Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 10:07 AM
richas

Bikes: Giant Defy Disc 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am 53.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Giant Defy Disc 1

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Nope, though I am taking vitamins right now. That is usually short lived though...

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Started biking 1 year ago, still speeding up!

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
1 Year

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
I ride from NE Portland to work in Tualatin and back. 20 miles each way with hills. I am fortunate to have showers at work. I try to bike on weekends. Longest ride is about 40 miles, going for 50 this weekend.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
1-3 times a week to work when the weather is good. That is a long ride in rain, of which we have a LOT. I will endeavor to get some winter riding in... Running is my fall back activity. Been running for years but it has really taken a back set to biking which is more fun and definitely a better workout.
Old 09-29-17, 03:48 PM
vlicon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell us your age.

Trek 5200
Bianchi Trofeo
Trek 8000 mountain bike
GT Sport CX - Cross bike/Gravel Bike
Salsa Marrakesh
Fischer Man Bike turned single speed

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No

I'm sure I have, but I haven't noticed much. Recovery from harder rides is now a necessity.

All my life

Yes

2800 -3000 miles. But I ride about 7 months of the year. It there is snow I XC ski.
Old 11-18-17, 06:58 AM
pyratenomad

Bikes: Novara Safari. Trek 1500.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't be 50 until March, but I figure that I am close enough to post in this forum.

Novara Safari. A bit on the heavy side, but built like a tank.

Yes. Regularly, I take Guinness Extra Stout with a supplemental Black Butte Porter as needed.

Not much, really. I am only old on the outside.

I have been biking for my entire life. A bit of touring and several years working as a messenger in the Bay Area (CA).

Mainly commuting these days. I plan on taking a year off work to embark on a "vagabond" bike tour around the USA. I need to scratch one off "The List"

Every day. Mileage varies too much to estimate.
Old 12-30-17, 01:41 AM
gda659

Bikes: Elephant Bikes NFE, Soulcraft Royale, DeSalvo Team Issue, 96 Stumpjumper Comp, Intense Tracer 29, Rans Rocket, Bike Friday NWT, 1978 Puch Royal X

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
56 yrs
1. DeSalvo Team Issue, Soulcraft Royale, Intense Tracer 29, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp with Jones H-bars for gravel, Rans Rocket, and soon an Elephant Bikes NFE.
2. Vitamin D, Lisinopril, Simvastatin (doctor's orders)
3. I've slowed down a lot in the last 15 years.
4. Been biking on and off since I was 6.
5. I used to enjoy century rides, then commuting and fast recreational rides. But now I'm looking forward to half day and longer gravel rides, fitness rides of 15-20 miles, and anything else that sounds like a good ride.
6. I've been slacking due to life and school. Going to get back on track this year with 3 or 4 rides per week. Target mileage for 2018 is at least 2.5k.
Old 01-07-18, 05:56 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 60

Trek FX S 6

Yes. Vitamins, protein shakes.

Not much at all.

All my life off and on.

1-2 hours for fitness.
Old 01-30-18, 05:55 AM
haylew

Bikes: C3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Cervélo C3 & Marin Mount Vision.
2. Nutrients vegan for health reasons. Not because older, rather because MS badgers my myelin, I take vitamins D3, B12, biotin plus magnesium glycinate. Always avoided drugs, experts or those that wear white coats.
3. Half power and stamina (this body was quick in the past), and try much harder now.
4. First 2x50k ride over 24hr: age 7. Interludes when I ran a lot and desk sat too much. Knees shot now.
5. Through Blighty's ugly winter: Zwift, Golden Cheetah, etc (too skinny now for wind, cold & wet) typically 1 hour blast, but just about anything I come across that's motivating. In summer, 3x full gas /week around a very grippy local 30k hills and dead lanes circuit. Plus some easier rides twice as long.
6. 700k with 6k climbing so far this Jan2018, doubt I'll find time for 12x that this year.
Not into the age meme, but calendar says the body's approaching 67.
My bicycling's for fun, blowing off steam, joining in, exploring, and adventure. Like a daft dog that can't resist dashing out to chase a passing truck's tyres, I'm up for a challenge and discovery.
178cm, 66kg, RHR:<50 MHR:162, BP:50/100, FTP:~220. Major injuries excepted, reckon anyone could, if they abandoned the SAD diet and curmudgeondom, and found the mental verve. It's only for fun (except the traffic and being knocked off). Logic says life's shorter than we realize, hope puffing and blowing is a good way to spend some of it. Evidence shows that the big C, brain rot, fatigue, etc hate it.
Old 02-01-18, 07:48 PM
iowa mark

