Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes, and I still feel lost (pls help)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes, and I still feel lost (pls help)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 06:32 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Advice for a complete beginner:
​​​​​​
Once you have crossed the $1000 threshold, you're usually getting a great bike. You can get a LOT of gravel bike for under $2k. In the price range you are looking at, you're getting lighter, more pricey components, which will really only benefit you if you are racing at a competition level. Weight differences on bikes under 30lbs are insignificant in practice if you aren't climbing big hillls all day long.

​​​​​​As others have suggested, you probably won't get it right on your first bike, and bikes lose a lot of resale value the second they leave the showroom. I'd strongly recommend something along the lines of a Marin nicasio or a salsa journeyman before you take such an expensive plunge into a component level you won't really benefit from as a complete beginner.
Likes For bcpriess:
Old 02-07-20, 10:24 AM
aabb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Beginner, narrowed it down to two bikes, bikes are dissimilar, haven't ridden either bike, doesn't understand the terminology that describes each bike, bikes range $3k-$5k...

I think you're in for a very expensive lesson..

Better to buy a used, well-reviewed(on Bike Forums), well regarded $1k bike and ride the heck out of it. If you feel it's limiting your riding, then take a $3k-$5k bike for a ride and compare them to the base of experience you've developed. If/when you decide to trade up, your $1k used bike will still be worth $750.
If I buy used, how do I ensure the bike size is right for me? And how would I ensure the frame, for example, is not damaged or cracked and what not? Would bike shops do both of those things if I pay them or is it in their best interest to just sell me their bikes?
Old 02-07-20, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by aabb
If I buy used, how do I ensure the bike size is right for me? And how would I ensure the frame, for example, is not damaged or cracked and what not? Would bike shops do both of those things if I pay them or is it in their best interest to just sell me their bikes?

1) Same way you would buying new, by trying the bike out. and looking at it Don't buy used carbon if you aren't confident in being able to spot problems. Metal frame defects tend to be pretty obvious. If you can't test ride, don't buy.

2) Requires local knowledge--ask the LBS if they do this, but you would also need to know if they can be trusted. I know of shops near me that really don't do anything but service, so if they're at all good, they'd have no dog in the fight.

I have to ask--have you actually ridden ANY bike yet? Right now, this is like trying to explain to someone who's never walked what to look for in a pair of shoes. You learn what works for you by trying things on, not by reading.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-07-20, 10:51 AM
aabb

Originally Posted by livedarklions
1) Same way you would buying new, by trying the bike out. and looking at it Don't buy used carbon if you aren't confident in being able to spot problems. Metal frame defects tend to be pretty obvious. If you can't test ride, don't buy.

2) Requires local knowledge--ask the LBS if they do this, but you would also need to know if they can be trusted. I know of shops near me that really don't do anything but service, so if they're at all good, they'd have no dog in the fight.

I have to ask--have you actually ridden ANY bike yet? Right now, this is like trying to explain to someone who's never walked what to look for in a pair of shoes. You learn what works for you by trying things on, not by reading.
Yeah I test-rode an Infinito and a Domane SL5. Both felt nice, didn't really notice a difference between them. The saddle of the Infinito felt more comfortable but saddles can be changed anyways.
Old 02-07-20, 10:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Yeah I test-rode an Infinito and a Domane SL5. Both felt nice, didn't really notice a difference between them. The saddle of the Infinito felt more comfortable but saddles can be changed anyways.

See, now you have a benchmark to work with--feel better, worse or same than what you've tried.

Note what the saddle is on the Infinito or any other ones you try that seem good. If you have to swap one out, it'll be great to know ones that suit you.

No one here is going to be able to tell you whether you're going to like any bike in 6 months. It's up to you how much money you want to put on that bet.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-07-20, 11:47 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
1X means it has a single chainring on the crank. 2X means 2 chainrings. A book could be written about why one is better then the other, or you could search this forum and get a feel for what people think and the experiences folks have.

Its immensely helpful to have a LBS (Local bike shop) where you trust the sales folks to help steer you into a bike that’s right for you, your experience level and budget. Also one that isn’t going to sell you the $4200 Orbea when a bike less than half the price fits you better and that you like on a test ride.

