Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-01-20, 01:28 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

This morning I received a red light ticket on Riverside Drive heading back from a 9W ride. While riding I saw another cyclist in the opposite direction shout to me and a few other cyclists that were riding to watch out at the lights, they’re giving tickets. It was funny because when I started the ride to 9W this morning I saw two cyclists get pulled over right in front of me as they blew through the light. So I knew for a fact to stop at them, which I try to do anyhow. Anyway, I got popped on West 145 street and Riverside drive by an officer. Here is what happened in detail.

Approaching the light, I was fully stopped and unclipped from my pedals. I was patiently waiting for the light to change especially after what the other cyclist shouted in the opposite direction to watch out for the cops at the lights. So the light began to change from yellow and I clipped in. At this time, I began to sit down and slowly push forward as all the cars were stopped and underneath the signal my light was green. I get pulled over about a minute later and the officer tells me that I ran the light.

I argued that no I did not officer. I was stopped at the light and when it went from yellow to green I clipped into my pedals and slowly proceeded to go and it was green when I was underneath it. She says, “You know lights change from Red to Green right. I said I understand that, but on the other side of the traffic light it was yellow and that was when I clipped in to get ready to move on my bike. She says “Your story is far different from what you did”. She goes on to say that I was behind two cyclists that were behind you at the light, and YOU WERE STOPPED but then decided to go when the light was still red. I said offer, I did not run that red light because I know I didn’t I wouldn’t have waited all that time at the light just to blow through it. Anyway, she ended up giving me a ticket. I was going to plead not guilty and take her to court to share the details with the traffic court as to what happened. I also have a video above that I managed to pull footage from. Check it out, I wanted some thoughts… Pay the price or plead not guilty.

Likes For illjustride:
Old 02-01-20, 01:47 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
Sounds like you got a deserved ticket. Can’t stand red light runners, gives the rest of us a bad rep.

Where I live no light goes from yellow to green.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-01-20, 01:58 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I'm unclear. In the middle part of the video you're saying you did it. Do you really want to post that online?

Only you know. Was the light green when you entered the intersection, or was it not?

If you got ticketed for forward motion without entering the intersection, then that sounds like a bad call by the policeperson.

Where I come from $25 is a lot of money and not something to ignore. $190 is like WTF.

Sorry you got popped, that sucks.

Last edited by rseeker; 02-01-20 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 02:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly, the OP was watching the light for cross traffic, and started his motion when the light for cross traffic was yellow, or as I've always called it, "jumping the light."

Sounds to me like another victim of Tolerance Zero or Zero Whatsits or whatever the hell NYC is calling it's policy of punishing cyclists and pedestrians for getting run over in ever greater numbers.

That said, any video of the intersection crossing in question? Without that, it's your word against the traffic cop, and NYC strikes me as one of those places that pays the officers to go to court days.

Here in California, most jurisdictions don't give a crap about cyclists at all. I've jumped lights directly in front of a police car, they don't even take notice.

The extent of my police interaction has been a cop (who currently had a homeless guy off of his bike) pointing and giving me a thumbs up for wearing a helmet.
Old 02-01-20, 02:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
So, the cross traffic light turned yellow when you started... SAFELY?

I find that many judges, especially lower court judges have a very black and white view of the world. No extenuating circumstances.

Nonetheless, one might argue that many cities have started a Pedestrians First for the crosswalks, and that bicycle safety depends on vigilance and visibility.

Was there turning traffic crossing your path?

Any other reason necessitating jumping the light, or were you just impatient?
Old 02-01-20, 02:04 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Seems like the answer to encouraging cycling, and to improve cycling safely, is to crack down on cyclists doing things that don't impact or hurt anyone except make for less traffic and improve air quality. Brilliant.

If I were you, I'd pay the money and be happy you weren't shot and arrested (in that order).
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 02-01-20, 02:05 PM
SayWatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would go to court and plead not guilty. In my limited experience with tickets it’s always worked in my favor to do so. Spengler reread his post lol.
Old 02-01-20, 02:07 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,174 Posts
I know what you are saying. I pull forward when I see the light in the other direction change to discourage people from making a right on me. You'll get your day in court, and it may be reduced, but it will depend on the judge. Goodluuck.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-01-20, 02:13 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
... So the light began to change from yellow and I clipped in.
This language sounds a little weird. The light "began to change"? Judge Judy would smack you down for talking like that.
Old 02-01-20, 02:14 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
In my very humble opinion you deserved it....You still had a red light and left if I understand it right, that is still a violation of the law.
Old 02-01-20, 02:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
You ran a red light. Next time don’t be so impatient, wait until you get a green.
Old 02-01-20, 02:28 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If I'm reading this correctly, the OP was watching the light for cross traffic, and started his motion when the light for cross traffic was yellow, or as I've always called it, "jumping the light."