Bikes: GT,Trek,Fuji,and a couple of Schwinns

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
1. GT STS
2. Centrum silver for old men
3. A lifetime of construction and factory mechanical and fabrication work has taken it's toll on this poor body. Maybe knocked me back by 20-30% from my twenties.
4. Always had a bike, but riding has been interrupted, sometimes by years.
5. Mostly 8 to 12 miles after work on the gravel roads around home, but there are times when I may take off for the day and see where I end up.
6. 3000 miles? never really thought about a number.
I've reached 50 and am in the process of going backwards to see how close to zero I get (now at age 35)
Old 02-06-18, 11:41 AM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi. Glad to share info, it's good to know that bicycling doesn't need to stop at age 50.

Age: 68, And I finally figured out "what I want to be" when I grow up. -- Still Living --

50 +rides what? : Keep lots around, not high end, but customized to fit needs or whims.
Summer bike--old Specilized stump jumper.
Winter bike -- Newer big-box store Schwinn, w/fenders.
Fun Bikes -- These are older BMX bikes that have been "up-sized" to adult, with taller seat/stem and or handlebars.
These bikes are not made to be jumped, raced or thrashed. 5 to 10 mph normal. Don't need to pass anybody.

Still have one of the first I assembled, from 1985, It's a Diamond-Goose-GT-type.
Also built up two tandems from BMX frames in 2016
Also built up my first working trike, in same year, used BMX and kids bikes for parts.

One of this years projects--A customer passed on to me his brothers old Viking road bike. Brother had Passed on.
Will be "sectioning" the frame down to around 54 CM, setting up with 700 C wheelset, Bontrager 700x85 tires,
mid range gearing, and flat bars, but very high, to allow an upright posture.

Sups : Multi vite - lots of C - and D in gloomy winter. Also take pain meds for 38 year fight with back pain.

Slow Down : Some, but never wanted to race. Love to watch others race.
Also live with Seasonal Slump.

How long : First ride at 7, that was in 1957. That was also my first over the handle bars header.
First bike- some old clunk my dad cleaned up. Heavy, coaster brake. 26" wheels.
First new bike, saved up to buy - 1963 Schwinn , 2 speed.
First 10 speed - bought in 1973 ,used, repaired and rode for around 10 years.
First MTB - Trek 850
First assembled by me "Fun Bike" Aluminum frame BMX G-boy. 1985.
Now --- lost track of "how many", When, Who for, and where they went.

Rides : Mostly short "around the block" and neighborhood, test rides, bike trail rides, to and from close by stores.
Don't bother to keep track of distance, very random. That's enough for me, get more out of playing "with" bikes
than playing on them.
Have not figured out how to play a banjo and ride at the same time, but will consider it.

How Often : That is also random. In winter it's the Exercycle in front of the TV, without popcorn.
When it's over 40 degrees, but lightly raining, have bikes with fenders.
When the weather turns nice, it's nearly anytime. Live in a small town, and have access to lots of
suburban streets to make use of. Some times 3 or 4 short rides in a day.

One thing that stays the same : There are all kinds of people, young and old, who ride bikes, and
all kinds of bikes that fit each one. In my opinion, it's "Vive le Difference"

bkentr

Last edited by bkentr; 02-07-18 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-06-18, 12:05 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
I am 56.

Litespeed Vortex, Trek 700 Multitrack (inherited from my father), and very soon an All-City Mr. Pink!

Fish oil, calcium/vitamin D, multivitamin

"The older I get, the faster I was" I recall averaging 16-17mph no problem on long rides when I was in my late 20s and then again in my early 40s (I had a long layoff when I refatted in my 30s). Now I'm happy when I can average somewhere between 13-14mph.

All my life, just with layoffs when I refatted. My bike was my first love as a kid, still is. I do other activities (run, hike, snowshoe, weight train, swim) but biking outdoors is my most favorite.

Did my first century when I was 19. Have done a lot of invitational rides over the years plus numerous shorter rides on my own. Did my first 200K brevet last summer and am hooked.

