Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstands

Old 11-12-19, 06:06 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't mind racks and fenders, they are very useful ..but I hate kickstands, they are useless I would never put one on any of my bikes. You don't need a kickstand, you can lay your bike on the ground or lean it against something.
I like leaning my bikes onto their kickstands. If I lay my bikes on the ground that means I gotta bend over, which means my shirt will come untucked, which means I'll be exposing the public to a case of plumbers butt. So, I like kickstands for the sake of public decency. Y'all can thank me later.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-12-19, 06:11 PM
macbobster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I like leaning my bikes onto their kickstands. If I lay my bikes on the ground that means I gotta bend over, which means my shirt will come untucked, which means I'll be exposing the public to a case of plumbers butt. So, I like kickstands for the sake of public decency. Y'all can thank me later.
Thank you kindly. I didn't come right out and say it, but bending over does have drawbacks (more than one)!
Likes For macbobster:
Old 11-12-19, 06:15 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Consider submitting this to Duluth Trading as an ad line, you might make some $$.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 11-12-19, 06:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't mind racks and fenders, they are very useful ..but I hate kickstands, they are useless I would never put one on any of my bikes. You don't need a kickstand, you can lay your bike on the ground or lean it against something.
A kickstand is great if you're keeping your bike in your hotel room. I just found that out.

When I really found them the most useful was when I had the baby trailer attached. Not always easy to line up a place to lean it, and laying it down is awkward at best.
Old 11-12-19, 06:36 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Consider submitting this to Duluth Trading as an ad line, you might make some $$.
Strikes close to home.

Old 11-12-19, 07:56 PM
macbobster

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Setting aside the supposed issue of coolness (nobody really cares who does or doesn't use a kickstand), installing a kickstand on an aluminum bike such as your Cannondale is almost guaranteed to result in frame damage. Even Surly says that installing a kickstand on their frames, which are all built with high-quality steel, voids the warranty.

If you want to avoid damaging the frame, you should consider installing a rear-wheel kickstand, which is much less likely to damage the frame.
Like this: https://upstandingbicycle.com/shop/the-upstand/
Likes For macbobster:
Old 11-12-19, 07:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Oddly enough the place where kick stands come in handy is in my garage. There's only so much space to lean or hang bikes, and I have to move things around to get at the stuff in the way back. Many bikes won't take a kickstand due to delicate frames or no good mounting scheme. Those also seem to be the more sporty bikes in the family fleet. Fine. The bikes that can accommodate kickstands, have them. They are for commuting, shopping, getting around town.

I attended a large organized group ride that was non-competitive. A large number of "nice" bikes had kickstands. If I noticed anything, it was that older riders were more likely to have kickstands. Maybe it's just a habit from our childhood, when every Schwinn had a built-in kickstand whether you wanted one or not.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-12-19, 09:18 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Old 11-12-19, 09:30 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
When I got my first carbon fiber bike about 3 years ago, it was hard for this old dog to learn the new trick of managing a bike without a kickstand. But even after a hard learned lesson that resulted in a big paint chip on the top tube (still makes me sick), I have gotten used to not having one now and have progressively gotten better at the art of leaning, despite my original disdain for it.
Old 11-12-19, 11:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Oddly enough the place where kick stands come in handy is in my garage. There's only so much space to lean or hang bikes, and I have to move things around to get at the stuff in the way back. Many bikes won't take a kickstand due to delicate frames or no good mounting scheme. Those also seem to be the more sporty bikes in the family fleet. Fine. The bikes that can accommodate kickstands, have them. They are for commuting, shopping, getting around town.

I attended a large organized group ride that was non-competitive. A large number of "nice" bikes had kickstands. If I noticed anything, it was that older riders were more likely to have kickstands. Maybe it's just a habit from our childhood, when every Schwinn had a built-in kickstand whether you wanted one or not.

The older I get, the less I like bending over to pick up stuff, so that could also explain the age difference.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-13-19, 05:44 AM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
for the delicate bikes that won't take a kickstand. look at a greenfield sks2b rear stay kickstand. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Greenfield-...UAAOSwyFddZc-m

i had one on my CF specialized roubaix for 4 years without any problems. it was nice to be able to support the bike without leaning it against something and messing up the paint. they work great. now i have a CF specialized roubaix disc brake bike and can't use one. the disc brakes mount where you would mount the kickstand.
Old 11-13-19, 09:48 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster
If you have a kickstand on your bike you're NOT cool, so they say. I put one on and I'm feeling OK. When we ride the centuries I'll take off the rack, fenders and kickstand (about 2 pounds). Then I'll be cooler.
I have kickstands on most of my bikes and don't worry about coolness. Center mount ESGE or Greenfields, rear axle mount Greenfields, center mount Twinn on the touring bike. When you're as far beyond coolness as I am you can even advertise.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 11-20-19, 05:53 PM
FunCommuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A kickstand comes in handy on my commuter when I’m bungee strapping my lunchbox to the back rack. I dropped it several times while doing that before I got a stand. The bike I ride just to ride doesn’t have one.
Old 11-20-19, 06:27 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
A kickstand (Center mounted), Rear view mirror and bell are essential to any bike I buy. I use them all the time. I also have a rack, trunk bag, compass, small computer, 2 small lights and a water bottle. With 9 "things" on my handle bar, There isn't much room left. If it makes my commuting safer or more convenient, I'll put it on. Coolness isn't even a factor. I'd have fenders too if used this bike for commuting.
Old 11-20-19, 08:04 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I have never had a bike that did not have a kick stand. My current Giant Escape disc did not come with a kick stand, but one was easily put on at the LBS before I brought it home.

