Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me your cat

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me your cat

Old 11-23-19, 05:43 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Tis the season..Ollie contemplating candles. Fireplace is 80 yrs old, pretty inefficient in terms impacts on the house heating, sealed off the damper.

Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 11-23-19, 06:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
So, is this forum biased against Dogs?

All the dog threads seem to be about dogs chasing bicycles. Not cuddly canines.
Old 11-23-19, 09:26 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I've been working on Latte.

She will move her head around a bit, but accepts the harness fine. We've tried walking a bit, but so far it is only if she wants to go somewhere.

Mostly I still stuff her inside of my coat, and use the leash as a control just in case she gets away for some reason.

She will walk on the leash, but only if I can motivate her to want to go in the direction I'm going.

I don't like dragging her, but perhaps that will be part of the training. More treats?

She likes the bike trailer, but really likes her litter box. I'm still working on trying to break her of her litter training.
CliffordK, it's definitely not like walking a dog. There's frequently some tugging at the leash necessary to get him to go, but he's learned to recognize the tug, and he's getting a little better at moving in a generally forward direction. I haven't tried a trailer -- maybe he'd be into it!
Old 11-23-19, 09:49 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by countalmaviva
CliffordK, it's definitely not like walking a dog. There's frequently some tugging at the leash necessary to get him to go, but he's learned to recognize the tug, and he's getting a little better at moving in a generally forward direction. I haven't tried a trailer -- maybe he'd be into it!
When I pull on the leash, I get a hunch back. I can still drag her, but it seems unpleasant (unless I have to pull her out from under something). I have tried the retractable small dog leash. At first she was resisting it, but then I just anchored it and let her play... other than a few tangles, it seemed to work. More practice later.

I posted a photo of the cat trailer earlier.

This is a converted Bike Friday cargo trailer. It is slightly narrower than their suitcase trailers.

The conversion is easy. 3 screws and it is on there.

This carrying case came without a bottom. The pad is a previously used, dirty, smelly, fleece shirt.

A plastic shopping bag fits over the cage door for some rain and wind protection if needed.

Her litter box is a full plastic Samsonite Makeup/Medicinine case with no interior. I'll post a photo later. She does use it at home, but doesn't like it on the road.

I'm not quite sure why she seems to like the bike trailer better than the pickup. She doesn't like noisy vehicles, but seems to have habituated to that with the bike trailer. She does like to talk to me, so a little more distance from my face may help.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-28-19, 02:25 PM
CliffordK

Latte, Hotel Camping.

I still don't have her trained to go outside to do her business. So, "portable litter box".

The tent keeps it all contained.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-30-19, 09:36 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 121 Posts
Buddy picked out his favorite saddle.
Likes For 76SLT:
Old 12-01-19, 07:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
I had a cat named Booger who would walk with me and the dogs. I might have tried a leash on him, though I'm not sure. I'm sure if I tried it, it didn't work. But he stuck with us often. And we would get as far as a mile from the house. Then he would disappear and cross the properties diagonally and beat us home.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-06-19, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I had a cat named Booger who would walk with me
my girlfriend & I had one that did this as well, when we 1st moved to Boston. we lived on Beacon Hill & would walk, the 3 of us, to the Boston Common, to hang out. the cat would chase squirrels. then the 3 of us would walk home home together. never used a leash on that cat
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-06-19, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

our 3 Coon cats are about 10 yrs old & we always just gave them dry food, with rare exceptions. our black cat can use another pound or two tho. trying to fatten up this skinny cat w/ some tempting canned wet food. it's hit or miss, so I'me trying to keep track of what he does & does not like. thought I'd share. in case this helps anyone. & please share any favorites!

these 2 are a YES

this is a NO

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-10-19 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-06-19, 10:57 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
our 3 Coon cats are about 10 yrs old & we always just gave them dry food, with rare exceptions. our black cat can use another pound or two tho. trying to fatten up this skinny cat w/ some tempting canned wet food. it's hit or miss, so I'me trying to keep track of what he does & does not like. thought I'd share. in case this helps anyone. & please share any favorites!
My kitten is still growing, so she gets all the dry she can eat, and gets it spiked with moist a few times a day. She is pretty good at paying attention to me, but ohhh... she likes a bite of good food!!!

If I give her a mid-day snack while out on the town, it is moist only as she'll barely eat away from home.

I just giver her 1 spoonfull a few times a day, and find the "Pate" foods are easier to feed. 9-Lives in the 4 pack is the cheapest I've found so far. So, she gets a different flavor ever few days, and so far hasn't complained.

I thought all the catfood cans came with free plastic lids, but that must have been from a bygone era. Anyway, lids are cheap on E-Bay.

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 12-06-19, 11:04 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Good luck. Our two cats (10 and 17) are both on wet food for various reasons.

It took a lot of trial and error to find wet food that they would consistently eat and that would not give them stomach problems. Of course, both cats eat different food because why make it easy?

We'd buy a bunch of different varieties and keep track until we found one that was consistent. Also, I try to avoid the big brands like Purina and Friskies etc. because they're the ones that regularly have some sort of contamination issue and recall.

I bring all this up because one of the foods that was a hit -- Nutro Max Cat -- is being discontinued. This is for the elderly 17-year-old cat who by the way is on her third year of chemotherapy pills (the vet gave her a prognosis of 6 months when we started and she's still going strong) and recently just started insulin shots for diabetes. Like, this cat has all kinds of problems but she still keeps plugging away and she's still very sweet and happy and lively so whatever, we'll do what we can for her.

