Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just bought a titanium road bike for $100: it needs some help.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just bought a titanium road bike for $100: it needs some help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 08:22 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvis
Funny. That's what I used. It more than 5 minutes though. I probably didn't use it correctly because I had to apply it several times. At this point I have had way more than $100 in entertainment.

I appreciate the advice found here.

Dwayne.
​​​​​​
I have an idea. As a family project, why don't you ask your wife to do the Scotch Brite work?
Old 02-21-20, 09:10 AM
zweitesmal2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
A bit off topic but how does one identify a Titanium frame? I would never had known looking at this bike, most likely buying it because of the groupset alone. Thanks.
Old 02-21-20, 09:21 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
I have an idea. As a family project, why don't you ask your wife to do the Scotch Brite work?

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-21-20, 09:31 AM
mjac

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
A bit off topic but how does one identify a Titanium frame? I would never had known looking at this bike, most likely buying it because of the groupset alone. Thanks.
I think it's the ones made out of Titanium.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-22-20, 08:54 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Yea, do check the forks for any problems. Anybody think that is a Litespeed? I paid alot more than $100 for mine (new frames can run a few grand), which for me is a great riding bike for long rides. If it is Litespeed, you can probably buy the decals for it (headbadge, etc.) from them.
Old 02-22-20, 02:27 PM
Dalvis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know why, but I can't post pics. The frame looks much better without the clear coat. I waxed it, but decided that scotch Brite red gave a better finish.

The frame/fork and wheels are at a LBS. I can't get the play out of the headset and the wheels need to be trued. I need a new chain, cassette and cables (all rusted). The seat, handlebar and shifters were bent so I'm looking for those as well. Then I have to decide if I want to upgrade the other components.

So far I have had fun with my $100 investment.

The bike is a 2000 Mongoose rx10.5. I found the exact frame on eBay (complete with decals).

Dwayne
Old 02-24-20, 09:17 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I don't know why, but I can't post pics. The frame looks much better without the clear coat. I waxed it, but decided that scotch Brite red gave a better finish.

The frame/fork and wheels are at a LBS. I can't get the play out of the headset and the wheels need to be trued. I need a new chain, cassette and cables (all rusted). The seat, handlebar and shifters were bent so I'm looking for those as well. Then I have to decide if I want to upgrade the other components.

So far I have had fun with my $100 investment.

The bike is a 2000 Mongoose rx10.5. I found the exact frame on eBay (complete with decals).

Dwayne
You need to make two more posts and you will then be able to post pictures. There is a 10 post minimum on this site. Make two quick posts to this thread or another and post some pics. I'm curious to see how it turned out.
Old 02-27-20, 05:33 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Thank you for making me feel better about my impulse buy. At the very least I will have fun building up a bike.

Sorry about starting two threads. The general consensus is that I got a good deal and spending $400 to $500 would not be a bad investment. This may be a bad question: older dura ace 10 sp or newer ultegra/105?

So far the only issue I see with the frame is the clear coat is peeling (I thought you couldn't put anything on a titanium frame).

​​​​​​
​​​​​I think the guys wife got fed up with seeing the bike and forced him to get rid of it.
...and in 6 months my wife may be selling a titanium bike for $50 .
10 speed dura ace is that correct?
if works well keep it.
excellent stuff

if u need new guy Tiagra groupo....very affordable or microshift. all depends on ur $$$$$ and what u want/need.
show us ti. frame.
Old 03-10-20, 01:06 PM
Dalvis

I need 2 more post before I can upload pics.
update #1 . The fork is bent. Do you know how many threadless 1 in forks are currently made? I found 3. A steel one that's about $100 and heavy, a full carbon one from China that's really light and of questionable durability (also about $100). The winner was one made by Richey coming in at $200. I tried looking for a used fork, but couldn't find the tube length I needed.
Old 03-10-20, 01:12 PM
Dalvis

Update #2 . I teach in Fulton county schools in ga. We made national news. A teacher in our system has the coronavirus. That particular school is located about 20 miles from my school, but the entire system closed today. This gave me time to finish my project.
Right now $100 purchase is now an $800 bike. That dang fork.

Last edited by Dalvis; 03-10-20 at 08:16 PM.
Likes For Dalvis:
Old 03-10-20, 01:19 PM
Dalvis

The is the frame without the clear coat

New chainring bolt arrive Thursday and I will talk the bars then.

Likes For Dalvis:
Old 03-10-20, 02:18 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
Most of them are metal colored somewhere between grey (bead blasted) and mirror silver (polished) depending on finish, with bare metal or a clear coat.

31.8mm outside diameter seat tubes are common, and unlike oversized steel are non-magnetic.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-10-20 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 02:20 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I need 2 more post before I can upload pics.
update #1 . The fork is bent. Do you know how many threadless 1 in forks are currently made? I found 3. A steel one that's about $100 and heavy, a full carbon one from China that's really light and of questionable durability (also about $100). The winner was one made by Richey coming in at $200. I tried looking for a used fork, but couldn't find the tube length I needed.
The Columbus Minimal fork is available with a 1" carbon steerer.

You'd want the pre-painted one or to have someone clear coat the ready-to-paint version sold to frame builders.
Old 03-10-20, 08:12 PM
kocour

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sequoia, 1980 Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Handsome Devil (from Minneapolis bike builder)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
The bike looks great. I think that you will get $800 worth of enjoyment from your investment. I had a similar situation with a chrome 1980 Schwinn Voyageur that I bought for only $75 at a garage sale. I road it for a few weeks and then cracked the seat stay. I had it repaired and re-chromed. That was expensive, but even more costly - my research on that bike lead me to this forum. That lead me to buy a second 1980 Schwinn and a used Bianchi L'Eroica. My spouse says that N+1 must not exceed 5 - my current bike count.
Old 03-10-20, 09:11 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
That was a nice score.
Old 03-11-20, 07:33 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Yep you scored big time. $100 for a Ti bike....yep.
Old 03-11-20, 09:20 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Your chain my be a bit long. The rear derailleur looks to be fully retracted when you have two cogs remaining.

Nice score & job putting together.
Old 03-11-20, 12:19 PM
Dalvis

Oh, the chain is definitely too long. I assumed the chain was the appropriate length (it came with the 7800 group). I was wrong.
I may have spent too much building it up. At the end of the day, I like they way it looks and I've wanted a titanium frame for the past 20 years (but I didn't want to spend the $). I'll be curious what I think after a 30 or 40 mile ride.
I haven't ridden since my son was born 2 years ago and now I'm excited about getting back on the road.
So financially, not the best decision. If it gets me riding, then it's worth it.

This forum is great. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Dwayne
​​​​
Old 03-11-20, 12:22 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I think you made out like a bandit.