Attending the beginner nature of the purchase, is your skill level also at the beginner level ?, in terms or your ability to not get into a crash while you learn the particulars of riding off a paved road ?. That too drives the decision to maybe not spend as much at this stage.

And since you are in Canada, do look at Norco bikes. Great products, great value. A Canadian company whose bikes are not well represented in the US, so you read less about them.

This has a nice feature set and it’s red, which everybody knows is faster.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/roa.../search-xr-a1/
Not only red, but shiny, glossy red, and smooth welds. Nice, enough of the matte finished bikes with all black components...

That looks like a nice bike with a decent set of components. Even I, a confirmed steel bike fan who prefers a more retro look, would seriously consider that Norco. Plus the website has good info.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 02-07-20, 03:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
@aabb----as you can see, a Lot of posters recommend buying a cheaper bike to start with and then learning what you really like.

Why? because it just makes sense, and because a lot of people have bought the "wrong" bike.

You say you have checked out some bikes and made a decision to a couple .... but don't know the most basic stuff about those bikes or bikes in general (by the way, bravo for admitting that. honest people are the best.)

This i why people have been advising you to ride a season and learn what you Really like, as opposed to what you Think you'd like .....

And if you aren't even sure what "fit" feels like to You ... how can you possibly know that the bike you are buying fits/ The folks in the shop might have their own ideas about how people "should" ride .... but they don't know how you Like to ride ... and neither do you.

I have ridden that bike which was a dream for 45 minutes and a torture device after 60. it can happen. And while no one here knows you, we all pretty much want to help you enjoy an activity we all find highly enjoyable on many levels.

But whatever you do, you won't end up buying a "bad" bike. You might get a bike which doesn't do what you really want it to as well as some other ... but you will still be able to ride it. You won't get a bike which doesn't fit at all ... but you might get a bike which is not great for longer rides, or which fits less and less well as you gain strength and ability.

I would definitely suggest buying a Fuiji Sportiv, or giant Contend with Sora .... both should fit 32-mm tires, both a re solid bikes at slightly better prices than Trek, Spec, or Cannondale ... and both would give you a good baseline. The next year, demote the bike to 'rain bike" and buy whatever you really want.

You may find that you need a dedicated, high-BB, 1X, gravel bike with really low gearing, not suited to the road but perfect for the muddy hills you love to climb. Or ... you might find that you really don't ride much gravel and you like a more road-oriented bike with two chain rings for a wider range of gears, but still clearance for a comfortable tire which won't sink into the occasional dirt trail. You might decide you need a pure mountain bike, because road riding just isn't any fun.

But .... if you insist on spending multiple thousands of dollars on your first bike, that is fine. Yo won't buy a 'bad" bike if you listen at all.and whatever you buy, you will be able to enjoy it some .... and probably quite a bit.

When i started daily commuting with some distance riding, I rode a lot of very compromised bicycles .... bikes I made work because I needed working bikes. Many were far from optimal, and many weren't much good beyond the length of my daily commute---but so long as I got where I needed to be, i didn't care.

After i got financially stable, I Knew what bikes I wanted, and i bought them. I know what fit for different uses, and I know what I liked to do with bikes.

And I never started with a $4000 bike. You will have to compromise a lot less than I did. So whatever .... you will almost certainly enjoy what you buy. You might waste some money, but that isn't my concern.

I, and I think everyone here, hopes that if you really want to ride, that you get that chance, and if it turns out that you are "one of us," one of that group of people who enjoy cycling ... great. Welcome aboard.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-10-20, 08:29 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I had a major warranty problem with Orbea, they refused to warranty their scandium frame after it cracked at the headtube within the first year of use, they claimed it was fatigue and thus no warranty? If you don't care about the warranty then I guess Orbea might be in the running for you, but I think I would rather have the Bianchi personally.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 02-10-20, 09:59 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
@aabb----as you can see, a Lot of posters recommend buying a cheaper bike to start with and then learning what you really like.

Why? because it just makes sense, and because a lot of people have bought the "wrong" bike.

You say you have checked out some bikes and made a decision to a couple .... but don't know the most basic stuff about those bikes or bikes in general (by the way, bravo for admitting that. honest people are the best.)

