Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Spinning ( the class )

Old 02-10-20, 08:22 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
I spin. In February. Storms blowing. Class? I flunked out.

Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 02-10-20, 12:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Spinning ain't cycling. If they ever start a spinning forum on this bicycle forum, it'll take me more than 10 yeara to return next time.
Welcome back!
Old 02-10-20, 12:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I did a soulcycle class with a guy from work in December. Had trouble descending stairs for a couple of days, and my legs were sore for a week after that class. I'm sure I'd be a better climber if I did that a few times a week, but $35/workout wouldn't be worth it for me on a regular basis.
Old 02-11-20, 09:07 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I guess one upside is there are probably a lot of very attractive young women at spinning class, but I'm past all that...
The spin class at my Y that I used to go to was worth paying attention to(wink wink)
The spinning during the colder, darker months pays off when the weather gets nicer. on my first outdoor rides I already had the same condition I usually had by mid-summer.
BUT you have to realize some thinks, the spin bike is not a bicycle, no coasting, so you have to keep moving at all times. Even if you have to do what they tell you not to do, like removing all tension and just letting the flywheel move you legs around. And lot's of times I'd just do my own thing, or not do what the instructor said to do, like jumps(standing for a 30 second period, then sitting for 30, then standing again, etc) , that has no correlation to actual outside riding.
If you want better condition in the spring, winter spin sessions don't hurt. Well, they should hurt, but you get the drift.
Likes For leob1:
Old 02-11-20, 10:15 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
This would seem to violate the "fair use" rule of copyright.

I wondered about that . Can take it down if the mods say so,

but such a cool story, that is little known...
Old 02-11-20, 10:44 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
First, really, a fixie spin bike? Unusual.

There are many different spin classes. If you hate ONE, you may LOVE another.

Shop around.

(I still am amazed that we don’t have a spin forum here.)

-mr. bill

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Sprint/H.I.I.T (high intensity interval training) classes. My local "Y" has Les Mills Sprint classes and they are intense. Thirty minutes go by amazingly fast and you'll sweat. SUPPOSEDLY the classes are based on scientific studies that show that short 30-60 second bursts of all out intensity followed by 15-30 seconds of rest or soft pedaling maximizes conditioning. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the classes.
Old 02-12-20, 05:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked 6,319 Times in 3,658 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I wondered about that . Can take it down if the mods say so,

but such a cool story, that is little known...
Yeah, that was too much. Instead, you can post a little bit of it and then post a link to the rest.
Old 02-12-20, 11:11 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Sprint/H.I.I.T (high intensity interval training) classes. My local "Y" has Les Mills Sprint classes and they are intense. Thirty minutes go by amazingly fast and you'll sweat. SUPPOSEDLY the classes are based on scientific studies that show that short 30-60 second bursts of all out intensity followed by 15-30 seconds of rest or soft pedaling maximizes conditioning. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the classes.
That's one of the classes I take, the other two are designed for RPM and Road Cycling. Excellent high intensity workouts. These classes are designed for the road cyclist and high intensity trainer. These are NOT the typical spin classes, Hollywood Style, where folks are going through histrionics on their bikes. Some here mentioned that they remind them of fixed gear cycling. One of my old friends, a former Olympic cyclist, trains on these same spin classes and she rides road, mtn and fixed gear, velodrome and on the road. Some folks think that spin is all fluff and showing off... while those who ride in these high intensity classes really add the spin to help on the mountains, climbs and long endurance rides. It's all about one's attitude and the choice of instructor. With Denver's weather, rotten with cold, snow and ice currently, a very high intensity spin class 3X a week is ideal.
Likes For Climb14er:
Old 02-12-20, 03:11 PM
Fatter Frank

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roll Elite 2015 Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I am disgusted and determined. Spin class today I did 10 minutes and then needed a breather. I completed the 40 minute set but had to do breaks. I'm not what I thought I was. Tomorrow will be better.
Old 02-12-20, 03:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You can certainly do some serious indoor training on a spin bike; no one disputes that. The thing is that you're either going to have to find a coach/class like climb14er or do it yourself. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of loud EDM and weird moves like pushups, butt-taps, and hovering that you would never do on an actual bike.

