Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 02-11-20, 09:17 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Question: scuffed 5800 crankset or pristine 5700 crankset?
I think that the 5700 would look dated on a bike as new as your Domane. It seems to make more sense to me to put newer components on an older frame vs the opposite.

But,

Originally Posted by rjones28
Install the one you don't want to keep.
I would keep the 5800 on the gravel bike, since I just like it more.
Old 02-11-20, 09:19 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

WalksOn2Wheels didn't I see that you have a Shutter Precision Dynamo hub on your Crockett?

I'm looking into building a new wheelset for my Trek and am considering a dynamo hub. How long have you had it and how do you like it? Any issues?
Old 02-11-20, 10:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
I get the sense that all the cool kids are getting dynamo front hubs.

I have not had one since I was 12 and had the old-fashioned generator that rubbed against the tire sidewall. Remember them?

Last edited by datlas; 02-11-20 at 10:14 AM.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-11-20, 10:33 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by datlas

I have not had one since I was 12 and had the old-fashioned generator that rubbed against the tire sidewall. Remember them?
I have fortunately been spared the misfortune of having a sidewall generator. I've heard that they are not the most efficient things in the world, although I've heard great things about this modern counterpart.

I keep going back and forth between whether I want a hub dynamo or not. I don't ride at night all that often, and when I do I have battery lights that work well enough, but I'm always a bit worried about the batteries, especially like last night when my light had a partial charge and it was very cold. So in that case, having the dynamo light available would be a nice peace of mind.

I've found that the price of a dynamo hub plus headlamp with a nice beam pattern is roughly equivalent to a really nice battery light. So financially it's a bit of a wash. Especially since I am already planning on building up a wheelset with some rims that I have.

My main hesitation is that if anything goes wrong with the dynamo hub, it would be a PITA to remove from a built wheel and replace it relative to just popping on a new battery light. I also wonder if I will trick myself into thinking that I can feel the drag from the hub. Everyone says that it's imperceptible, but if my brain convinces itself that it can feel it, well there's not much I can do about that.
Old 02-11-20, 10:38 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by abshipp
I have fortunately been spared the misfortune of having a sidewall generator. I've heard that they are not the most efficient things in the world, although I've heard great things about this modern counterpart.

I keep going back and forth between whether I want a hub dynamo or not. I don't ride at night all that often, and when I do I have battery lights that work well enough, but I'm always a bit worried about the batteries, especially like last night when my light had a partial charge and it was very cold. So in that case, having the dynamo light available would be a nice peace of mind.

I've found that the price of a dynamo hub plus headlamp with a nice beam pattern is roughly equivalent to a really nice battery light. So financially it's a bit of a wash. Especially since I am already planning on building up a wheelset with some rims that I have.

My main hesitation is that if anything goes wrong with the dynamo hub, it would be a PITA to remove from a built wheel and replace it relative to just popping on a new battery light. I also wonder if I will trick myself into thinking that I can feel the drag from the hub. Everyone says that it's imperceptible, but if my brain convinces itself that it can feel it, well there's not much I can do about that.
It's really a personal decision.

When I go out at night, I have a really bright headlight (it's a magicshine clone and plenty bright for my needs). It's good for 2+ hours. But I also keep a reasonably bright (200 Lumens?) LED flashlight on the bars as a backup in case, for some reason, my main light dies. I am cool with that. But if you are doing longer night rides or Randonneur rides, you almost have to get a dynamo.
Old 02-11-20, 10:59 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13635 Post(s)
Liked 4,434 Times in 2,457 Posts

Yeah. They were a real drag.
Old 02-11-20, 11:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts

I would not consider a dynamo for simple commuting. Those bottle generators sucked, but the hubs have some drag too.
Old 02-11-20, 11:40 AM
abshipp 

It's really a personal decision.

When I go out at night, I have a really bright headlight (it's a magicshine clone and plenty bright for my needs). It's good for 2+ hours. But I also keep a reasonably bright (200 Lumens?) LED flashlight on the bars as a backup in case, for some reason, my main light dies. I am cool with that. But if you are doing longer night rides or Randonneur rides, you almost have to get a dynamo.
I have a Niterider Lumina 500, which advertises 5.5 hours on low, 3 hours on medium, and 1.5 hours on high. I feel like I can probably count on half of that on a full charge to give me some insurance, but at the medium setting that only gives me 1.5 hours of time I feel like I could count on. The low setting would give me more, but I'm always wanting more light than that setting provides.
Old 02-11-20, 11:57 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
WalksOn2Wheels didn't I see that you have a Shutter Precision Dynamo hub on your Crockett?

I'm looking into building a new wheelset for my Trek and am considering a dynamo hub. How long have you had it and how do you like it? Any issues?
Yes. I will say that while I have had it a while, it has not seen major miles or much inclement weather. People have run them on the Tour Divide before (2,700+ mile offroad event) and other ultra-distance events in all sorts of conditions and I haven't heard anything bad about them. They sort of sit in between the really cheap, heavy commuter based options from SRAM and Shimano for townie bikes and, from what I can still gather, the ultimate standard of SON Dynamo hubs from Germany. Because lights are required by law on bicycles in Germany, that's where most of the good lights and dynamos come from.