Last edited by jskash; 11-21-19 at 06:07 AM.
Likes For jskash:
Old 11-21-19, 03:23 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I need a central/two-legged kickstand but haven't found one yet that'll fit the full-sus e-tandem.
Old 11-21-19, 05:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I need a central/two-legged kickstand but haven't found one yet that'll fit the full-sus e-tandem.
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/530...g-center-stand
Old 11-21-19, 08:08 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Haha cheers, but if they ship that to England it'll be about 300 quid... I hadn't considered motorcycle ones or that they'd be in light alloy, I'll have a look nearby.
Old 11-21-19, 08:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,794 Times in 1,796 Posts
Nice bike. I switched my '93 Univega Via Carisma from flat bars to Nitto albatross, so it also needed a longer stem. It's now wearing a 120mm or 130mm off a road bike. Pretty similar to your setup.

I removed the kickstand awhile back so I could thoroughly clean and inspect the bike. But I think I'll put it back on.

And I'm going to put a double kickstand on my errand bike. The original single leg was too wobbly, but it needs a kickstand when I'm hauling full panniers. And it already has a massively strong plate between the chain stays for a double kickstand.

Now that I have a couple of road bikes to satisfy my pretensions that weight and aero matter (at my age with a cranky engine, it doesn't matter much) I can quit trying to make a perfectly comfy 30 lb hybrid "faster" by omitting a sensible bit of metal that doesn't weigh enough to notice.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-21-19, 08:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,794 Times in 1,796 Posts
BTW, nothing wrong with stem shifters. I've used them. But if you try bar end shifters with swept handlebars I'm betting you'll like them.

Main advantage is keeping the hands on the grips while shifting, if anything unexpected occurs - rut or pothole, debris, etc.

I'm not sure I'd like bar end shifters on drop bars (I'm about to find out with a road bike project) but they're darned near perfect for swept bars.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-21-19, 05:30 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
That's a nice looking bicycle.

A number of years ago I was looking at getting a Surly LHT frame from a local bicycle shop. I was very interested in that frame until I found out that putting a kickstand on it would void the warranty. I even corresponded directly with Surly and was told by Surly that yes, putting a kickstand on a LHT did indeed void the warranty. Perhaps they've changed their policy since then. Voiding the warranty by putting a kickstand on the frame killed my interest in that Surly frame.

I had an MTB years ago that I used for extended logging/mining road touring. My friend had one too. Sometimes when touring or even just riding around certain areas there is no convenient place to lean a bicycle especially a loaded one. I've been in many areas where leaning the bicycle against the small trees there would result in the bicycle falling over. That's true of many of the rail-trails near where I live too. The bicycles my friend and I had had TWO kickstands each on them. One kickstand was a chainstay mounted one and the other was mounted at the rear onto t he chainstay and seatstay. With those we did NOT have to lay the bicycles down when we stopped or when we load up or gear onto the bicycles.

Like I said, sometimes there's nothing nearby to lean your bicycle against such as in this old photo.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-21-19, 07:39 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Miele Man

Like I said, sometimes there's nothing nearby to lean your bicycle against such as in this old photo.

Cheers
Cool old photo.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-21-19, 09:40 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Cool old photo.
Thanks.

That's my friend's old NORCO BIGFOOT.

Where I live now there are a lot of farms not far from town. There often is nowhere to lean a bicycle around when I stop for a break or to take images. I also sometimes carry a small stove with me on which I'll cook a quick meal or heat a mug of tea or coffee. It's nice to have the bicycle standing up whilst I get stuff out of a pannier or put it back in a pannier.

That being said, I have seen slightly crushed chainstays or bent kickstand top-plates where the kickstand was installed by some ham-fisted ogre who figured you have to reef on the bolt until it can move ant more. I find a bit of locktite or other thread locker on a kickstand top-plate bolt along with a rubber shim under and over the kickstand plates works wonder for keeping the kickstand in place in use. I've never had one of mine come loose.

Another thing I like on my touring bicycles that many will ridicule, is a "Dork Disc" aka spoke protector. When I'm miles away from home and if a chain should for some reason derail into the spokes I like to know that the spoke protector is there to protect the spokes from getting chewed up or worse breaking. When you're bouncing over big stones and or ruts on dirt roads that spoke protector is nice added insurance against having to walk many miles back to civilization.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 12-28-19, 02:11 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Similar concept, I have a Click-Stand for my Surly Ogre. As others have mentioned, leaning a bike on the ground with a trailer attached can be a concern.

Click-Stand Home Page

Last edited by westrid_dad; 12-28-19 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-28-19, 09:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
If you have a kickstand on your bike you're NOT cool, so they say. I put one on and I'm feeling OK. When we ride the centuries I'll take off the rack, fenders and kickstand (about 2 pounds). Then I'll be cooler.
I don't see a kickstand - what am I overlooking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.