Regarding Peloton, they do have actual cycling-focused training classes on their platform. I did a couple that were led by Christian VanDeVelde that were pretty good.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-12-20, 04:49 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 307 Posts
You can find HIIT videos on YouTube. I do a twenty minute video about once a week. My legs are rubber afterwards. The videos often call for more cadence then I can manage. I adjust my effort to my capability. GCN channel has several to choose from.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-12-20, 06:40 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 887 Posts
Spinning ain't cycling. If they ever start a spinning forum on this bicycle forum, it'll take me more than 10 yeara to return next time. I'm sure ****** has a spinning forum or Soul(less) cycle forum.if you're Jonesing for that type of discussion. Warning- conversations in there will probably have little to nothing to do with cycling and everything to do with that rad new playlist, or Michelle Obama being o the next bike, or that cool new color they just addded to the logo.

/Barf

koffee
koffee brown Funny you mention that because it was mentioned starting a sub forum here called "Spincyling and you"
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 02-12-20, 07:32 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatter Frank
I am disgusted and determined. Spin class today I did 10 minutes and then needed a breather. I completed the 40 minute set but had to do breaks. I'm not what I thought I was. Tomorrow will be better.
I can empathize. My wife and I bought an air bike after realizing that cycling alone had great cardio benefits but few upper body benefits. It has two interval programs, a 10/20 and a 20/10 that's rest vs killing it. They are hard!
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 02-13-20, 12:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Spinning ain't cycling. If they ever start a spinning forum on this bicycle forum, it'll take me more than 10 yeara to return next time. I'm sure ****** has a spinning forum or Soul(less) cycle forum.if you're Jonesing for that type of discussion. Warning- conversations in there will probably have little to nothing to do with cycling and everything to do with that rad new playlist, or Michelle Obama being o the next bike, or that cool new color they just addded to the logo.

/Barf

koffee
That's a great idea! They should have a spin / indoor cycling / Zwift subforum! ☺

Thanks for the incentive.

There are enough people in General who have lost interest in cycling outside that this could be just the thing!

Last edited by Machka; 02-13-20 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-13-20, 12:51 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
A few years ago I was chasing the goal of 400 miles in an annual 24 hour race. Working toward my fourth year, I took spin class in the winter to maintain. I went in thinking I was pretty fit, and staggered away from the first class realizing otherwise. Kicked my butt. When spring came and I hit the road, I was in the best condition of my life. I reached my 400 mile goal that year, and I believe the fitness I gained from winter spinning made the difference.

I expect a structured training program, if adhered to, would have the same or better results. I found having someone scream at me to get out of the saddle and push, push, push provided motivation to suffer that I don't have on my own.
Old 02-13-20, 01:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
A few years ago I was chasing the goal of 400 miles in an annual 24 hour race. Working toward my fourth year, I took spin class in the winter to maintain. I went in thinking I was pretty fit, and staggered away from the first class realizing otherwise. Kicked my butt. When spring came and I hit the road, I was in the best condition of my life. I reached my 400 mile goal that year, and I believe the fitness I gained from winter spinning made the difference.

I expect a structured training program, if adhered to, would have the same or better results. I found having someone scream at me to get out of the saddle and push, push, push provided motivation to suffer that I don't have on my own.
Yes, me too! I kept fit one winter with spinning classes and come spring jumped into a successful 200K randonnee.

Right now, going to spinning classes isn't convenient, so I'm attempting to do something similar with Zwift.
Old 02-13-20, 02:16 AM
Msiipola

Bikes: Bianchi carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I found having someone scream at me to get out of the saddle and push, push, push provided motivation to suffer that I don't have on my own.
Exactly my view also. Going hard yourself is difficult, but when someone pushing you, it's easier. But you also must like the music played.
Old 02-13-20, 06:24 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Msiipola
Exactly my view also. Going hard yourself is difficult, but when someone pushing you, it's easier. But you also must like the music played.
I do a couple Cyclebar workouts a week during the winter. I like the emphasis on watts and cadence plus the in class challenges. Since all the bikes are connected you can instantly see on the screen above the instructor just how much you suck. Besides, if you go anaerobic for long enough you forget that there is any music playing.
Old 02-14-20, 08:49 PM
Haselsmasher

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
I was really into Spinning for a while. (I was a long time road cyclist when I picked up spinning.)