During the nicer months, I'm out on my bike at least once a week. I live in northern Illinois so this winter has been a challenge although I got in 5 rides in January for a total of 240+ miles.

2017 was my highest mileage year in memory with 2,100+ miles. Hoping to get over 2,500 this year. January got me off to a great start. February weather is currently a mess in my area (lots of snow, ice, and cold).
Old 02-08-18, 09:32 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I'm 61 years old

I have lots of bikes but the ones that I ride the most are steel drop bar road bikes. My favorites are a Bianchi, Waterford, Gunnar, Masi and Giant (carbon) road bikes.

Glucosamine, chondroitin, vitamin D.

I have slowed down a lot since my 20's, by about 25% to 50%

I have biked all of my life, worked at a couple of bike shops in high school and after college. I took a short break when my daughter was born.

I try to ride daily to keep in bike shape for an annual tour.

I normally try to ride 3 days a week, now that I am retired I try to ride daily, if it is too cold outside, I ride a trainer. Annual milage has been over 3000 miles but should increase with retirement.
Old 02-18-18, 05:45 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Greetings!

Fairly new on the forum, but thought I would chime in..

I am 58/retired and my wife is (54 soon to be retired) we both just began riding most comfortable bike ever haha.. - Giant Sedona’s. I just bought a new DX in XL and my wife has a Sedona in Large. We are both tall and really enjoy these bicycles. We purchased a KUAT Transfer (2) hitch mounted bike rack to transport our bikes. A nice rack for the money.
I had a scope performed on my right knee Dec 5, and began riding cycling about 8 weeks post surgery after completing my PT. My knee is now feeling great.

No supplements, however we are blueberry micro farmers with (40) bushes and enjoy awesome Blueberry smoothies, and healthy eating.

We enjoy rail trails, small town riding, parks, we try and avoid a lot of busy in town riding due to the risks associated with drivers just not paying attention to cyclists. We also plan to take our bikes when we travel.

Always learning and hope to learn even more on this forum!

Last edited by Patriot1; 02-18-18 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-21-18, 07:40 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
I have a Ridley Aedon 605A & Bianchi Via Nirone 7. Also a Giant Talon 29er MTB.

Just the usual, run of the mill stuff. B12, Vitamin C, Cod liver oil, Omega 3.

Cant say I have slowed down. Only began cycling 6 months ago. So, at he moment, I am getting faster!

Only the last 6 months.....just wish I knew how good it was 30 years ago!

I prefer mid to longer rides. Which for me would be 20 - 40 miles. I also enjoy a few miles around my local nature reserve on my MTB.

Not so much in the last few weeks, due to weather. Mostly been indoors on turbo. But, I was avg around the 60 miles a week mark. Hopefully get that figure up when better weather comes in.
Old 02-27-18, 03:47 PM
HeyJude408

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 59 and ride a Trek Madone which I bought (hardly used) off Craigslist in 2015. My partner is 64 and rides a Trek Domane (2013).

Fish oil, calcium/vitamin D, multivitamin, B-12, glucosamine chondritin.

When I got my bike in summer of 2015, we used to ride 20 miles five days a week here in Long Beach on the bike path averaging 17-18 mph. Slowly, it's cut down to Monday-Tuesday with a break on Wednesday, then riding on Thursday-Friday and just 15 miles averaging 16.5 mph. Part of the reason why we cut the ride short is we no longer like riding on the streets with cars pulling out and not noticing us. We ride at 4:30am (yep, seriously) because we like to beat the traffic and it's a quiet time of the day for the most part except for the early commuters out on the streets.

Started out mountain biking up in Sonoma County in my 20's, stopped after kids in the 90's and started riding on my road bike in 2015.

See #3

At least 3-4x a week here -- the beach bike path is just 2 minutes down the street from us! I have no idea what our annual mileage is.
Old 02-27-18, 08:58 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I'm 64.

My main road bike is a Trek Domane. I also ride a Surly Disc Trucker for touring and have pulled it into service for gravel rides. My old Cannondale Synapse is my winter/bad weather bike.

No supplements.

Hard to say as I don't race or have speed as a primary goal. I think there's a cross-trajectory of age slowing me down but learning a bit more about pacing, hydration, etc has helped offset the aging some.