Sounds to me like another victim of Tolerance Zero or Zero Whatsits or whatever the hell NYC is calling it's policy of punishing cyclists and pedestrians for getting run over in ever greater numbers.

That said, any video of the intersection crossing in question? Without that, it's your word against the traffic cop, and NYC strikes me as one of those places that pays the officers to go to court days.

Here in California, most jurisdictions don't give a crap about cyclists at all. I've jumped lights directly in front of a police car, they don't even take notice.

The extent of my police interaction has been a cop (who currently had a homeless guy off of his bike) pointing and giving me a thumbs up for wearing a helmet.
Ditto most of what DrIsotope says. Also would be important to know if there is a delay between the time the cross-traffic light turns read, and you get a green light. In a lot of places I ride in Southern California its usually a 2 second delay. In that case you're REALLY in the wrong. And I'm pretty sure there's no entitlement for 'clipping in' in NYC or my home area; you want to wear that shoe/pedal combo for city riding, you still have to wait for the green light before rolling forward and clicking in. Pay the fine and consider it a lesson learned.
Likes For skidder:
Old 02-01-20, 02:34 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
If you had not crossed the painted line indicating where the intersection starts, then you have not 'run' the red light. I mean no one gets a ticket for rolling slowly up to the line when it's already red.

Problem is that you can't prove it. However, if the cop didn't have a camera rolling either, then it's your word against hers with zero corroboration and she might just screw up under questioning (ie she's already admitting that you'd been completely stopped - so that lends credence to your story).

I'd fight it. Chances are they won't even turn up to challenge you.
Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 02-01-20, 03:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Don't run red lights when cops are around....if you decide to run a red, look around and make sure that there are no cops around.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-01-20, 03:55 PM
NYcycles

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
You just reminded me! I have a ticket I’ve got to pay this week for not stopping long enough at a stop sign. $190 for me too
Old 02-01-20, 04:07 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I think what is more troublesome in this thread are the INSANE prices these tickets cost! DANG!!!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-01-20, 04:16 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I watched your video on You Tube fullscreen and couldn't believe you let your address be fully visible.

You need to be absolutely sure that the light in front of you is green. Also, it sometimes pays to wait a second or two after the light in front of you is green before you start off. That's in case someone is running the cross traffic red light. I had that happen to me not that long ago and the only thing that saved me from being T-boned by a speeding car (I was on my bicycle) was me not taking off immediately after the light facing me turned green.

Cheers
Old 02-01-20, 04:27 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Around where I am the cops are more often than not very lenient or forgiving. You can go through red lights on T intersections if you on the path crossing the T and no pedestrians are on your side of the crosswalk. You can go through certain red lights if it right and left side traffic cars are stopped for red on their side and the green left-turn lane for opposing traffic has no cars using it.

Then, of course, there is Mandeville Canyon and some other long descents around here. If you racing down the long descent everyone blows the stop signs and lights. No cops around and although obviously illegal you have a clear safe path or choices even if cars are around. (Summary: illegal but not dangerous.)
Old 02-01-20, 04:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12575 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 3,955 Posts
Originally Posted by NYcycles
... not stopping long enough at a stop sign.
Is that code for failure to come to a complete stop?
Old 02-01-20, 05:27 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
go to court and hope the officer is a no-show, and if she shows up then ask the judge for a fine reduction
goddam i hate cops who have **** to do but ticket cyclists
Old 02-01-20, 05:34 PM
CliffordK

Can a person clip in while track standing?
Old 02-01-20, 05:39 PM
CliffordK

You can request video from the police officer, although it may cost you.

While technically one is supposed to stop before a crosswalk, I feel it is safer to move forward through the crosswalk if there are no pedestrians around. Get to a location where one is VISIBLE.

If @illjustride hadn't entered the cross road before green, then it would be valid to argue that he wasn't running a red light.
Old 02-01-20, 05:53 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
.. Also, it sometimes pays to wait a second or two after the light in front of you is green before you start off. That's in case someone is running the cross traffic red light.
Bingo! This is my procedure even in the car and a last look left and right as well.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 02-01-20, 06:17 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Can a person clip in while track standing?
This person (me) can, and does very, very frequently. You can't? (Then again, I've read recent posts on this board that indicate a lot of riders can't stand up and pedal without falling over, soooo...)
Old 02-01-20, 06:18 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Bingo! This is my procedure even in the car and a last look left and right as well.
Same here. I've been on the receiving end of a t-bone in my car from a courier (in a light pick-up) trying to make the light and not making it. I was first in line to go on green. Late hit. Now I look both ways, and again, then ease on out.

Last edited by rseeker; 02-01-20 at 07:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.