Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Old 12-04-19, 11:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Might have something to do with the stock having spiked to its all-time high the day before. Basically, that $942 million of value only existed for about 24 hours.
Peloton prices have been dropping all morning. It's Christmas time. People are panicking. I can feel it. They are worried that they won't have enough money to buy their kids the G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu grip. And their wives won't make love to them because they don't have any money. So the people with the Peloton stock are out there screaming "Sell! Sell!" It's currently down another 4.6% to $31.94. I am going to wait until $29.00. I'll have cleared out all the suckers by then.
Old 12-04-19, 12:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Peloton prices have been dropping all morning. It's Christmas time. People are panicking. I can feel it. They are worried that they won't have enough money to buy their kids the G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu grip. And their wives won't make love to them because they don't have any money. So the people with the Peloton stock are out there screaming "Sell! Sell!" It's currently down another 4.6% to $31.94. I am going to wait until $29.00. I'll have cleared out all the suckers by then.
Planet Fitness is down today. They better install a kung fu grip machine.
Old 12-04-19, 01:21 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Pfft! So much fail. I'm buying my wife a vacuum cleaner for less than HALF the price of one of those lame Pelotons. Think of the exercise she'll get workin' that plastic beauty all over the house. Gonna pick up a couple pairs of snazzy dish washing gloves as stocking stuffers too. She's gonna LOVE IT! Best. Christmas. Ever.

-Kedosto
Old 12-04-19, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Pfft! So much fail. I'm buying my wife a vacuum cleaner for less than HALF the price of one of those lame Pelotons. Think of the exercise she'll get workin' that plastic beauty all over the house. Gonna pick up a couple pairs of snazzy dish washing gloves as stocking stuffers too. She's gonna LOVE IT! Best. Christmas. Ever.

-Kedosto

So will you be moving the couch to go inside the doghouse in the guest room?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-04-19, 01:35 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Made the Boston Globe (Yeah, you might not be able to get past the paywall, don't worry about it. Not much to see here other than what's reported everywhere.)

Except the very weak "local" angle is that she is "Grace from Boston." (No relation to @Jim from Boston?)

-mr. bill
Old 12-04-19, 02:09 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 583 Posts

-Kedosto
Why, that's a swell idea Ward! I'm sure the Missus is just gonna love it!

Likes For badger1:
Old 12-04-19, 02:14 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I've seen that ad. I am not at all offended. Basically, I don't care.However, it is silly and makes no sense. It's just a crap ad.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-04-19, 02:18 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

This one....I'm in the critic camp. If you actually want to know what the fuss is....it isn't hard to find op-eds unpacking it:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/pel...lease-help-her

Sorry but I don't see it. It's just a bad commercial with bad acting, looking into it this deeply is only projecting one's own feelings into it.
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-04-19, 04:16 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81

Peloton loses $942MILLION of its market value in a single day amid furious backlash over its 'sexist' holiday ad that caused stock to drop nearly 10 per cent

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nearly-10.html
All because of a bunch of politically correct liberal SJWs decided to make a big issue out of nothing.
Old 12-04-19, 04:31 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
I gave my wife a new mower for her birthday this year, and I still get to sleep in the house. (It was a really nice mower.)
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-04-19, 05:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81

Peloton loses $942MILLION of its market value in a single day amid furious backlash over its 'sexist' holiday ad that caused stock to drop nearly 10 per cent

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nearly-10.html
Originally Posted by wolfchild
All because of a bunch of politically correct liberal SJWs decided to make a big issue out of nothing.
Oh, the humanity!

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-04-19, 05:26 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
every time I see this commercial my kid laughs when she is in bed and says, "6AM yay"

commercial isn't offensive to me I guess. the bikes are really spendy. A coworker has one. His wife wanted it. Its really cool but its 40$ a month. Its crazy but its cool.
Old 12-04-19, 05:30 PM
indyfabz

Pfft! So much fail. I'm buying my wife a vacuum cleaner for less than HALF the price of one of those lame Pelotons.

-Kedosto
I hope it’s a Miele vacuum or she might cut you off. Costs about half a Peleton without the subscription, but the bags and filters are relatively expensive for a vacuum. Ask me how I know.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-04-19, 05:30 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Outrage indeed. Excuse me while I . . .

Old 12-04-19, 06:58 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I hope it’s a Miele vacuum or she might cut you off. Costs about half a Peleton without the subscription, but the bags and filters are relatively expensive for a vacuum. Ask me how I know.
I agree.
My wife wanted one, so she bought it. Way over priced as are Dysons in my opinion, both designed by people who never used their "creations" much.
I still prefer our old upright Bissell.
​​​​
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 12-04-19, 07:02 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Yeah, I complained (silently) when she wanted that outrageously priced Dyson ten years ago, but there it is, in the corner, still truckin'.
Old 12-04-19, 08:04 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
If you consider that the product is tailored towards an upwardly mobile, affluent class of women who are probably university educated, socially aware and well versed in feminist issues/concerns, I would say it's the target market correcting the messenger.