I've ridden to some degree since I was a young child although took a break in my teens through early twenties. Having said that, got more serious when I turned 56.

As I head into peak season, I try to make my long ride at least 50 miles with quite a few metric centuries and 75 - 85 miles rides throughout. Then, at least a couple of centuries. Got into gravel riding last year and love it. I've done some week long tours but kind of cheated as my wife came along - she's not a rider so I'd ride and she'd drive and we'd meet up at a b&b. I do want to do a self-supported tour though.

I try to get out at least 5 days a week if I can and weather cooperates. I get maybe 4,000 - 4,500 miles a year in.
Old 03-01-18, 05:59 PM
DigitalGee
Banned

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Popping in to see who's still here

Hi all,

I was a regular from about 2005-2012 or so, but I've been gone for many years. Moved from sunny San Diego to four-season Reno, Nevada. I haven't ridden a bike in a couple of years, but still have two in the garage. I plan to sell at least one of them this spring - a Masi I purchased six years ago. It's too much bike for me now!

Since being on the forum, I've aged for some reason. I was 55 when I started way back then and now I'm 67. I've survived one heart attack (mild, or so they tell me).

If anybody remembers me from so long ago, let me know. According to the forum, I've only got 2 posts. Nothing from back then survives. I used to visit this forum daily.

Anyway, howdy!
Old 03-10-18, 11:08 PM
nemo57

Bikes: early '60s Hillman single speed; 1976 Hillman 14 speed; 2017 Gios Gress; 1976 Cecil Walker track bike; Cannondale Topstone Carbon Lefty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
I'm 61
1. Riding a Hillman roadie of Reynolds 531 made by the late George McDonald here in Melbourne in 1976, and restored by Gordon Hill last year. With all Superbe Pro running gear except for the 70's Sugino Mighty cranks and chainwheels I picked up from the land of the rising sun. The bicycle I could not possibly afford then.
2. Creatine and whey on my cereal is about it. Oh, cigarettes and coffee also help.
3. I'm speeding up, from a very low base.
4. Let's say - some months in lycra, though I've always had a pushy to get around on.
5-6. At this stage 30-50 km 4-5 times per week. Trying to climb a little. Aiming at 210 km day ride in October, and am optimistic of getting there.
Old 03-12-18, 09:42 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I'm 50

1. I have been riding a 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid flat bar road bike since I bought it new, and recently just resurrected a 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring that my father (now 74) purchased new.

2. Multivitamins, Advocare Spark, and prescription meds (Type 2 Diabetic).

3. I still feel young, still play in occasional soccer game, but just gave up my gym membership to force myself to ride more. I get more physical and health benefit from riding than from an eliptical machine and strength training.

4. I raced BMX in my teens in the early 80's, normal kid stuff riding around prior to that. Once I started driving, I rarely got on another bike until my kids were young and I bought a Mongoose hardtail mountain bike to ride along, take camping, etc. My kids are now 19 and 21 and in college.

5. I'm lucky enough to live in a part of town very close to a large lake with all the Corps of Engineers park roads and in a city that has done far and away more than our neighbors in biking infrastructure. I'm falling into a routine of about 50 miles total on my old Motobecane on the weekends, a couple of 7-10 mile greenbelt rides on my Fuji hybrid during the week after work.

6. See above, but my goal is roughly 3500 miles per year based on the numbers above, allowing a little time off due to weather, conflicts, etc.

Cheers!
Old 03-16-18, 05:34 AM
itsivxx

Bikes: Giant and Dyno Roadster

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

(DnvrFox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

I own and ride daily a 2010 Giant comfort that I have completed a complete restore on

I'm one of the lucky ones that got old without popping pills. CBD maybe, but nothing man made

I don't feel that I have really slowed down any. I still ride my Landyachtz Long board when not riding

Started riding about 45 years ago..off and on until I hit 40 years old, now its riding when the weather gets nice. I trt to get in 30+ miles a week

My girlfriend and I normally take off in the mornings and get in 3 or 4 hours of ride time. She has been slowing down through out the years...health is slowing her down. Need to find a few young bucks to ride with!

