Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you replace your rear tire because it starts to square off?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you replace your rear tire because it starts to square off?

Old 03-05-21, 05:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
I have a set of gp5000s with roughly 2800 miles on them. The rear tire has pretty much square off and has a flatter spot in the middle of the entire tire. There are no rips, tears or punctures. I was hoping to make past winter, but is it worth replacing now?
Put a dollar amount on it and then decide. Eg. you paid $40 for the tire, you hope for and could probably get 500 more miles which would bring it to 3300 miles. You've already gotten about $34 worth of value out of the $40 tire. Is the $6 a concern? ... that kinda thing
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-05-21, 06:16 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Squared off tyres on the front do not handle very well.
Also more likely to puncture which is less desirable on the front.
Well, the flat spot in the center is exactly as wide as the contact patch of a non-used tire. I don't know that as far as handling is concerned it would make any real difference being that it's made of rubber & held up by soft, squishy, compressible air. It'd be no different than leaving the front tire alone to age, dry out, & wear out for years through out however many new & fresh rear tire replacements. All tires wear.

Since it's the front, it also carries less weight, so the risk of a sharp bit of debris causing puncture is already low. The already low risk is unlikely to be likely be terribly increased by an amount that matters. But the extra tread thickness of the tire now on the rear means a bit of glass or whatever causing a puncture is much less likely.

Rotating tires spreads the wear around evenly & keeps the average age of tires on a bike much newer. Much like how is done on cars. A set is a set is a set.

I've lost count of how many tires have a flat center & broad sharp shoulders. It seems to me that if it negatively affected handling there would be "front" & "rear" only variants with different profiles commonly available.

Last edited by base2; 03-05-21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-05-21, 07:40 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Put a dollar amount on it and then decide. Eg. you paid $40 for the tire, you hope for and could probably get 500 more miles which would bring it to 3300 miles. You've already gotten about $34 worth of value out of the $40 tire. Is the $6 a concern? ... that kinda thing
Yeah, except that he could get way more than 500 more miles out of it. And then the other question is: what's the downside? He's slightly more prone to flat? Big whoop. Ride it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-05-21, 08:05 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Well, the flat spot in the center is exactly as wide as the contact patch of a non-used tire. I don't know that as far as handling is concerned it would make any real difference being that it's made of rubber & held up by soft, squishy, compressible air. It'd be no different than leaving the front tire alone to age, dry out, & wear out for years through out however many new & fresh rear tire replacements. All tires wear.

Since it's the front, it also carries less weight, so the risk of a sharp bit of debris causing puncture is already low. The already low risk is unlikely to be likely be terribly increased by an amount that matters. But the extra tread thickness of the tire now on the rear means a bit of glass or whatever causing a puncture is much less likely.

Rotating tires spreads the wear around evenly & keeps the average age of tires on a bike much newer. Much like how is done on cars. A set is a set is a set.

I've lost count of how many tires have a flat center & broad sharp shoulders. It seems to me that if it negatively affected handling there would be "front" & "rear" only variants with different profiles commonly available.
I know it effects the handling because I have done it and it was definitely noticeable.
Just makes the bike feel a bit weird on the initial turn in.
Nothing that is hard to manage but not right and for me I would rather pay the extra dollars to have a tyre there that behaved as it should.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 03-05-21, 08:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,836 Times in 3,142 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
No. What about the wear indicators?? The little dimples. If they are worn it's time to think about replacement.
This.

I have over 8000 (with 3 zeros) real American miles on my GP5000s and the dimples are still visible on the rear.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-05-21, 09:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
That's always when I replace tires - I usually get around 2,000 miles on the GP5000s.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, except that he could get way more than 500 more miles out of it. And then the other question is: what's the downside? He's slightly more prone to flat? Big whoop. Ride it.
Originally Posted by Dean V
I know it effects the handling because I have done it and it was definitely noticeable.
Just makes the bike feel a bit weird on the initial turn in.
Nothing that is hard to manage but not right and for me I would rather pay the extra dollars to have a tyre there that behaved as it should.
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
This.

I have over 8000 (with 3 zeros) real American miles on my GP5000s and the dimples are still visible on the rear.
So.. consensus is there is no consensus and suggestions are all over the map. OP: Do what you're comfortable doing.
Old 03-05-21, 10:57 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Now would be a good time to swap it to the front.
you should always put your best foot forward.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-06-21, 08:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So.. consensus is there is no consensus and suggestions are all over the map. OP: Do what you're comfortable doing.
Uh, one of those quotes is completely unqualified (not explaining why they replace as soon as it starts to show signs of squaring off) and another isn't addressing wear per se, but rather the suggestion of putting a slightly squared-off tire on the front wheel in an effort to balance wear (yeah, I wouldn't do that, either).

Not only are the wear indicators there for a reason, but you can bet that they're a slightly conservative gauge. In terms of wear, unless the tire is getting beat up enough to make it significantly more flat prone, there's no reason to not ride to the bottom of the indicators, at the very least. After that, some are comfortable to continue riding, keeping a close eye on the tread, until punctures threaten to become problematic or cords start showing through.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-06-21, 08:27 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
If I see cord, I replace. Or if it's worn enough to cause continued flatting, I replace.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 03-06-21, 08:34 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 404 Posts
Wow, tire rotation. 70 years in Southern AZ has taught and reinforced many times (everything has thorns/spines) that even I can bring a blown rear tire to a safe stop. Loosing steering control with a blown front tire is asking for an ugly finish. Best tire on front.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 03-06-21, 08:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Uh, one of those quotes is completely unqualified (not explaining why they replace as soon as it starts to show signs of squaring off) and another isn't addressing wear per se, but rather the suggestion of putting a slightly squared-off tire on the front wheel in an effort to balance wear (yeah, I wouldn't do that, either).

Not only are the wear indicators there for a reason, but you can bet that they're a slightly conservative gauge. In terms of wear, unless the tire is getting beat up enough to make it significantly more flat prone, there's no reason to not ride to the bottom of the indicators, at the very least. After that, some are comfortable to continue riding, keeping a close eye on the tread, until punctures threaten to become problematic or cords start showing through.
And to amplify my very valuable earlier post, I would love to replace my tires (new —> front —> rear) because I do think the handling is affected a little by squaring off, but I am too cheap and greenoid.
Old 03-06-21, 08:59 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
It sure doesnt look very square. Id ride it a lot further before replacing. There are wear indicators in the thread tho. If unsure just stick to that. A reasonable approach is to move the front tyre to the rear when the rear wears out and put un a fresh tyre in the front.
Old 03-06-21, 06:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Now would be a good time to swap it to the front.
I've always preferred to put the least worn tire on the front, for better handling. When the rear wears out, I move the front tire to the rear and put the new tire on the front.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-06-21, 07:26 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I never rotate tires, but then they also don't really get squared off. Too many long, steep, twisty descents around here that I'm sure dominate any and all tire wear. I just replace whichever tire is worn. If my tires actually got squared off I'd need to experiment and see to what extent it matters.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 03-06-21, 10:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,378 Posts
I take a tire off when it starts to flat. For some reason, nearly new tires seldom flat, but squared off ones do. I guess just the rubber being thinner? I've never worn a tire down even close to the casing before it started flatting.
Old 03-08-21, 02:46 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
if your tires are starting to square off .... take corners on your bike a lot harder
Old 03-08-21, 03:17 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Is your butt worth more than $50 ????
Sure replace the tire ASAP, You've gotten your value out
of the old tire. It can only get worse.
Old 03-08-21, 03:23 PM
altondavis2

Riding is a lot more fun when you expect your bike to hold up.

Replace the tires, enjoy the grip.
Old 03-08-21, 03:49 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by altondavis2
Is your butt worth more than $50 ????
Sure replace the tire ASAP, You've gotten your value out
of the old tire. It can only get worse.
So now he's going to die or be grievously injured because of that tire?

If someone is a pretty casual rider that's not putting in too many miles annually, sure - change out a tire after a handful of years when it's looking sad and dried out. If you ride a decent amount, though, making a habit out of throwing away a tire that has potentially thousands of miles left is going to increase your consumables budget considerably.
Old 03-08-21, 04:16 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I don't think that was the implication. Something untoward is going to happen specifically to the OP's butt. Of course, that could be almost anything, but we do know the body part and that's important.
Old 03-08-21, 04:24 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I don't think that was the implication. Something untoward is going to happen specifically to the OP's butt. Of course, that could be almost anything, but we do know the body part and that's important.
Good call - I have been spanked because my tire had only half of the usable tread remaining.

BRB - gotta go put some more miles on these new tires.
Old 03-08-21, 04:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Knock wood, but I've never had a wreck due to tire flat or other tire failure. I'm sure some others have.

As I said previously, I generally run them till the first flat after the cords show. Many times that is the first flat for that tire.
Old 03-08-21, 05:01 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
No. What about the wear indicators?? The little dimples. If they are worn it's time to think about replacement.
Yeah, I have started replacing my Conti's when the wear indicators are fading. Used to get 5,000 miles, now I seem to only get 3500-4000. I think it's because I am fatter.
Old 03-08-21, 05:04 PM
altondavis2

Respose to dumb stuff

If someone is a pretty casual rider that's not putting in too many miles annually, sure - change out a tire after a handful of years when it's looking sad and dried out. If you ride a decent amount, though, making a habit out of throwing away a tire that has potentially thousands of miles left is going to increase your consumables budget considerably.
----------------
Of course he's not going to die, but suffering an incovenience of walking a couple of miles or being late
for a planned activity after riding comuld happen due to worn tires. My time is valuable.
Old 03-08-21, 05:04 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
If I see cord, I replace. Or if it's worn enough to cause continued flatting, I replace.
I cringe when i see my friends riding with the casing exposed. What the hell, they are all lawyers, judges & doctors...they can afford new tyres. dopes
Likes For bikejrff:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.