Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Vets Day

Old 11-11-19, 09:33 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Vets Day

Think I'll go home and listen to the "Ballad of the Green Beret" and follow it with "Alice's Restaurant" After which I'll go out and shovel snow as a reality check.
Likes For rck:
Old 11-11-19, 11:44 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Dear America:
You're welcome.

Old 11-12-19, 10:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
The best thing we could do for vets (I am one) is to stop sending us to war. Also, start supporting us when we come home.
Old 11-12-19, 12:04 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
The best thing we could do for vets (I am one) is to stop sending us to war. Also, start supporting us when we come home.
I am one also and you are absolutely correct.
Frank.
Old 11-12-19, 06:07 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I'm also a Vet. Couldn't agree more. No, I'm not an isolationist, but I am someone who thinks we, collectively, should think long and hard before sending our forces into harm's way.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 11-12-19, 07:11 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I'm also a Vet. Couldn't agree more. No, I'm not an isolationist, but I am someone who thinks we, collectively, should think long and hard before sending our forces into harm's way.
...And stop sending soldiers into harm's way under the pretense of protecting our freedom when they are often sent there to protect the profits of greedy large corporation owners. I salute all of you who have served. I am highly suspicious of those who created the wars and conflicts you served in.
Old 11-12-19, 07:17 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 569 Posts
My sentiments exactly.
Old 11-12-19, 08:36 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I don't guess there will ever be a Conscientious Objector Day for the small number of us who did that. Highly unlikely.
Old 11-13-19, 09:35 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I don't guess there will ever be a Conscientious Objector Day for the small number of us who did that. Highly unlikely.
JanMM-Actually I respect the stand you took. I had a friend who did 2 years in a federal pen. for being a CO and one of the best medics I knew when I was Vietnam carried no weapons of any kind. No rifle, handgun, grenades etc.
Likes For rck:
Old 11-13-19, 04:41 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by rck
JanMM-Actually I respect the stand you took. I had a friend who did 2 years in a federal pen. for being a CO and one of the best medics I knew when I was Vietnam carried no weapons of any kind. No rifle, handgun, grenades etc.
The options during Vietnam were 1. Join military as non-combatant. 2. Don't cooperate with the draft and go to jail or flee to Canada. 3. Cooperate with selective service and perform 2 years of alternative service, which is what I did. Worked as a nursing assistant at a hospital in Chicago, which led, eventually, to a career in nursing. First hurdle was to persuade the local draft board that you really were a CO.
Old 11-13-19, 07:55 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I was drafted in 1967, and separated from active duty in 1969 after a year in Vietnam. In 1976 I joined the United States Peace Corps and served two years in Malaysia as a teacher. Plenty of people have thanked me for my military service. No one has ever thanked me for my Peace Corps service.
Likes For jackb:
Old 11-14-19, 08:14 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
And, imagine Iran sending their forces to a base in Canada or Mexico and then launching drones and sending forces into upstate NY or AZ because they want our natural resources or they want to support a nearby enemy of our country. Imagine one of those drones misses it's target and hits your child's school and kills kids. Or hits a hospital or a mall or your neighbor's house. I think I'd be pissed and join a militia to kill as many Iranians as I could. And, we wonder why we are hated just for being Americans?
Likes For bruce19:
Old 11-14-19, 08:16 AM
bruce19

Now I'm moving on. I just don't want to keep up this treadmill of turning citizens into killers/victims and then suffering the loss of good people.
Old 11-14-19, 01:11 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts
And, imagine Iran sending their forces to a base in Canada or Mexico and then launching drones and sending forces into upstate NY or AZ because they want our natural resources or they want to support a nearby enemy of our country. Imagine one of those drones misses it's target and hits your child's school and kills kids. Or hits a hospital or a mall or your neighbor's house. I think I'd be pissed and join a militia to kill as many Iranians as I could. And, we wonder why we are hated just for being Americans?
Well said. Unfortunately, our back-against-the-wall president really needs a good war right now to take the focus off his impeachment. Fingers crossed that there are grown-ups in the White House who won't let that happen.

And so we won't all get wiped from this thread for getting political, what do you think about the soldiers who used to ride bicycles into battle? Sounds like an awkward way, at best, to make your way through a storm of enemy fire.
Old 11-14-19, 06:49 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by jackb
I was drafted in 1967, and separated from active duty in 1969 after a year in Vietnam. In 1976 I joined the United States Peace Corps and served two years in Malaysia as a teacher. Plenty of people have thanked me for my military service. No one has ever thanked me for my Peace Corps service.
Thank you!
Old 11-14-19, 06:55 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by JanMM
Yup.
We had one on our company, was the company clerk. Nearly bought the farm January 31, 1968. Go figure. Nice guy by the way. Never gave his status a second thought.
Old 11-14-19, 06:58 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Well said. Unfortunately, our back-against-the-wall president really needs a good war right now to take the focus off his impeachment. Fingers crossed that there are grown-ups in the White House who won't let that happen.