This i why people have been advising you to ride a season and learn what you Really like, as opposed to what you Think you'd like .....

And if you aren't even sure what "fit" feels like to You ... how can you possibly know that the bike you are buying fits/ The folks in the shop might have their own ideas about how people "should" ride .... but they don't know how you Like to ride ... and neither do you.

I have ridden that bike which was a dream for 45 minutes and a torture device after 60. it can happen. And while no one here knows you, we all pretty much want to help you enjoy an activity we all find highly enjoyable on many levels.

But whatever you do, you won't end up buying a "bad" bike. You might get a bike which doesn't do what you really want it to as well as some other ... but you will still be able to ride it. You won't get a bike which doesn't fit at all ... but you might get a bike which is not great for longer rides, or which fits less and less well as you gain strength and ability.

I would definitely suggest buying a Fuiji Sportiv, or giant Contend with Sora .... both should fit 32-mm tires, both a re solid bikes at slightly better prices than Trek, Spec, or Cannondale ... and both would give you a good baseline. The next year, demote the bike to 'rain bike" and buy whatever you really want.

You may find that you need a dedicated, high-BB, 1X, gravel bike with really low gearing, not suited to the road but perfect for the muddy hills you love to climb. Or ... you might find that you really don't ride much gravel and you like a more road-oriented bike with two chain rings for a wider range of gears, but still clearance for a comfortable tire which won't sink into the occasional dirt trail. You might decide you need a pure mountain bike, because road riding just isn't any fun.

But .... if you insist on spending multiple thousands of dollars on your first bike, that is fine. Yo won't buy a 'bad" bike if you listen at all.and whatever you buy, you will be able to enjoy it some .... and probably quite a bit.

When i started daily commuting with some distance riding, I rode a lot of very compromised bicycles .... bikes I made work because I needed working bikes. Many were far from optimal, and many weren't much good beyond the length of my daily commute---but so long as I got where I needed to be, i didn't care.

After i got financially stable, I Knew what bikes I wanted, and i bought them. I know what fit for different uses, and I know what I liked to do with bikes.

And I never started with a $4000 bike. You will have to compromise a lot less than I did. So whatever .... you will almost certainly enjoy what you buy. You might waste some money, but that isn't my concern.

I, and I think everyone here, hopes that if you really want to ride, that you get that chance, and if it turns out that you are "one of us," one of that group of people who enjoy cycling ... great. Welcome aboard.
Well said.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 02-11-20, 01:42 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If you have to order before test riding, you may as well save money and buy online. Testriding is the only real value an LBS adds and they seem to deprive you of that.

As others said, try a cheaper or used one to know what you want. That way you get to know your local paths and can jufge better what gearing, tire size etc. you want. It is nice to have a $4K bike, but unless your paycheck depends on being on a podium, a $2K bike will be 99% good.

Also keep in mind expensive race bikes geometry is made for very fit racers that like to suffer for 1 hour to gain 2 seconds, they are not made for comfort. Same way a Ferrari, as great as it may be, isn't a great errand car.

Besides fit, I personally would choose for widest tire clearance frame and fork allow. With larger tires frame material matters less for comfort.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 02-11-20, 04:40 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, its my first time posting here. I am in the process of purchasing my first gravel bike in a very long time. I have tried numerous times to ask those questions to bike shops, but I keep getting conflicting answers. I suspect they are just trying to move inventory without being completely honest with me.

Anyways, I have narrowed my gravel bike list down to 2 options. I enjoy the look/aesthetics of both bikes (particularly the Bianchi), and aesthetics matter a lot to me. If I am paying this much, then I want something that looks good if ya know what I mean.

One has a special type of aluminum frame (Bianchi Impulso GRX-600), and the other comes with a carbon fiber frame and also higher end components (Orbea Terra M20-D IX). As a beginner, the Terra might be too much bike for me, but the price difference between the Terra and Bianchi is not that significant given the many improvements on the Terra. And I take good care of what I am passionate about, so I am contemplating saving a bit more to get the Terra (Bianchi is $3,200 and the Terra M20-D IX is $4,800 CAD). I'm going to post my questions below

1) Carbon Fiber vs. Aluminum. I heard the purpose of carbon fiber is performance only. Also, from what I know, aluminum is more practical. A bike shop I recently visited advised me that an aluminum frame is better for a gravel bike, given its more practical nature and that if something happens it would be less 'serious' and cheaper to fix. Is this true? And does carbon fiber only matter for performance (I'm not going to race)? Does it not have any other benefits?