25 to 30 miles a week
Old 04-03-18, 12:31 PM
transitguy

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Limited, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 520, Specialized carbon Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, all
Here's my contribution to the "50+" thread:

I most often ride my older, refurbished Trek 520, but I also ride an older Bianchi Limited and an older Specialized mountain bike. I guess my bikes are somewhat fossilized, like me.

No, none. I'm 67 years old and I've managed to avoid pills so far.

I was never a strong rider, but I've always had pretty good stamina. I can still do long rides while on tour (80+ miles) but I find myself pushing my loaded touring bike over some mountain passes that I probably would have conquered a few decades ago.
My touring partner and I always start a tour with the same mantra: we're old guys and we don't have anything to prove. We don't consider walking occasionally to be a crime.

I've been cycling somewhat seriously since 1982 and touring since the late 1980's.

Tours and shorter rides around home.

I usually log between 1,500 and 2,000 miles per year, depending on the local weather. I live in Minnesota, so that limits my cycling opportunities. Right now it's snowing (about 7" so far) and the air temp is about 30 degrees F.
Old 04-20-18, 09:48 AM
Psychopasta

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Felt E-Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Gang,

So here's my status:

Please tell us your age.

I am 59, used to cycle a lot as a student, been very on/off since then, now looking to get back into fitness via cycling. Goal is to ride a century.

I have a Felt e-Bike I use for commuting, ~25 miles round trip. The bike trail parts are very hilly (Seattle area) and I really like the e-Bike for the main road parts as I'm on them at peak times. No BS about eBikes please, I simply would not commute by bike without the extra assist, and I can turn the assist off when I don't need it :-)

To get me onto my Century goal I have just bought a Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0. Now I would have been happy with their Al bike with 105, but they didn't have it in my size and, hell, I'm worth it.

Not really. I use MyFitnessPal to manage nutrition and really aim to get what I need from food. I do use a protein powder as part of my diet, and I occasionally take fish oil as I'm cutting down hard on fat. Overall I avoid supplements unless I'm clear what nutrition my diet isn't giving me.

Hmm...I've never been that fast, and I'm probably fitter now than I have been for the last 20 years when we started having kids. I'm pretty pleased with the shape I'm in.

Patchy use: lots as a kid, lots as a college student, not a lot since until now.

I'd really like to get a century under my belt. I generally do 30-40 mile trips on bike trails for pleasure.
Old 05-03-18, 03:03 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
my $0.02

Originally Posted by dnvrfox

. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

some questions:

Please tell us your age.
i am 57, almost 58

i have my pride and joy, regular bike, a 2014 pinarello fp quatro, with full chorus groupset, and i just added campagnolo bullet 50 wheels.
I recently re-purchased my previous bike, a 1994 (1993?) specialized allez comp that came with full campagnolo stratus groupset. Over the years i upgraded almost every part, but kept it campy
and the latest addition to the stable is a mid 80s ciocc. She is a gorgeous girl! I will post pics after i get enough posts to be allowed.

my wife hands me a bunch of vitamins semi-regularly, and i take them. I call them expensive urine, but it keeps she happy. It tends to be d, e, b and c, along with magnesium and a childrens aspirin. New things show up based upon what she read on the internet, or saw on dr. Oz!

this year i started riding with a club, and man have i gotten faster! Used to average 16 mph alone, and on one 20 miler, i averaged 19.8!

all my life. Always ups and downs, when my circumstances allowed it (not now) i tried to commute to work at least 3 days a week in the summer months.

i love to ride long and slow, and short and fast. Just did my first 10 mile time trial last month... Finished 34th of 38, so ok i guess.

most weeks 2-4 times a week.
Mileage varies. 2 years ago it was 4600 miles, last year it was 1200 miles, and this year i have 1500 so far

if you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
57 58
Old 05-03-18, 04:50 PM
Lord Baltimore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lease tell us your age.
I am 68

I ride a Felt F90 most of the time and have Merckx MX Leader in my den that I just mostly admire at leisure.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Multiples, Gamma E, calcium magnesium, COq 10, d3, Iron, Creatine, Probiotics, K Complex, Pycnogenol, B12 and Protein Supplements

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Never rode for speed, just time in the saddle

All my life, but I used cycling sparingly during the last 20 years of power lifting to make weight and increase my VO2 Max, I've since given up power lifting a year ago and I have lost almost 30 pounds of fat and muscle, reduced my BP and high cholesterol with a vegetarian diet and a lot of cycling. Who says you can't go from an endomorph to a mesomorph by changing training and diet?

