Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suzue Novatec scandal?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Suzue Novatec scandal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 03:32 PM
FTB
Luke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Suzue Novatec scandal?

Suzue re-released their carbon track hubs recently, this time with sealed bearings. I haven't seen them in person yet so I took a look at pictures online and couldn't help but notice that they don't use the same axle hardware from their Promax SB (sealed bearing hubs) despite the Promax Carbons being sealed bearing. The hardware actually looks similar to novatec, cheap, value taiwanese hubs with the exception of Suzues SB seals

I'm puzzled as to why a company like Suzue (with sansin/suntour machinery etc) would bring back an awesome product from the dead, make it sealed bearing but not use their own sealed axle hardware???? The only reason for this that I can see is that they are manufactured by novatec or another similar cheaper brand.

Lots of pictures attached. Check out how the hollowed out axle for the new carbon hubs has a 5mm hex almost like Mavic while Suzues usual axles are solid as per NJS. Novatecs also share this hollowed 5mm hex axle
The pictures get confusing so I labelled them. (only the first one is the old promax cf)

It is also worth saying that I could not find neither exploded diagrams nor tech docx for the new hubs, and also suzue could be borrowing novatec axles and hardware (maybe even the people novatec get their axles from)

I could be completely wrong

Promax CF (Old, cup and cone bearings and discontinued)

Below; Promax SB (sealed bearing suzue axle hardware)

Below; "suzue promax carbon" --> the current carbon hubs from suzue, sealed bearing but with different axle hardware to suzue. Only similarity to their SB line I see is the seals

below; two pictures of Novatec hubs
see how the axle is the same to the above picture, there are the knurled locknuts etc. seals are different for sure.

the rear novatec may be spaced out to 130mm as they do offer that I believe. That could explain the larger locknut for the rear only?

Any thoughts? Has anyone had a new carbon sealed bearing one in the hand? Any insight into whether I am totally wrong or not? Hard to tell just from pictures.

Point being I wouldn't want to shell out for a hub that it just a novatec wrapped in a layer of plastic. wasn't sure whether to post in track, fgss or here but figured the people who might know the answer will likely be here.
Old 03-05-21, 07:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
I guess this is better than another lube thread or a What Bike is this bike: zero info edition.

It is probably a pretty common axle, it being a fixed gear/single speed hub using a nutted axle. It is not like they need to reinvent the wheel for a throwback product. Also it is a different product from another one of their products and it is quite common to do different things there. Novatec aren't great hubs but are perfectly serviceable for normal riders so if they happened to share hardware not a terrible thing.

However no exploded views and no actual having touched all 3 hubs so, I guess it would be "cool story, yo" moment?

Maybe dial up Quanon and see if they know anything about it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-06-21, 12:17 AM
FTB
Luke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I guess this is better than another lube thread or a What Bike is this bike: zero info edition.

It is probably a pretty common axle, it being a fixed gear/single speed hub using a nutted axle. It is not like they need to reinvent the wheel for a throwback product. Also it is a different product from another one of their products and it is quite common to do different things there. Novatec aren't great hubs but are perfectly serviceable for normal riders so if they happened to share hardware not a terrible thing.

However no exploded views and no actual having touched all 3 hubs so, I guess it would be "cool story, yo" moment?

Maybe dial up Quanon and see if they know anything about it.
Yea thanks for the reply to what was probably just a silly post
Hoping a shop owner etc like an unbanned Scrod may have seen them in person or something or maybe suzue just cutting corners? really like their previous hubs and it would be pretty cool for them to keep some of their theme with the new ones.

definitely agree that theres not really any point in investing tons of r&d into something that will probably end up being limited edition.

sorry for the lack of info, not sure where to look further for the aforementioned diagrams or perhaps there isn't one from mfg.

chur
Old 03-06-21, 11:43 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by FTB
Yea thanks for the reply to what was probably just a silly post
Hoping a shop owner etc like an unbanned Scrod may have seen them in person or something or maybe suzue just cutting corners? really like their previous hubs and it would be pretty cool for them to keep some of their theme with the new ones.

definitely agree that theres not really any point in investing tons of r&d into something that will probably end up being limited edition.

sorry for the lack of info, not sure where to look further for the aforementioned diagrams or perhaps there isn't one from mfg.

chur
I haven't seen Scrodzilla in a long time. I have a feeling he is gone. You could email him but I probably wouldn't over this.

I mean no point in trying to reinvent the wheel less so investing R&D more why do it unless there is something really flawed with what works.

That is sort of the point without info that is how things spiral out of amuck. No info can lead to violent insurrection. Not that this will but we have seen it happen.