2) Warranty. Bianchis come with a 5 year frame warranty, while the Orbea has a lifetime frame warranty. I understand those warranties cover only manufacturer defects, but: should this be a critical factor when deciding between the two? Does the lifetime frame warranty translate to a better product in the long term (otherwise why is Bianchi offering only 5 years?)?

3) Better components. The Orbea also comes with better components in almost every other respect, which is expected given the price difference. As a beginner and someone who does not intend to race, should I be aiming for these better components since money is no issue, or will getting the better components be useless as I won't utilize them to their full potential given that I'm a beginner and non-racer?

3) Opinion/Experience. If anyone has owned/owns either of those two (or just if you have any opinion), I would appreciate your input very much on any other aspect that you wish to share.

Thanks in advance!
I can't contest to either bike but

Carbon fiber isn't really just for performance since companies can simply build more aero and sexier bike IMO with carbon compared to aluminium or other metals. It's true carbon can be lighter, stronger, and stiffer yet it could be noted it isn't the most crash resilient matter. The horror stories of carbon randomly failing is overblown but detecting cracks in carbon sometimes can be near impossible since most bikes are painted. That's not to say metal bikes can't fail but honestly I would never buy a used carbon frame or bike while I would trust buying a metal bike used

As per warranties, one ask yourself how long you actually think you will be keeping this bike, but also realize warranties are kind of BS. Frankly you will be at the discretion of the local rep to approve or deny your claim. Also bike's limited warranties have so many caveats now a days that simply any claim could be denied within reason. With this being said I would pick the bike based on your LBS's relationship with each vendor. If your LBS sells tons of "X" my thought process is that whatever rep will be more likely to warranty your bike based on your LBS sales.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 02-14-20, 11:12 PM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
the problem is people have such strong opinions of carbon fiber bikes and they guide people in the wrong direction , the problem with carbon is people are trying to sell you it and they will do anything to get the sale , so sometimes you buy carbon and its worse than a alu , and the other way around , if you do buy carbon id look for info on a fram analysis by a professional engineer im sure there are some articles or youtube videos on the actual reality of the carbon frame you want to buy , but in practice carbon is the best material , and im prety sure you cant fix alumimun if it cracks , you can take more hit on alu though , i think when choosing between bike its better to go with the cheaper frame and use the extra money to buy better parts and wheels !
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 02-16-20, 08:34 PM
altondavis2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
You're not married are you ???
Likes For altondavis2:
Old 02-17-20, 09:15 AM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
All else being equal, buy the bike you think is prettiest.

Regarding cost, I'm still riding bikes I bought in the mid-1990s.

I sometimes regret that I bought a Gary Fisher Mamba instead of a Big Sur. This was back in 1996. The Big Sur was about $200 more, but had much better components.

If you are still single, remember that it will be a lot more difficult to get new toys once you are married.
Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 02-17-20, 10:27 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
At that price I would recomend buying 3 Surly's.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 02-18-20, 10:21 PM
aabb

Originally Posted by TooOldandSlow
All else being equal, buy the bike you think is prettiest.

Regarding cost, I'm still riding bikes I bought in the mid-1990s.

I sometimes regret that I bought a Gary Fisher Mamba instead of a Big Sur. This was back in 1996. The Big Sur was about $200 more, but had much better components.

If you are still single, remember that it will be a lot more difficult to get new toys once you are married.
I find the Bianchi to be the prettiest by far! Unique colour, with a lot of history - thats special and I dont mind paying a premium for that at all tbh.
Old 02-18-20, 10:25 PM
aabb

Also I should say that I'm going to be at the Toronto biking show in March (the first day only, which I believe is a Friday). Great to see everything all in one place. I may buy there, I don't know. Unlikely as I may not get one-on-one customer service in regards to the fitting in particular (I heard this event is busy?).
Old 02-19-20, 12:19 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Bianchi for the win. I'm looking forward to your review.
Likes For AlmostTrick: