Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Picking a saddle, well, SUCKS!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 04:10 PM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't believe there isn't a more scientific way of choosing a saddle. I know I have wide sit bones so I need a saddle at least 17-18cm wide. Other than that I know jack! Its really frustrating, especially to someone who is OCD like me. I sent my bent saddle back, so know I have to pick a saddle ASAP because I can't ride until the day after I receive it.

I traded some coffee equipment for an Amazon gift card, so I have a max that I would like to spend of $125. I keep getting lead back to Brooks, currently considering the B67 as it is a bit wider as well as the B17 Imperial. The lack of being waterproof really bothers me enough to give me pause. I am also looking at the Selle Royal Respiro moderate and the Selle SMP TRK women's model (for the extra width).

How do you guys go about making a choice on a saddle? Is it really a shot in the dark every time?

Old 08-15-17, 05:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 2,853 Times in 1,553 Posts
have you measured your sit bone....that is what is important, as they don't change (unlike your overall...width) and is where the pressure is. Some shops have a dohicky that you sit on and it shows dents where the sitbones are

here are some ideas for measuring and fitting

from rivet Which Saddle is best for me?

here are plenty of ways to measure your sit bones, so I won’t go into them all here. Simply, you can do it yourself or have help from a friend, or spend a lot of money having someone do it for you. If you have a willing partner, use a measuring tape, assume the position and have at it! Or, if you are alone, place a piece of paper on top of a foam-like surface and sit down on it hard. Make sure you are sitting upright, which will push your sit bones into a vertical position. Your sit bones will leave an indentation on the paper. Use a measuring tape to measure the space between the indentations in millimeters not inches.

Once you have the measurement, add 2cm (or 20mm). Saddle width is approximate to sit bone spacing + 2cm. With leather saddles like a Rivet, you definitely want to add that 2cm, because you do not want to be sitting on the metal frame of the saddle. You want to be seated between the edges of the frame.

What if the saddle’s more than 2cm wider than sit bone spacing? You may experience rubbing/chafing on the inner thighs, and or extra pressure on your hamstrings. You may find yourself moving up onto the nose of the saddle, which will put more pressure on your soft tissue. Overall, too narrow is typically worse than too wide because the saddle will naturally migrate up into the pubic area filled with soft tissue and nerve endings.

here is a video from art's cyclery How to Measure Sit Bone Width For Bicycle Saddle Selection

as for brooks and waterproof.....just cover it when you are not on top of it....or consider the cambium

Old 08-15-17, 06:41 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
have you measured your sit bone....that is what is important, as they don't change (unlike your overall...width) and is where the pressure is. Some shops have a dohicky that you sit on and it shows dents where the sitbones are

here are some ideas for measuring and fitting

from rivet Which Saddle is best for me?

here are plenty of ways to measure your sit bones, so I won’t go into them all here. Simply, you can do it yourself or have help from a friend, or spend a lot of money having someone do it for you. If you have a willing partner, use a measuring tape, assume the position and have at it! Or, if you are alone, place a piece of paper on top of a foam-like surface and sit down on it hard. Make sure you are sitting upright, which will push your sit bones into a vertical position. Your sit bones will leave an indentation on the paper. Use a measuring tape to measure the space between the indentations in millimeters not inches.

Once you have the measurement, add 2cm (or 20mm). Saddle width is approximate to sit bone spacing + 2cm. With leather saddles like a Rivet, you definitely want to add that 2cm, because you do not want to be sitting on the metal frame of the saddle. You want to be seated between the edges of the frame.

What if the saddle’s more than 2cm wider than sit bone spacing? You may experience rubbing/chafing on the inner thighs, and or extra pressure on your hamstrings. You may find yourself moving up onto the nose of the saddle, which will put more pressure on your soft tissue. Overall, too narrow is typically worse than too wide because the saddle will naturally migrate up into the pubic area filled with soft tissue and nerve endings.

here is a video from art's cyclery How to Measure Sit Bone Width For Bicycle Saddle Selection

as for brooks and waterproof.....just cover it when you are not on top of it....or consider the cambium
Thanks, yes, they measured my sit bones at my fitting and they got 15cm and told me to add 2-3 because I sit pretty upright on the bike. I am leaning toward the brooks b67, but have not yet ruled out the imperial. The imperial is 17.5cm wide and the b67 is a bit over 20cm wide.
Old 08-15-17, 08:27 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Saddles are pretty much a trial and error item. A saddle may be the wrong width yet be more comfortable than one that's a perfect width.

Many people go through dozens till they find the right one. And sometimes it becomes a never ending quest.
Old 08-15-17, 11:02 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I ordered a Selle SMP TRK woman's version. I liked that it came in red and it was half the price of the Brooks. If I knew for sure the Brooks would be better I would pay the money without a second thought, but this one has enough good reviews that I will give it a good go first. If it doesn't work, my next one will be a Brooks. I also ordered new grips with the same metallic red horns that my water bottles and stem riser have. Along with the red saddle it should look super sharp. The original pair of grips I bought were $14 and they are already coming apart and pinching me a bit, but they did good enough to let me know I like that style.

Last edited by bigbiker1; 08-15-17 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 04:18 AM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck! I have a SMP saddle, they can be a bit tricky to set up right, so be patient with it, and do very minor adjustments.
Old 08-16-17, 05:51 AM
gabedad

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking at a brooks - look at selle anatomica

Leather saddle with no break-in

https://selleanatomica.com/

I have it on two bikes. I am about 225 and ride about 100 miles per week on it.