What? intelligent professional women don't like to be portrayed as not being in control of their own decisions or purchases? Surely someone that sells a social media product that relies on high connectivity did a study group first...
Old 12-04-19, 08:24 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I agree.
My wife wanted one, so she bought it. Way over priced as are Dysons in my opinion, both designed by people who never used their "creations" much.
I still prefer our old upright Bissell.
​​​​
I use mine all the time. Far superior, especially if you have pets. And it comes with lots of attachments. Well worth my $975 for the C3 Cat & Dog Complete.
Old 12-04-19, 08:32 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
"A gift or a present is an item given to someone without the expectation of payment or anything in return."

So if a husband gifts his wife with a Peloton spin bike as a gift then he expects nothing in return. Or else it wasn't a GIFT!

So to all those ranting and crying about Peloton not being politically correct, please quit calling the spin bike in the ad a GIFT. I mean if you're all so concerned about being Correct and all.......

You can't call it a gift and Sexist in the same breath and be correct on both accounts.
Old 12-04-19, 08:32 PM
indyfabz

Should I be equally outraged over that current car commercial? GMC, IIRC. Wife buys his and her watches. Dude buys his and hers vehicles. She takes the one the dude thought he had bought for himself. So wrong on so many levels?
Old 12-04-19, 08:56 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Should I be equally outraged over that current car commercial? GMC, IIRC. Wife buys his and her watches. Dude buys his and hers vehicles. She takes the one the dude thought he had bought for himself. So wrong on so many levels?
It depends.......

If you want to be progressive, then your outrage should be selective.
Old 12-04-19, 08:56 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Made the Boston Globe (Yeah, you might not be able to get past the paywall, don't worry about it. Not much to see here other than what's reported everywhere.)

Except the very weak "local" angle is that she is "Grace from Boston." (No relation to @Jim from Boston?)

-mr. bill
I have been reading this thread, but with no intention to reply. But thanks @mr_bill for the nod, and for the reference to the Boston Globe. My wife does subscribe, and now have to read it though no relation to Grace from Boston.

Indeed, I’m surprised that such a seemingly un-PC ad would be launched in our People’s Republic though there is a Peleton store in the Prudential Center in tony Back Bay.
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
If you consider that the product is tailored towards an upwardly mobile, affluent class of women who are probably university educated, socially aware and well versed in feminist issues/concerns, I would say it's the target market correcting the messenger.

What? intelligent professional women don't like to be portrayed as not being in control of their own decisions or purchases? Surely someone that sells a social media product that relies on high connectivity did a study group first...
A woman professional in our organization, seemingly independent and “liberated” has in the past highly touted her Peleton to me.

My wife and I were active cycling tourists in the 70s and 80s
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Our relationship was early on very bicycle-centered, including a cross-country cycling honeymoon, so she does not give me a hard time about continuing cycling.
I cycle commute and she rides the Charles River Bikepath and regularly works out, usually at Healthworks (a gym for Women).
Pfft! So much fail. I'm buying my wife a vacuum cleaner for less than HALF the price of one of those lame Pelotons. Think of the exercise she'll get workin' that plastic beauty all over the house.

Gonna pick up a couple pairs of snazzy dish washing gloves as stocking stuffers too. She's gonna LOVE IT! Best. Christmas. Ever.

-Kedosto
Originally Posted by badger1
Why, that's a swell idea Ward! I'm sure the Missus is just gonna love it!
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So will you be moving the couch to go inside the doghouse in the guest room?
On occasion when asked what I'm buying my wife for special occasion, I reply, “a lovely ironing board cover.”

But seriously folks, I recently posted,
…My wife and I have frequently gone dining and/or dancing in Malden [MA]. I have a new colleague at work and I learned he had previously lived in Malden.

When I told him we went there on almost every Saturday night, he replied, "Nobody goes to Malden."
˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-04-19 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-04-19, 08:58 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
˄˄˄˄

I posted last year to this thread on Foo:

Gifts that were bought for you but were actually for the giver.”

I once heard a comedian do a sketch on “gift escalationwhere as the relationship grows, one tries to give better gifts, unendingly, and often not to be used. For a decades-plus anniversary I bought my wife pearl earrings that she doesn’t wear.

I thought of an “escape clause” where one would buy their own gift, wrap it, and give it to the “giver” to give back. That way one would always receive a gift that he/she really wanted, and the “giver” would likely learn something about the “recipient” they might not have known.

PS: The "giver" is also spared the time and anxiety of looking for that "perfect gift."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-04-19 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-04-19, 10:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
My wife and I were active cycling tourists in the 70s and 80s I cycle commute and she rides the Charles River Bikepath and regularly works out, usually at Healthworks (a gym for Women). ˅
That would be the definition and perfect example of sexism .... I hope she doesn't ride a Peloton there.

Old 12-05-19, 01:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Happy Feet

My sense watching the ad is the problem isn't really the storyline, it's her performance. There's something creepy about her excessive displays of excitement and gratitude, and I think women are finding that portrayal extremely condescending.

No question this ad is a colossal own goal. Any man considering giving this as a gift is now getting the message women may find it insulting.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.