It's great for getting and keeping in shape, but as others have said, it's not riding. Did it for a number of years but had my fill and about a year ago I dropped my membership and went headlong into riding year round. I figured with what I saved in the gym membership that would MORE than cover buying some good cold-weather riding gear.

My fun spinning-related story occurred the Spring after my first winter of really attending Spinning religiously. From a cardio standpoint I was in pretty darn good shape. I'm outside on a ride on the first really nice day in Spring - so there were relatively lots of riders out. Pack of 3 riders came up to me at a stop light. They were uber-cool. So cool they couldn't wait for the light to change, so they ran it. I waited for the green and proceeded. I saw them up ahead, a ways.....we were just starting a 4 mile long stretch of open road. Had my heart monitor on. I knew what heart rate I could sustain. I up-shifted and started hammering. Kept an eye on the HR, and knew how high I could go and sustain it. I just kept hammering. As I approached the pack I checked 6 (clear) pulled into the lane and just BLEW by them. It felt great.

I wouldn't have been able to do that had I not been spinning. It's very intense. Can be fun if you make it so (get in the zone, find instructors with similar music tastes).

Jim
Old 02-24-20, 03:36 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
While I ride indoors on my bike on a trainer, I cannot do spin classes. And not likely a fixed gear bike of any flavor, thanks to a fragile failing left ankle (needs TT fusion). My last attempt at such a spin class made it tough to walk on that ankle for a week.
Old 02-24-20, 03:46 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
While I ride indoors on my bike on a trainer, I cannot do spin classes. And not likely a fixed gear bike of any flavor, thanks to a fragile failing left ankle (needs TT fusion). My last attempt at such a spin class made it tough to walk on that ankle for a week.

The fixed ( non coasting ) spin class bike hurts my knees also when I sprint then need to slow down slightly. I wonder what the logic is in not having it freewheel. Seems like such a bad design.
Old 02-24-20, 03:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
The fixed ( non coasting ) spin class bike hurts my knees also when I sprint then need to slow down slightly. I wonder what the logic is in not having it freewheel. Seems like such a bad design.
The logic is that it's much easier to spin high rpms on a spin bike than on a freewheel bike because the flywheel does the work to get your feet through the dead spot. That's why they're called spin bikes. Knees need work. Do you run? hike? Do weights? Knee tendons are probably a little weak.
Old 02-24-20, 04:16 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The logic is that it's much easier to spin high rpms on a spin bike than on a freewheel bike because the flywheel does the work to get your feet through the dead spot. That's why they're called spin bikes. Knees need work. Do you run? hike? Do weights? Knee tendons are probably a little weak.

I exercise 7 days a week. I was in a motorcycle accident in 2016. When PT did not work after a year I had surgery on both knees in oct 2017. More PT, more exercise etc.
I am to the point I can hike 10 to 15 miles every sat. I tried running. After 3 to 5 miles I ended up limping the rest of the hike. So 2019 Xmas I thought I would try this bike thing everyone is telling me to try since running seems to be out :/

I prefer the stationary bikes that feel like a regular bicycle but I guess there is lots of benefits to spin bike.
Old 02-24-20, 05:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I exercise 7 days a week. I was in a motorcycle accident in 2016. When PT did not work after a year I had surgery on both knees in oct 2017. More PT, more exercise etc.
I am to the point I can hike 10 to 15 miles every sat. I tried running. After 3 to 5 miles I ended up limping the rest of the hike. So 2019 Xmas I thought I would try this bike thing everyone is telling me to try since running seems to be out :/

I prefer the stationary bikes that feel like a regular bicycle but I guess there is lots of benefits to spin bike.
Probably better then to ride a real bike, either outside or on your trainer. Definitely less knee strain.
Old 03-01-20, 03:58 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.