I like it because it is always there, I never need to hunt it down, I never need to charge it, it always works, etc. The reason I put it on that bike is because it was built as the do-everything/training bike. I have done many night rides with it paired to a German B&M light with an awesome beam pattern. I did a lot of night commuting at one point and HATED the anxiety that came from getting a low battery warning from my rechargeable headlight. For that reason alone, it's worth it to me. Never could get into the idea of the high end lights with a battery bag hanging off the frame somewhere.

As far as drag, it really is not a noticeable thing. Here's a good link: https://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-...g-lab-testing/

I have one of the PV series and if you look at that chart, it's no more than a few watts at reasonable speeds. That's within the range that you would most likely be able to upgrade tires and it be a total wash. EDIT: that is a few watts with the light switched off. It is somewhere around 8 watts switched on. Definitely not nothing, but not like putting on a small brake or anything.

Last edited by WalksOn2Wheels; 02-11-20 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 12:06 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I have a Niterider Lumina 500, which advertises 5.5 hours on low, 3 hours on medium, and 1.5 hours on high. I feel like I can probably count on half of that on a full charge to give me some insurance, but at the medium setting that only gives me 1.5 hours of time I feel like I could count on. The low setting would give me more, but I'm always wanting more light than that setting provides.
Get a NiteRider Lumina 1000 for under $100 and relegate the 500 to your saddle-bag as a backup??

Last edited by datlas; 02-11-20 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-11-20, 12:27 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

I have two Dynamo hubs. One built into 700c; the second 27". I bought them both used. The Shimano has worked flawlessly for five or six years (more?). I have B&M EYC C+ light and one of their tail lights as well. The thing to remember with dynamo lights is that, if a repair is to be made, you need a battery light along. And if you you crash, again the lights go out. It would be prudent to have both, I suppose. I'm no speedster and I don't notice any drag. IfvI were to go back to riding nightsvon a regular basis, I would use dynamo every time.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 02-11-20, 12:39 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
chitpole in the f terminal in philly taste better than any other chitpole.
Old 02-11-20, 12:52 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Please remind me to stay out of the 41. No good can come of it.
Old 02-11-20, 12:52 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Really? Any sense why? Maybe it's the inflated price??
Old 02-11-20, 12:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
You've tried all of them?!
Old 02-11-20, 12:56 PM
bampilot06

Really? Any sense why? Maybe it's the inflated price??

let me rephrase. If it is the best airport food in the philly airport. I did a side by side comparison to all other restaurants in this fine establishment. Nothing comes close to quality and bang for the buck in quantity of food.
I’ve been here since 7 am, I know things.
Old 02-11-20, 01:22 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Strangely enough, one of the best burgers I've ever had (like top 5) was at the JFK airport. Bobby Van's Steakhouse in terminal 8.
Old 02-11-20, 01:24 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Strangely enough, one of the best burgers I've ever had (like top 5) was at the JFK airport. Bobby Van's Steakhouse in terminal 8.
have not been to jfk, I avoid that at all cost, but if I am ever there I will check it out.
Old 02-11-20, 01:25 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

let me rephrase. If it is the best airport food in the philly airport. I did a side by side comparison to all other restaurants in this fine establishment. Nothing comes close to quality and bang for the buck in quantity of food.
I’ve been here since 7 am, I know things.
Aha. But it's pretty much the same as any other Chipotle, right?

BTW we had Qdoba (Chopotle look-alike) for lunch today!
Old 02-11-20, 01:26 PM
bampilot06

Aha. But it's pretty much the same as any other Chipotle, right?

BTW we had Qdoba (Chopotle look-alike) for lunch today!
Every other chitpole has given me the runs. This one does something right.
Old 02-11-20, 01:31 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have two Dynamo hubs. One built into 700c; the second 27". I bought them both used. The Shimano has worked flawlessly for five or six years (more?). I have B&M EYC C+ light and one of their tail lights as well. The thing to remember with dynamo lights is that, if a repair is to be made, you need a battery light along. And if you you crash, again the lights go out. It would be prudent to have both, I suppose. I'm no speedster and I don't notice any drag. IfvI were to go back to riding nightsvon a regular basis, I would use dynamo every time.
I did forget that aspect.

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/CL...amps/ePLUSLITE

I have one of those and will stash it for night rides. But the last time I flatted at night, the moon was so bright I didn't even need any extra light to change the tube. Probably the only upside to living in a flat area that isn't densely packed with trees.
Old 02-11-20, 01:38 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

have not been to jfk, I avoid that at all cost, but if I am ever there I will check it out.
It's expensive, like 20 bucks, but it's made from choice meat because it's a steakhouse. You could probably get a burger just as good any other steak place, but usually when you go out of your way to go to a place like that, you want a steak.

Oh and it's massive. I have been to NYC a fair amount of times for work over the last couple of years and have probably gotten that burger 4 or 5 times. Because it's so big I will usually have a small breakfast and end my day with that before I catch a flight home.
Old 02-11-20, 01:40 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Low of 74A tonight, with 97 days on each side. Much, much too hot for this time of year. I suppose I should plan for 140 come April.

Old 02-11-20, 01:44 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Low of 74A tonight, with 97 days on each side. Much, much too hot for this time of year. I suppose I should plan for 140 come April.
we had 130 days in needles. Dry heat they called it. Too me it was still hot as ****.
Old 02-11-20, 01:50 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
There is a lot of surprisingly good airport food these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.