Most comfortable for long distance too
Old 08-17-17, 07:49 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I just ordered a Selle SMP TRK myself. I've started to develop numbness in bits I really don't want to be numb on rides over 20 miles. I ordered it last night, will be here tomorrow, I love Amazon prime.
Old 08-18-17, 04:35 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I love my WTB Comfort Comp saddle. It's 17cm or so wide, cheap and durable.
Old 08-18-17, 05:07 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Brooks Cambium C19:... based on the dimensions of the B67 ... wide and waterproof

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/cambium-c19-1.html

Old 08-18-17, 01:09 PM
Aahzz

My new saddle arrived today, took it to my friendly LBS to have them help my fit it - they rock. They also now have beer on tap so I can have a beer while they tweak my ride. I'll have a better opinion after tomorrow/Sunday (Sunday's my longer ride day), but my test ride impressions was "where have you been all my life!!"

I like the look, too

Old 08-18-17, 06:06 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
My new saddle arrived today, took it to my friendly LBS to have them help my fit it - they rock. They also now have beer on tap so I can have a beer while they tweak my ride. I'll have a better opinion after tomorrow/Sunday (Sunday's my longer ride day), but my test ride impressions was "where have you been all my life!!"

I like the look, too
Very sharp! Posting some pics of mine in a minute.

Edit: how do you get those full size pics to attach??

Last edited by bigbiker1; 08-18-17 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-18-17, 06:38 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a link to pics, click for full size on each. I can't get anything but tiny images to post here.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 08-18-17, 06:38 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
They also now have beer on tap so I can have a beer while they tweak my ride.
My kind of LBS. 😉
Old 08-18-17, 08:05 PM
Aahzz

Originally Posted by bigbiker1
Very sharp! Posting some pics of mine in a minute.

Edit: how do you get those full size pics to attach??
I link to the full size pics on my website
Old 08-18-17, 08:05 PM
Aahzz

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
My kind of LBS. 😉
They're incredibly awesome.
Old 08-18-17, 08:07 PM
Aahzz

Here is a link to pics, click for full size on each. I can't get anything but tiny images to post here.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
I LOVE the color scheme.
Old 08-19-17, 08:13 AM
Aahzz

First ride was 12.1 miles, went well - definitely relieved the perineum pressure I was getting on the stock saddle, but of course now there's pressure in new places. Need to tweak the position slightly, but I'm feeling good about it.
Old 08-19-17, 11:22 AM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
First ride was 12.1 miles, went well - definitely relieved the perineum pressure I was getting on the stock saddle, but of course now there's pressure in new places. Need to tweak the position slightly, but I'm feeling good about it.
Good choice! I've got a couple thousand miles on the SMP Pro version and love it.
It does take some fine adjustment and some "self-hardening", but it's served me well. I've also noticed that over time it's good to change its angle slightly as you age and your physique changes.
Old 08-19-17, 01:37 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 25 this morning over a rough patch of trail, I had to run over a lot of 1-2inch sticks and hit a lot of little holes and crevices. It went pretty well, I feel good now and had not real discomfort during my ride.
Old 08-19-17, 01:39 PM
Aahzz

I rode 25 this morning over a rough patch of trail, I had to run over a lot of 1-2inch sticks and hit a lot of little holes and crevices. It went pretty well, I feel good now and had not real discomfort during my ride.
I moved mine back and tweaked it a bit downward, will do about 20 miles tomorrow and report again
Old 08-19-17, 04:25 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I moved mine back and tweaked it a bit downward, will do about 20 miles tomorrow and report again
I moved mine back a bit during my ride as well, it seemed to help.
Old 08-20-17, 11:22 AM
Jason9142002

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Trail 6, Fuji Track Bike, Giant OCR

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe there isn't a more scientific way of choosing a saddle. I know I have wide sit bones so I need a saddle at least 17-18cm wide. Other than that I know jack! Its really frustrating, especially to someone who is OCD like me. I sent my bent saddle back, so know I have to pick a saddle ASAP because I can't ride until the day after I receive it.

I traded some coffee equipment for an Amazon gift card, so I have a max that I would like to spend of $125. I keep getting lead back to Brooks, currently considering the B67 as it is a bit wider as well as the B17 Imperial. The lack of being waterproof really bothers me enough to give me pause. I am also looking at the Selle Royal Respiro moderate and the Selle SMP TRK women's model (for the extra width).

How do you guys go about making a choice on a saddle? Is it really a shot in the dark every time?

I have a Brooks b17. I will only use them now. I love it. Never felt anything like it.
Old 08-20-17, 01:28 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

No; first figure out about what width. Second; flat or curved top, hammock or scooped. Third; cut-out or no cut-out. Fourth; material and weight.

You can narrow the universe of saddles down to a few likely candidates if experimentation turns you off.
Old 08-20-17, 02:07 PM
Aahzz

OK, I did 20.7 miles on the SMP today. The final tweaking yesterday worked - I think I'm in love. No perineal pressure, no manly bit numbness. Some sits-bone pain, but way less than I'd been having and it might still be residual from the stock saddle, my butt has been pretty consistently sore. I feel great, and normally after my Sunday ride my tuchas hurts enough that I've been taking Monday off. Not this week!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.