It's frustrating because now we have to play the whole fancy-expensive-canned-cat-food-roulette again until we find something that she will eat.

(The other cat eats Royal Canin and it's been a pretty solid choice for her.)
Likes For ksryder:
Old 12-06-19, 12:09 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by ksryder
food that they would consistently eat and that would not give them stomach problems
in the last year of one of our other cats, Wifey would boil chicken, then pull it apart & use a blender to combine it with regular boiled rice. it turned to a very satisfactory soft food that stayed down
Old 12-06-19, 12:11 PM
rumrunn6

pate & lids
hmmm, ok thanks will look for that. & lids! oh yeah, I barely remember lids from our wet food days! thanks! cuz using tin foil is getting old
Old 12-07-19, 10:09 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
I had a male cat who would get crystals in his urine (I think they're similar to kidney stones). Apparently, that's not uncommon in male cats. The vet said to take measures to get him to drink more water, which included a fountain and wet food. Canned food isn't just for getting them to put on weight.

Anyway, my cats loved Friskies canned food for years, then Petco stopped carrying it because it's not all-natural.
I've found that my cats do not like Whole Earth Farms.
They do like Blue Wilderness, but specifically the flaked seafood flavors.
They also like all the flavors of Merrick that I've tried, and Wellness Core brand.

Also, I've always broken up their canned food into bite-size bits with a fork before I serve it to them.
Likes For RichSPK:
Old 12-07-19, 03:36 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
I had a male cat who would get crystals in his urine (I think they're similar to kidney stones). Apparently, that's not uncommon in male cats. The vet said to take measures to get him to drink more water, which included a fountain and wet food. Canned food isn't just for getting them to put on weight.

Anyway, my cats loved Friskies canned food for years, then Petco stopped carrying it because it's not all-natural.
I've found that my cats do not like Whole Earth Farms.
They do like Blue Wilderness, but specifically the flaked seafood flavors.
They also like all the flavors of Merrick that I've tried, and Wellness Core brand.

Also, I've always broken up their canned food into bite-size bits with a fork before I serve it to them.
Ours are on the same canned food. We have 3 - one who would eat everything in sight, the others would just graze.

Our neighbors have a cat feeder that has a chip reader built in. You can program it so that it opens the door to the food when the skinny cats stick their heads next to the bowl. When the piggy cat comes by it wouldn't open.
Likes For ericy:
Old 12-07-19, 11:37 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
Ours are on the same canned food. We have 3 - one who would eat everything in sight, the others would just graze.

Our neighbors have a cat feeder that has a chip reader built in. You can program it so that it opens the door to the food when the skinny cats stick their heads next to the bowl. When the piggy cat comes by it wouldn't open.
We have one of those feeders also. It is programmed so it opens for finicky 11-pound Pumpkin and not his brother 21-pound Mango. Littermates, even! You can never tell.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 12-10-19, 11:28 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
The cold days were coming here, too.
Momo seized the tile stove from the other cats.
So far, there has been no veto on this one-sided decision ...

Last edited by Old Fireleg; 12-10-19 at 02:36 PM.
Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 12-10-19, 01:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,710 Times in 1,483 Posts
My "do you need all those bikes" other (I only have 3) got a new allergist and was told she was not alllergic to cats afterall

so this is now in the house. he is not siamese, but talks more than any siamese I have ever been around.....hence the name of "MowMow"

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-10-19, 04:25 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked 4,479 Times in 1,731 Posts
Felix likes watching the Sunday evening soccer competition wrap-up:

Old 12-10-19, 05:07 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Felix likes watching the Sunday evening soccer competition wrap-up:
Odd,

My cat doesn't seem to pay any attention to the CRT. I suppose I need a bigger one!!!

She can spot a live dog a half mile away. But, she doesn't even notice a dog or cat on TV.
Old 12-11-19, 10:49 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked 4,479 Times in 1,731 Posts
Odd,

My cat doesn't seem to pay any attention to the CRT. I suppose I need a bigger one!!!

She can spot a live dog a half mile away. But, she doesn't even notice a dog or cat on TV.
Bigger & higher resolution.

So you can play this (was a huge hit here, until mrs non-fixie decided she wanted her TV back):

Old 12-11-19, 12:43 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 258 Posts

So you can play this (was a huge hit here, until mrs non-fixie decided she wanted her TV back):
Bird videos are great - until the cat launches into the screen. Ask me how I know...

Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 12-11-19, 02:46 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
So, is this forum biased against Dogs?

All the dog threads seem to be about dogs chasing bicycles. Not cuddly canines.
Three years ago, Maggie talked me into getting a dog to go along with the two cats. Now, this in itself is a major accomplishment, because I HATE dogs . . . . . and my cycling life hasn't helped. The ten years I was riding in Montpelier, I was bitten on an average of once every two years. And in two cases, the owner had to drag me off of his dog before I wrung its neck. Yes, I'm capable of an insane temper, if properly motivated.

Then we got Harley. Who turned out to be the perfect dog for someone who doesn't like dogs. Like a cat, he moved into the house, figured out his place in the house within 24 hours, and has lived it.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 12-11-19, 03:36 PM
CliffordK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOpDIGgePCM

Ok, her ears did perk up with the tweets. Then when I showed her the computer screen I could see her following when the bird fluttered off the screen.
Old 12-11-19, 05:35 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Tv

Bird!

Shhhh...he’s about to set the float...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.