgo pedals, the clip always rolls down when you take your foot off the pedal leaving the platform upside no matter what the crank position is. It's not always the most convenient, but you always know the position of your pedal and it becomes automatic to roll it forward to clip in or just slam your foot down on it if you're not clipping in.
That's what I'm hoping for with the Double Shots. Thanks!