I like to ride a long time in between visits to the gym (such visits are now made to prevent cyclists osteoporosis)

Cheers,
Carl Carlson
Old 05-07-18, 05:25 PM
wicozani

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Ciocc, Gitane, Motobecane, Vitus, Carrera, Bridgestone, Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Black Hills roadie...

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age - 56, just under 6-ft., 190 lbs

I have 14 road bikes; steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon. My current primary ride is a 2012 Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL2 Quick Step Team Edition frameset I built up with 2013 SRAM Red components, full Ritchey Pro carbon cockpit, and Mavic Kysrium SL wheelset. < 15 lbs. with pedals.

One baby aspirin per day, and last week started a prostate health supplement from NOW Foods for BPH symptoms, and I think it's working!

When in proper shape, I'm about 1-2 minutes slower per hilly 16-mile training ride (2,400 climbing) than I was 15 years ago.

Happy to say I've been biking mostly my whole life. I started in western Wisconsin where I grew up, then San Diego area during the 80s, Seattle area in the 90s, and since '96 world class riding here in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Though I own a MTN bike and 2 cross bikes, I rarely ride them. I'm a pretty dedicated roadie. My fitness ride out of my front door is a hilly 16-mile (2,400 climbing) out-and-back on little-traveled rural roads. Also ride up to the Mt. Rushmore Visitor's Center frequently in summer (sustained 3-mile 10-12% climb), along with riding up Needles Hwy. in Custer State Park. Lots of 40-80 mile rides, nearly all with considerable climbing. Peak moments include riding up Mount Adams, along with most of the other major Rockies peaks during three editions of the Rocky Mountain Bicycle Tour benefiting UC Denver Anschutz Cancer Center. Was also a hoot to ride up Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands. One of my remaining bucket list rides is to ride the complete Hurricane Ridge road in Olympic National Park; from sea level in Port Angeles, over 17 miles up to 5,240 ft. elevation at the end of the paved road.

During our tour years, 2500-4000 miles per year were done. More recently, lucky to break 500 miles past few years. My goal for this year is to again break 2000 miles.

Jeff
Rapid City, SD
Old 05-14-18, 06:58 AM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 51
Bikes - Jamis Supernova, Stump Jumper comp (2000)
Vitamins etc... - Zilis Edge and Ice, Maca, cacao, beta prostate, multi vitamin, krill oil, CoQ10, Red Yeast Rice, Zilis Arterosil, aspirin.
Slowed down? - Nope, sped up a little and started cranking out more miles.
How long biking- started serious biking in my 20s, but took a break for almost 20 years and started back up when my daughter took interest in biking.
Bikes for long/short rides- take the gravel bike or my old Miyata 914 on long rides, take the old stumpjumper on short rides.
How often do I ride- usually once or twice a week unless training for a big ride then usually two or three a week.
Me and a few other 50+ ers are planning a 100 mile ride. None of us have done it before. We are shooting to average 14 mph.
Old 05-15-18, 10:55 AM
stanman13
Not racing.

Bikes: Old rigid mtn bikes

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I just reached level 50 last month.

I prefer rigid mountain bikes. Main ride currently is a 1988(ish) Univega Range Rover, adapted for rail trail/bike path/town riding in the Grant Peterson style. Upright setup, friction shifting, fenders, etc. I still have (but have given to my son) my 1991 Giant Iguana which I purchased new. There is also a 1974 Schwinn Suburban in the stable which gets occasional use.

My wife keeps trying, but I've never been good at taking daily anything. So I do take a multi from time to time. I try to get the vitamins I need through diet.

A little, but still able to do what I want to do. I'm not as fast or as strong as I once was, but I also don't really care about that so much. I never was one to be worried about timing myself or anything like that. That's not in any way a judgement of those that do, I just never have been interested in it.

I've bikes my whole life, more or less. During my 20s and 30s I bicycled less and motorcycled more.

Recreational/fitness/just general enjoyment. Mostly up to 4 hour day trips on the weekends. Shorter during the week, as I am not able to bike to work so am limited to evenings. I've been considering adding in some S24Os,though.

3-4 times weekly. I have no idea about the mileage. I don't keep track in any way. That's not a change, I never have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.