And so we won't all get wiped from this thread for getting political, what do you think about the soldiers who used to ride bicycles into battle? Sounds like an awkward way, at best, to make your way through a storm of enemy fire.

Before it gets deep sixed.
Old 11-18-19, 01:37 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
...what do you think about the soldiers who used to ride bicycles into battle? Sounds like an awkward way, at best, to make your way through a storm of enemy fire.
It wasn't just soldiers, but also civilians using bicycles as military cargo carriers in Vietnam, bicycles were also used as cargo carriers through the jungle by the Japanese during WW2 in the Malay Peninsula culminating in their successful conquering of Singapore. These movements were seldom under direct enemy fire.

The Canadians did not ride their bicycles ashore on D-day.https://www.urkai.com/canadian-history-bicycles-in-war/
Old 11-27-19, 04:07 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
US Navy '57 to '61 here. At 80 years old I realize it is a special thing to have a DD-214. Thanks to all that do!!
Old 12-01-19, 10:52 AM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lost my sympathy for bike-related vets. As I have known `1 of such for several decades+. Later in the future, then come a day he is at my front door -- saying "I want my bike back." Saying the name of the bike he chose to give me, as I was in his bike shop -- years ago. As I was expressing how much I admired it. But then in a future time, he ordered a source of his, who owned the bike -- to transfer it to Me. But of this Vet, who related to The Bike Shop: I also had situation with him in which he called me & wanted to know how much I would sell a specific Campagnolo component for. As he claim to have a customer who want to switch components from the frame the customer had. But the Vet was expecting to get a lower price from me, than what an online price would have been. As I was only going to sell what online price was paid for.. I requested contact of who this buying source was; but I was never told who it was. This was the only time we talked about product value and or selling value, in entire chat: as I was waiting for him to open the questions of such topic against me -- as he was in the business of selling. But he never did bring the questions.
But unfortunately I was in a situation that I had to sell a selected bike I had. As this Vet been an experienced vintage bike seller -- whom I had done repeated/past business with. And of never any trouble. I assigned him to sell my such bike for Me. But NOW rather he attempted take off without any compensation. As his past/original business practice was paying a commission. (But After) I now gave him control of my bike, another Valid source showed me proof of the Vet selling (what was my) 'bike' rather as broken down.
At a later time, he comes back -- making a total cash compensation payment that be no more than 25% value what I would have asked for.
Since then, I have lost trust in reputation of "vets."

Last edited by molten; 12-01-19 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add more detail
Old 12-01-19, 05:29 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
I've lost my sympathy for bike-related vets. As I have known `1 of such for several decades+. Later in the future, then come a day he is at my front door -- saying "I want my bike back." Saying the name of the bike he chose to give me, as I was in his bike shop -- years ago. As I was expressing how much I admired it. But then in a future time, he ordered a source of his, who owned the bike -- to transfer it to Me. But of this Vet, who related to The Bike Shop: I also had situation with him in which he called me & wanted to know how much I would sell a specific Campagnolo component for. As he claim to have a customer who want to switch components from the frame the customer had. But the Vet was expecting to get a lower price from me, than what an online price would have been. As I was only going to sell what online price was paid for.. I requested contact of who this buying source was; but I was never told who it was. This was the only time we talked about product value and or selling value, in entire chat: as I was waiting for him to open the questions of such topic against me -- as he was in the business of selling. But he never did bring the questions.
But unfortunately I was in a situation that I had to sell a selected bike I had. As this Vet been an experienced vintage bike seller -- whom I had done repeated/past business with. And of never any trouble. I assigned him to sell my such bike for Me. But NOW rather he attempted take off without any compensation. As his past/original business practice was paying a commission. (But After) I now gave him control of my bike, another Valid source showed me proof of the Vet selling (what was my) 'bike' rather as broken down.
At a later time, he comes back -- making a total cash compensation payment that be no less than 25% commission what I would have asked for.
Losing trust in all veterans over something like this is like losing trust in all school teachers for the actions of one bad school teacher.
Old 12-01-19, 06:22 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Vet sure not be of young generation. He be of Old-School attitude.
Old 12-02-19, 12:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
At a later time, he comes back -- making a total cash compensation payment that be no more than 25% value what I would have asked for.
Is this the same guy who took your trainer?