Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Taking the lane in Jersey

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 02-06-20, 03:12 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts

this guy is pissing many people off

https://nypost.com/video/bicyclist-p...in-the-street/
Old 02-07-20, 07:04 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
On the narrow streets shown in the video, I don't see how he can safely ride without taking the lane. Ollie doesn't seem like an "in your face" type of crusader, riding with the sole intent to promote motorist reaction. On the other hand, he probably is stretching the boundaries of prudent cycling. I wish him good luck.

About "pissing many people off" - I imagine that those angry motorists in the video were already full of pent up anger just looking for a target.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 02-07-20, 08:22 AM
Flip Flop Rider

with ya. living in Jersey may have that affect
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 02-07-20, 08:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-07-20, 11:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
this guy is pissing many people off

There is the rule of law, and then there is common courtesy and discretion (the better part of valor).
Ollie's immature, combative attitude almost ensures an unhappy ending.
"Here lies Ollie...he was dead right."
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-08-20, 08:57 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
This person is a total moron. He will be crying the loudest when bicycles are stricken from the streets there.
Old 02-09-20, 07:11 AM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77
This person is a total moron. He will be crying the loudest when bicycles are stricken from the streets there.
he's a moron, huh ? besides being an insulting troll, how about you add a bit of intellect, if you have any, to explain your opinion.
Old 02-09-20, 09:05 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

I'm sorry for my unacceptable strong words, It was out of place and I'll refrain from responding to these posts in the future.
I was riding with our local riding club many years ago when 2 slow riders took the right lane next to center while laughing about their legal rights. The loaded cement truck driver they were holding back was fuming . I left that ride and never returned to ride with them.
I feel that bicycles and the rest of the traffic flow can get along nicely with some common sense from both sides.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 02-09-20, 09:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I imagine that those angry motorists in the video were already full of pent up anger just looking for a target.
Yeah. It's Jersey City after all.
Old 02-09-20, 10:18 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm sorry for my unacceptable strong words, It was out of place and I'll refrain from responding to these posts in the future.
I was riding with our local riding club many years ago when 2 slow riders took the right lane next to center while laughing about their legal rights. The loaded cement truck driver they were holding back was fuming . I left that ride and never returned to ride with them.
I feel that bicycles and the rest of the traffic flow can get along nicely with some common sense from both sides.
AH, but if Common Sense is so common, then why doe we see so little of it?

LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old 02-12-20, 05:21 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
It's only 95% of New Jerseyans who make the other 5% look bad.

Of course, that's easy for me to say, when I'm primarily riding along wide, off-the-beaten-path suburban roads.
Likes For Hokiedad4:
Old 02-14-20, 09:57 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I live and ride in North Jersey. Would love to encounter this toolbag on the road one day
Old 02-14-20, 05:15 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I agree. "Sharing the road" goes both ways.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 02-14-20, 07:32 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Geez. The guy is 100 percent legally correct or in the right as illustrated or explained. He is also obsessed, lacking common sense, mentally irregular and is more of a danger to himself than MOST of the cars around him.

He has every legal right to free climb El Capitan in Yosemite Valley but doing so would be on par with his bike riding in Jersey City. Oh, well. Darwinian principles will eventually catch up with him. (I'm not wishing him ill, just making an evaluation.)
Old 02-18-20, 09:55 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
This is yet another attempt by this trashy tabloid to generate clicks by letting their restaurant reviewer troll bicyclists.

It's debatable whether one rude punk bicyclist helps the bicycling in a given area more than having none at all, but there are worse ways of getting around.
Old 02-18-20, 01:04 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 3,157 Posts
"Took the right lane next to center?"
You mean the left tire track? Or a different lane?

Was there more than one lane going eirher way?
Old 02-18-20, 02:54 PM
Olefeller77 

Hwy 84 through Colona Ill. One lane each direction. They held out near the center to hold up traffic. I checked the newspaper the next morning to see if they were dead right.
That happened a lot of years ago but my opinion hasn't changed in the least.
Old 02-19-20, 05:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 3,157 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
On the narrow streets shown in the video, I don't see how he can safely ride without taking the lane. Ollie doesn't seem like an "in your face" type of crusader, riding with the sole intent to promote motorist reaction. On the other hand, he probably is stretching the boundaries of prudent cycling. I wish him good luck.

About "pissing many people off" - I imagine that those angry motorists in the video were already full of pent up anger just looking for a target.
I gotta agree... the bigger problem is "entitled motorists."

Somewhere along the way drivers have developed the notion that PUBLIC ROADS are for cars only. Drivers ed classes are notoriously poor at teaching about "other road users," police may be misinformed or are just going by their own poor habits, and the various state DMVs are not really ensuring that the public is well informed. California for instance only started putting questions regarding cyclists on the driving written test about 20 years ago. Does New Jersey have any info in their handbook or questions on their tests about cyclists on the road... how about farm vehicles, or livestock. Or do drivers just "own the roads?"

Yeah, what he is doing IS dangerous, and he needs a better horn. But the truth is, he IS right. And it is well past high time for cyclists to "push back."

Just because someone is in a car, doesn't mean they have any more right to public roads than anyone else. Dare I say that in fact, due to wear damage of roads, air pollution, and excessive use of space... one could argue that drivers in cars have less rights to ruin the commons. (Of course, that is guilding the lilly a bit...)
Likes For genec:
Old 02-20-20, 08:52 AM
Flip Flop Rider

agree with people who have posted that sharing the road goes both ways. If he could pull over and let a lot of traffic by and then be on his way, fine. If traffic is constant, a little trickier, but I would not be hesitant to use the sidewalk if needed (I know)
Old 02-20-20, 02:23 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
agree with people who have posted that sharing the road goes both ways. If he could pull over and let a lot of traffic by and then be on his way, fine. If traffic is constant, a little trickier, but I would not be hesitant to use the sidewalk if needed (I know)
Here in Ontario, Canada iirc if you're in ANY slow-moving vehicle and have a line of 4 or more vehicles behind you, then you are supposed to pull over to let them pass as soon as it's safe for you to do so. Failure to do that can result in a traffic violation citation for "impeding traffic".

Cheers